Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) - Part II (Heading to UFA, Playing at the WCs)

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I am so glad he’s back!

Perfect timing (for me) too. I was at the game. I think it’s safe to say that I wouldn’t have got to see buffalo win if Olofsson didn’t come back tonight.

Reactions: Mitts888

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Feels like Jack gets 2/3 points a game with Olofsson in the lineup and was a ppg player without him. Amazing what Jack will be able to do when insulated by a legit 2C.

Reactions: Rasmi

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
They need to keep Eichel and Olofsson together in any future overtimes, he has already passed Reinhart in career OT goals. :laugh:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I dunno what the advanced stats and stuff say but to my eyes he is the second most dangerous forward on the team. Maybe it’s the Jack effect but I don’t think that’s entirely it... He’s so good at reading the play and finding soft spots to get open, and he is smart and calm with the puck. Doesn’t get bullied along the walls like you would expect at his size. Great heads up play on the Jack goal tonight, I fully expected him to shoot.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I dunno what the advanced stats and stuff say but to my eyes he is the second most dangerous forward on the team. Maybe it’s the Jack effect but I don’t think that’s entirely it... He’s so good at reading the play and finding soft spots to get open, and he is smart and calm with the puck. Great heads up play on the Jack goal tonight, I fully expected him to shoot.

Really well said, Rasmi! Having Olofsson as the shoot first triggerman is a night and day difference to when he was out of the line up. He really has elite winger written all over him and as Jack said on the Spittin Chiclets podcast, "this guy could score 30 in his sleep." I would not be suprised to see a 40 goal 75 point season out of him next year.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Really well said, Rasmi! Having Olofsson as the shoot first triggerman is a night and day difference to when he was out of the line up. He really has elite winger written all over him and as Jack said on the Spittin Chiclets podcast, "this guy could score 30 in his sleep." I would not be suprised to see a 40 goal 75 point season out of him next year.
Agreed! And I believe Jack actually said he could score 40 in his sleep! And that he has the best shot he’s ever been on the ice with. I don’t wanna get my hopes up too much but he looking more and more like a dynamite top line winger.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Jack: “Hey VO”...
VO: “Hey Eich’s”...
Jack: “Wanna get paid”?...
VO: “Sure Eich’s....
Jack: “Shoot when I pass...and vice versa”..
VO: “That’s it?....
Jack: “Yup”...
Reminded me of this:
92594B5C-F040-4B09-8126-076EC9E31376.gif
2DFAF691-9328-4A7E-AE88-B771107DE890.gif

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I saw the "Grillin 'em" video with Andrew Peters interviewing VO. Victor mentioned he had an older brother. I was curious and looked him up on hockeydb and then Wikipedia.

Here's the opening paragraph of Jesper Oloffson's bio:

"Jesper Olofsson (born November 26, 1993) is a Swedish professional ice hockey player. He is currently under contract with Färjestad BK of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL). He is the brother of the greatest power play goal scorer in NHL history."

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Olofsson brings something to the table that we need--scoring. But he is a one trick pony. Scoring from same place on ice which is quite defendable. Does not score much on the rush and despite a pro for several years his defence is not great. Needs a great centre to score because like everyone but Jack cannot drive a line by himself. Hard to find in front of net and a liability in the corner. If cap goes up a few percent a year for several years then MAYBE that is a good contract. On the other hand we paid 9 million for Skinner so maybe that is the way the Sabres will go.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Olofsson brings something to the table that we need--scoring. But he is a one trick pony. Scoring from same place on ice which is quite defendable. Does not score much on the rush and despite a pro for several years his defence is not great. Needs a great centre to score because like everyone but Jack cannot drive a line by himself. Hard to find in front of net and a liability in the corner. If cap goes up a few percent a year for several years then MAYBE that is a good contract. On the other hand we paid 9 million for Skinner so maybe that is the way the Sabres will go.
I’d love to see what he could do on a secondary scoring line. But we’d need a secondary scoring line center first.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’d love to see what he could do on a secondary scoring line. But we’d need a secondary scoring line center first.

It seems simple to look at what they have and rework a 2nd scoring line.

I have been relatively unimpressed with Victor's return from injury. He looks like he did at the start of the season - his timing at 5-on-5 is not there and some of his short area quickness is lacking, which is understandable given his ankle issues.

Of anyone on the team who could use a high-end playmaker to mesh with, it would be VO. Skinner needs d-zone coverage and someone to cycle him the puck. Vic needs it in his wheelhouse delivered with touch.

Reactions: Kyndig

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It seems simple to look at what they have and rework a 2nd scoring line.

I have been relatively unimpressed with Victor's return from injury. He looks like he did at the start of the season - his timing at 5-on-5 is not there and some of his short area quickness is lacking, which is understandable given his ankle issues.

Of anyone on the team who could use a high-end playmaker to mesh with, it would be VO. Skinner needs d-zone coverage and someone to cycle him the puck. Vic needs it in his wheelhouse delivered with touch.
I think the biggest problem with VO on Jack’s line is how much he needs Jack to do almost everything to set up his scoring chances. Jack not at 100% has really hurt him.

I’d love to see them try to put another scoring line together. I think simply being away from the attention a lien with Jack on it gets would help VO. It should give him more time and space to make an impact.

The underlying numbers (CF%/SF%/SCF%/HDCF%, etc) between Skinner/Jack/Sam and VO/Jack/Sam are heavily in favor of the Skinner combo. VO doesn’t bring much outside of his shot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the biggest problem with VO on Jack’s line is how much he needs Jack to do almost everything to set up his scoring chances. Jack not at 100% has really hurt him.

I’d love to see them try to put another scoring line together. I think simply being away from the attention any line with Jack gets would help VO get more time and space to make an impact.

The underlying numbers (CF%/SF%/SCF%/HDCF%, etc) between Skinner/Jack/Sam and VO/Jack/Sam are heavily in favor of the Skinner combo. VO doesn’t bring much outside of his shot.

Yep. He needs the entry and the pass to get that bomb off, both things Jack can do single handedly. I'm interested to see how he does with MJ handling the place-setting and entry job given today's practice lines. Johansson seems like he can be a poor-man's version of that, but Victor needs to find a way to be better at cycle and retrieval instead of just turning the puck over.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yep. He needs the entry and the pass to get that bomb off, both things Jack can do single handedly. I'm interested to see how he does with MJ handling the place-setting and entry job given today's practice lines. Johansson seems like he can be a poor-man's version of that, but Victor needs to find a way to be better at cycle and retrieval instead of just turning the puck over.
Maybe Kahun can be the set up guy with Mojo as the defensive conscience. Assuming that line stays together.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad