Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) - Part II (Heading to UFA, Playing at the WCs)

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
what if he goes > ppg? Do we give him 6-7 then?

Well, then the problem gets even more delicate! I think the golden standard must be a William Karlsson contract then. But then again Karlsson had more NHL-experience. It would be very weird if he went above the Karlsson contract (adjusted for total cap space at point of signing)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I give VO a 8 year big $ deal before I give Sam one. Sam has been soft and average all year. If he didn't play 20+ mins a night with Eichel he would struggle to have better then a .5 ppg.

VO has been our 2nd best forward ainec.

Hopefully Botts can pull offer something like 8/50 or 7/45.5

Par for the course with the potshot at Reinhart. That silliness notwithstanding, I'm looking at signing him long-term, as well. I don't think they even need to go to those numbers you referenced. Botts should be offering something like 6 x $5.25M right now. I think VO would take it.

And if he didn't, I'd move him down to the second line for 10 games, and after he scores 3 pts in those 10 games, I'd offer it again to see if he changed his mind. :laugh:

Reactions: sabrebuild

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
His all around gamed has improved immensely wouldn't be surprised after a couple off-seasons he's hitting 40 goals and be ppg could turn into a top 10 winger next to eichel

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
I mean, he’s on pace for 36 goals, 77 pts. I don’t know that he needs any more off seasons.
Off-seasons more for the conditioning and right now he has gotten better at protecting the puck but tends to still get muscled off at times and overall he could get a tad faster

Reactions: sabrebuild

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
A little bit offtopic that already might have been mentioned, but Örnsköldsvik, the town Olofsson is from is such a crazy town. A population of 30 000 and has produced NHL players like Olofsson(I'll put him first since it in his thread ;)), Peter Forsberg, Victor Hedman, Sedin twins, Markus Näslund and a few more not as known.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
A little bit offtopic that already might have been mentioned, but Örnsköldsvik, the town Olofsson is from is such a crazy town. A population of 30 000 and has produced NHL players like Olofsson(I'll put him first since it in his thread ;)), Peter Forsberg, Victor Hedman, Sedin twins, Markus Näslund and a few more not as known.

And a few of these less known are Anders Hedberg, Toby Enström and Niklas Sundström :)

Last edited:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

I live in Övik. Like half the town is owned by NHLers; the local golf course, most of the newer condo houses, the marina, the biggest hotel and so on. The NHL has done well for our economy. Strangely I never see any of those guys on the town though. I think I've seen one of the Sedins once or twice, that's about it.

Also, some other notable Örnsköldsvik locals are Tomas Haake and Mårten Hagström of Meshuggah, if anyone's into metal. It also hit me just now that Mårten wore a Sabres jersey in the New Millennium Cyanide Christ video.

Last edited:

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
I live in Övik. Like half the town is owned by NHLers; the local golf course, most of the newer condo houses, the marina, the biggest hotel and so on. The NHL has done well for our economy. Strangely I never see any of those guys on the town though. I think I've seen one of the Sedins once or twice, that's about it.

Also, some other notable Örnsköldsvik locals are Tomas Haake and Mårten Hagström of Meshuggah, if anyone's into metal.
Doesn't johnny chow(sorry if misspelled) the bass player play for stoned sour now he's a local from buffalo
Edit: Nevermind wrong band

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Par for the course with the potshot at Reinhart. That silliness notwithstanding, I'm looking at signing him long-term, as well. I don't think they even need to go to those numbers you referenced. Botts should be offering something like 6 x $5.25M right now. I think VO would take it.

And if he didn't, I'd move him down to the second line for 10 games, and after he scores 3 pts in those 10 games, I'd offer it again to see if he changed his mind. :laugh:

Yes it may be a bit unfair to Reinhart as he at least has produced quite well, but if a player is getting over 20:20 mins a game and is centered by a superstar? He should be doing even better. If Sam is able to be extended at 6 mil per at most then I have no problem keeping him here. It is when people try to say Sam deserves or will def get 7-8 mil per is when I want him gone.

As for VO, 5.25 per seems a tad low, especially if he gets 35+ goals and/or 70+ points. Granted I am sure he knows Eichel inflates his stats but still, outside of Skinner last year no other Jack winger has reached 30+ goals.

With Jack making 10, Skinner already at 9, this team cannot afford to pay 6-8 per to sam and 6-7 to VO, especially with Okposo making 6 mil per for THREE more seasons.

And who will go on record stating they would keep Sam over Olofsson?

As for him going onto line 2, I am all for that for a few weeks. Skinner is snake bit. He needs a nice 10 game stretch on Jacks wing. Hell, why not really stack up the top line and put VO at RW where he has been at in the past in Sweden. He already plays there on the PP, I would love to see Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson.

Reactions: Mortiz

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Yes it may be a bit unfair to Reinhart as he at least has produced quite well, but if a player is getting over 20:20 mins a game and is centered by a superstar? He should be doing even better. If Sam is able to be extended at 6 mil per at most then I have no problem keeping him here. It is when people try to say Sam deserves or will def get 7-8 mil per is when I want him gone.

As for VO, 5.25 per seems a tad low, especially if he gets 35+ goals and/or 70+ points. Granted I am sure he knows Eichel inflates his stats but still, outside of Skinner last year no other Jack winger has reached 30+ goals.

With Jack making 10, Skinner already at 9, this team cannot afford to pay 6-8 per to sam and 6-7 to VO, especially with Okposo making 6 mil per for THREE more seasons.

And who will go on record stating they would keep Sam over Olofsson?

As for him going onto line 2, I am all for that for a few weeks. Skinner is snake bit. He needs a nice 10 game stretch on Jacks wing. Hell, why not really stack up the top line and put VO at RW where he has been at in the past in Sweden. He already plays there on the PP, I would love to see Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson.

let's repeat the Housley mistake of last year in breaking up a first line that is one of the best in the NHL

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Well damn he better step up his game if he wants to show his face back home.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
let's repeat the Housley mistake of last year in breaking up a first line that is one of the best in the NHL

Don't see a problem doing it if it A. jumpstarts Skinner and gets him going again and B. if VO is able to produce more then Skinner has playing on line 2.

Don't get it twisted. That top line is all Eichel. We saw in Philly what happens without him. It is great top line because of #9. VO is great but if you keep VO and Sam on wing and replace Eichel with another center, even a 50+ point one it is not going to be a great top line.

Regardless if its Skinner or VO at LW that line will produce the same. Eichel is the engine that does ALL

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Don't see a problem doing it if it A. jumpstarts Skinner and gets him going again and B. if VO is able to produce more then Skinner has playing on line 2.

Don't get it twisted. That top line is all Eichel. We saw in Philly what happens without him. It is great top line because of #9. VO is great but if you keep VO and Sam on wing and replace Eichel with another center, even a 50+ point one it is not going to be a great top line.

Regardless if its Skinner or VO at LW that line will produce the same. Eichel is the engine that does ALL

won't work as well with Skinner as Skinner is one who needs the puck more than does VO. Will hurt Eichel's goal scoring.

Skinner will score more, but VO will end up scoring less than Skinner's increase in production

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Olofsson hasn’t earned any big money yet so Botts should be in a good position.
4 on long term would mean that all his worries are gone. His agent would probably want more but would Olofsson really say no to 4.2x8?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Olofsson hasn’t earned any big money yet so Botts should be in a good position.
4 on long term would mean that all his worries are gone. His agent would probably want more but would Olofsson really say no to 4.2x8?

I can see them sign VO to a "prove it" contract. I'd say a 2 year $3.5 million deal.

Why would they, as a player/agent decide to leave serious money, knowing the player has been a prolific goal scorer in Sweden, in the AHL, and is up there in the NHL for goal scoring? He's a guy that has scored goals with all types of centers. I don't see them not giving up an opportunity to really cash in, but I think they will understand Buffalo will need to see him perform like this for a couple more years before committing big money.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I can see them sign VO to a "prove it" contract. I'd say a 2 year $3.5 million deal.

Why would they, as a player/agent decide to leave serious money, knowing the player has been a prolific goal scorer in Sweden, in the AHL, and is up there in the NHL for goal scoring? He's a guy that has scored goals with all types of centers. I don't see them not giving up an opportunity to really cash in, but I think they will understand Buffalo will need to see him perform like this for a couple more years before committing big money.
My argument would be that Olofsson hasn’t earned any big money yet. Should be enticing to go for long term on a decent deal.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
My argument would be that Olofsson hasn’t earned any big money yet. Should be enticing to go for long term on a decent deal.

He's on pace for 75 points in his "rookie year". He's a guy who has produced in every league he's playing. He's not going to agree on a long term small cap hit deal. His agent will take advantage of the benefit of playing with Eichel. They won't sign a long term deal unless it's a big cap hit. We're not getting THAT term with that cap hit 8 years @ 4.2 million. We might get that Cap hit with a 2 or 3 year deal.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Only caught the end of the game tonight and didn't see Olofsson out there but he was dressed. Did he leave hurt or get benched?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad