Proposal: Victor Rask for Another Underperforming Forward

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Heinen is the guy you want from Boston.

Down year. Put up 50 last year. Oh and it’s only his second full season. Potential there. But will need a new contract soon.

Rask is exactly what the Bs need

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Heinen is the guy you want from Boston.

Down year. Put up 50 last year. Oh and it’s only his second full season. Potential there. But will need a new contract soon.

Rask is exactly what the Bs need

I’ll admit I haven’t seen much of Heinen outside of his rookie season but moving him for a $4 mil #3 center seems risky without reward

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Niederreiter?
As much as Nino is mediocre so far this year, Rask would be a downgrade, and is a LS downgrade at that. Wild are fine with bottom six C's, it's the top 6 C's that will become the issue in future years.

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I would trade Heinen or Bjork Carolina's choice and maybe throw in Cehlarik for Rask if the Canes retain some salary.

Reactions: JCRO

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As much as Nino is mediocre this year, Rask would be a downgrade, and is a LS downgrade at that. Wild are fine with bottom six C's, it's the top 6 C's that will become the issue in future years.

Rask is arguably a middle 6 C. He’s scored 45-50 points twice now, and look what happened to Elias Lindholm after leaving Carolina.

As far as the deal, it’s basically swapping a middle 6 left handed winger for a middle 6 left handed center. If Nino has a bit of a higher ceiling, call it fair for us getting the center back. Eriksson Ek isn’t ready for the NHL and he should be getting top offensive minutes in Iowa. A middle 6 center at the age of 25 would be an excellent addition to our roster.

A change of scenery deal is exactly the type of deal we should be trying to make, especially with a new GM coming in. We’ve been deploying the same basic core for years now and it hasn’t led to anything.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Brassard for Rask certainly fits the mold of other reclamation project type trades Rutherford has made in the past, it's in the same mold as Perron for Hagelin and Hagelin for Pearson. The excessive term Rask has left may complicate that, though.

Could expand it: Brassard and Rust for Rask and X. Swap and C and W at the same time. Brass is an upgrade over Rask but without term. Do the Canes have an upgrade over Rust without the term? Looking at their roster, I guess the fit would be Justin Williams? I'm not sure I want a 37yo who was never accused of being fast...

If only we Still had Daniel Sprong, we could be adding a D man from CAR in that X position...

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I’ll admit I haven’t seen much of Heinen outside of his rookie season but moving him for a $4 mil #3 center seems risky without reward
I think Boston adds a tiny bit more. Maybe a B/C level prospect (Cehlarik, Fitzgerald) or a 3rd/4th rounder.

Carolina gets a young winger whose put points on the board and is on his entry level deal until after next season and is a RFA.

Boston gets the 3rd line center they desperately need at an affordable cap hit with term.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Rask is arguably a middle 6 C. He’s scored 45-50 points twice now, and look what happened to Elias Lindholm after leaving Carolina.

As far as the deal, it’s basically swapping a middle 6 left handed winger for a middle 6 left handed center. If Nino has a bit of a higher ceiling, call it fair for us getting the center back. Eriksson Ek isn’t ready for the NHL and he should be getting top offensive minutes in Iowa. A middle 6 center at the age of 25 would be an excellent addition to our roster.

A change of scenery deal is exactly the type of deal we should be trying to make, especially with a new GM coming in. We’ve been deploying the same basic core for years now and it hasn’t led to anything.
Agreed. It's not a slam dunk or anything and I love Nino, but swapping him for a middle-6 C of about the same age is worth considering.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Aren't you a bit frightened by his start to the year? He's at Johanssonian levels, right now. Maybe wait and see if he can actually play? Like I said, as bad as Nino has been relative to expectations, he's a rock star compared to Rask. Rask is a bottom six C...calling him a middle six C is inaccurate. If he was a 2C, or even a good 3C, CAR would be keeping him.

Reactions: McSuper

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Aren't you a bit frightened by his start to the year? He's at Johanssonian levels, right now. Maybe wait and see if he can actually play? Like I said, as bad as Nino has been relative to expectations, he's a rock star compared to Rask. Rask is a bottom six C...calling him a middle six C is inaccurate. If he was a 2C, or even a good 3C, CAR would be keeping him.

It’s not like he’s a rookie, he’s proven he can produce at a certain level in the NHL in the past. And as far as I’m concerned, Nino’s a 40 point player on Minnesota as well as long as he’s on the third line.

It’s a change of scenery trade, you take on a little risk, you shake things up and hope something clicks. If it pays off, Rask could be a 55 point center for us, and he’s 25, which means he’ll be around long after Staal and Koivu. We need someone who can play center at that age.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
"If Eric Staal was still a top-6 center, wouldn't someone offer him more than $3.5m per season? Wouldn't Carolina have extended him?"
"If Elias Lindholm was a top-6 center, would Carolina have traded him?"
"If Jared Spurgeon had top-4 upside, the Islanders would have signed him."
"If Nino was a top-6 winger, Minnesota would be keeping him."

Sometimes good players look worse than they are because of a bad situation.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Johnny Gaudreau happened.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
"If Eric Staal was still a top-6 center, wouldn't someone offer him more than $3.5m per season? Wouldn't Carolina have extended him?"
"If Elias Lindholm was a top-6 center, would Carolina have traded him?"
"If Jared Spurgeon had top-4 upside, the Islanders would have signed him."
"If Nino was a top-6 winger, Minnesota would be keeping him."

Sometimes good players look worse than they are because of a bad situation.
Staal had a track record of being a great player, with a 100pt. season, multiple 70+ pt. seasons, and a Cup under his belt.
Spurgeon cost NOTHING.
Nino(#5oa pick, and still very young when acquired) cost Clutterbuck and a 3rd.
Rask doesn't compare to any of them.

To me, there's no doubt that CAR would be getting the better player, but I'll grant you that if Nino doesn't start to score like he should then he's no prize, either, though I do like(not love) his game. Just don't see Rask as being someone who does anything for the Wild but add to the meh.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Johnny Gaudreau happened.

Weird how Gaudreau can turn a 45 point player into over a point per game player. Wonder why he hasn't been doing that for the last three years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Weird how Gaudreau can turn a 45 point player into over a point per game player. Wonder why he hasn't been doing that for the last three years.

Well, the easy answer is that he probably didn't have a 45 point player playing on his right wing, looking at the Flames roster over the last 3 years. Looks like he was turning 20 point players into ~40 point players though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Staal had a track record of being a great player, with a 100pt. season, multiple 70+ pt. seasons, and a Cup under his belt.
Spurgeon cost NOTHING.
Nino(#5oa pick, and still very young when acquired) cost Clutterbuck and a 3rd.
Rask doesn't compare to any of them.

To me, there's no doubt that CAR would be getting the better player, but I'll grant you that if Nino doesn't start to score like he should then he's no prize, either, though I do like(not love) his game. Just don't see Rask as being someone who does anything for the Wild but add to the meh.
I'm not really making an argument for trading Nino for Rask. If that were to happen I'd like something added on Carolina's end, but considering our needs and surpluses it's worth considering.

More broadly though, Rask is the sort of guy that we should be considering. Someone with a track record in the NHL that says he could be doing better than he is right now in the right situation. If we're only looking to acquire players that are doing great right now they're going to be either overpriced or unavailable.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not really making an argument for trading Nino for Rask. If that were to happen I'd like something added on Carolina's end, but considering our needs and surpluses it's worth considering.

More broadly though, Rask is the sort of guy that we should be considering. Someone with a track record in the NHL that says he could be doing better than he is right now in the right situation. If we're only looking to acquire players that are doing great right now they're going to be either overpriced or unavailable.

I don't think Carolina adds. Center vs. wing and over a million dollars cheaper balances it out.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well, the easy answer is that he probably didn't have a 45 point player playing on his right wing, looking at the Flames roster over the last 3 years. Looks like he was turning 20 point players into ~40 point players though.

I'm trying to think of another player that can literally double their linemates production. I'm coming up short. Maybe Rantanen? How is this guy not the Hart winner every year? He even turned a 34 point Monahan into a 60-65 point Monahan. Absolutely insane.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm trying to think of another player that can literally double their linemates production. I'm coming up short. Maybe Rantanen? How is this guy not the Hart winner every year? He even turned a 34 point Monahan into a 60-65 point Monahan. Absolutely insane.

It's weird to me how shocked you are about the effect that playing with great players can have on production. Do you honestly think that Lindholm was some hidden PPG player that would have flourished in any other situation except Carolina? He landed in a prime spot on a very talented line with 2 very good players that have seemed to find chemistry quickly, and his production has jumped.

You're taking things way too literal. You're smarter than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad