Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) - Part II (Heading to UFA, Playing at the WCs)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe Kahun can be the set up guy with Mojo as the defensive conscience. Assuming that line stays together.

After some early work, I would hope so. Kahun seems to cut to openings and make short passes to open players near the net. It's sort of refreshing. Vic has some abilities to set up in soft spots to get his shot off too.

What I wonder at is if they'll be able to do anything with the puck if that isn't the option. MJ is so pass-first and everyone knows it. That line will have to be dogged in pursuit to win any pucks on shoot ins if carries are sealed off too. We'll have to see. Maybe they click.

Reactions: joshjull

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Sometimes going back to basic counting stats really does help tell a story.

In VO's last 15 games (5 games pre-injury, 10 games since he's returned):
  • 3g, 3a, 6 pts
  • 32 shots
  • Averaging 17:51 total ice time per game (3rd most among forwards)
Of his three goals, two were on the PP, one was in OT (3 on 3). So he has zero 5v5 goals during the stretch.

I'm not down on the kid, his shot is still as dynamic as ever, but it's clear that the lineup has needed a shakeup since mid-December.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If we luck into Lafreniere I would consider looking to see if we could get a 2C for him..

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Assuming that a contract is in the making here: What kind of offers do you guys think Victor will get?

Considering that Victor is 24 and a late bloomer, I would assume that Victor wants as long term as possible.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Assuming that a contract is in the making here: What kind of offers do you guys think Victor will get?

Considering that Victor is 24 and a late bloomer, I would assume that Victor wants as long term as possible.

I'm hoping he gets a minimum of a 4 year deal. Ideally I'd go 4m for 5 years.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Olofsson @ 5 per for 5-6 years sounds good to me. Now you have a 25-30 goal scorer with wheels signed for his entire prime at a great price.

As for his slump I think it is laughable that is being brought up as some major concern when Sam "untouchable" Reinhart, with the season on the line put up a pathetic ZERO points and a -9 the last 8 games when Jack was playing hurt. Yeah, the guy so many feel OK with paying 7+ mil per, who is absolutely mediocre without Eichel doing all the work to get Sam production literally was useless when we needed someone to step up to make the playoffs. Oh and in those last 8 useless games Sam had, he received 19:36+ in toi in 7 of the 8 and the one game under that ice time amount he played 18:51. Sam literally got 1C minutes in all 8 of those zero production games. In his last 11 games, he went scoreless in 10 of them. 2 f***ing points in the last 11 must win games and 10 of them pointless even though he got 20:55+ toi in 7 of those 11 games.

And yet we are concerned about a true rookie having a mini slump. SMH.

Olofsson is easily the 3rd most valuable forward in this organization behind Eichel and Cozens. Olofsson is definitely more important then Reinhart. VO has 22-24-46 in his 60 career games. That is a 30-30 pace as a true ROOKIE.

On a franchise that has had 2 30+ goal scorers this last decade (Eichel+Skinner) , VO is a must have piece.

I want VO here long term as Cozens LW for the next half decade while high end goal scorer Skinner stays with Jack.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Olofsson @ 5 per for 5-6 years sounds good to me. Now you have a 25-30 goal scorer with wheels signed for his entire prime at a great price.

As for his slump I think it is laughable that is being brought up as some major concern when Sam "untouchable" Reinhart, with the season on the line put up a pathetic ZERO points and a -9 the last 8 games when Jack was playing hurt. Yeah, the guy so many feel OK with paying 7+ mil per, who is absolutely mediocre without Eichel doing all the work to get Sam production literally was useless when we needed someone to step up to make the playoffs. Oh and in those last 8 useless games Sam had, he received 19:36+ in toi in 7 of the 8 and the one game under that ice time amount he played 18:51. Sam literally got 1C minutes in all 8 of those zero production games. In his last 11 games, he went scoreless in 10 of them. 2 f***ing points in the last 11 must win games and 10 of them pointless even though he got 20:55+ toi in 7 of those 11 games.

And yet we are concerned about a true rookie having a mini slump. SMH.

Olofsson is easily the 3rd most valuable forward in this organization behind Eichel and Cozens. Olofsson is definitely more important then Reinhart. VO has 22-24-46 in his 60 career games. That is a 30-30 pace as a true ROOKIE.

On a franchise that has had 2 30+ goal scorers this last decade (Eichel+Skinner) , VO is a must have piece.

I want VO here long term as Cozens LW for the next half decade while high end goal scorer Skinner stays with Jack.
What is a "true rookie"? Olofsson is a few months older than Reinhart and has been playing pro hockey longer. Yes, he was a rookie and had to make many adjustments to the NHL but using the phrase "true rookie" seems very misleading.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just like the previous 2 seasons he appeared in, Olofsson was on the score sheet in his first game of the season.

I think Olofsson is most definitely an underrated and underappreciated player here and throughout the league. Because he is already 25, turning 26 in July and still needs to play 21 more games to even have a full seasons worth of games to his resume I think he does not get the respect league wide he deserves. The guy is a damn good player. In fact, outside of Jack, Cozens and Hall I think Olofsson is right with Jack Quinn and above Reinhart in terms of forwards who are most essential to this team.

In 61 career games Olofsson has

23 goals, 25 assists and 48 points. Over a full season that is equivalent to a 31 goal, 34 assist, 65 point season. What is even crazier is that his productivity should be even higher. Olofsson, like virtually the entire Sabre squad post TDL last season went completely cold. He went on a 7 game pointless streak the 2 games prior to the TDL and 5 games after it. Luckily he ended the season with points in the last 2 games giving him a 3 game point streak going to last season. A guy who is essentially a 30 goal, 60 point forward in his mid 20s making a tad over 3 mil per is just an incredible steal. That is how you bridge. And when it comes to Olofsson or Reinhart, they are only 4 months apart in age and both on short term deals and both have RFA status at the end of their deals. Reinharts deal expires this summer while Olofssons in summer of 2022. I think it is clear that if the Sabres are able to keep Hall long term that it simply is not possible to keep Hall, Jack, Dahlin, Reinhart AND Olofsson long term, especially with Okposo and Skinners deal both on the books and Dylan Cozens ELC ending 1 season after VOs bridge.

When it comes down to Sam and VO on who I keep long term, it is Olofsson and I don't even have to think twice. He is more dynamic, with a better shot by far. Better goal scorer without a doubt, a better skater and just a bigger offensive threat. Sam is a fine player but at a 5.2 mil AAV and UFA years that will need to be bought, it just is not worth to pay 7-8 mil for Sam to get 50-60 points along with needing to be stapled to Jack. Olofsson is a player who seems to be able to play with any center talented and skilled enough to feed VO some nice passes and just fits better long term. The idea of giving Seattle Reinhart if they take Okposos last 2 years is a great idea IMO and frees up the cap space to give Dahlin his new contract this summer and Olofssons too.

Even though VO is actually older then Sam, I believe he actually has untapped potential being a late bloomer and only having 61 career games under his belt whilst Sam has over 400 career games and entering his 6th full season. I don't see Sam being able to produce a season offensively much better then the career year he had in 18-19 which was 65 points. I could see him maybe hitting 70 but he seems to be a~55 to 60 point player and a nearly finished product. Olofsson on the other hand is a player I believe has the potential to reach 40 goals in a season. Before his 7 game pointless streak, Olofsson was on pace for 35 goals and 75 points last season. As a rookie. On a team that has been atrocious offensively the entire 2010s.That is why VO has untapped potential and I can see him scoring 35-40 goals perennially to go with 70-75 points per. At the very least VO is going to be a 30-30 player and those are always valuable.

Olofsson is a special talent and by far one of the best 7th round picks in recent league history. If Sam was willing to sign for ~5.5-5.8 per for say 4-5 years and we were able to get out of Okposos contract without paying dearly then by all means I would love to keep both. But it just does not seem to be possible to keep both VO and Sam especially if we try to keep Taylor Hall. It sucks that Okposo still has 2 more seasons after this one and is stubborn to keep playing selfishly for the money when he clearly is a wreck physically and on the ice and barely NHL caliber anymore. Skinner is also a bad contract currently but that also has to do with his coach for some reason despising him not playing him with Jack even though he put up the first 40 goal Sabre campaign in nearly a decade.

As for VOs next contract, he will 27 when his next deal starts. A 6 year deal sounds good to me, keeping him here for his ages 27,28,29,30,31 and 32 year old seasons. I think 200 goals throughout that 6 year span is a lock, with Jack or with Cozens as his center. As for the salary, with him making 3.05 on his current deal I think we could get him signed for 6 mil at the most. His lack of experience at his current age even though it isn't really an issue could be used in contract negotiations to keep his salary below the 7 mil per mark. A 6/38-40 type deal is fair for both sides. 6.33 to 6.66 per for 6 years is great value for a 30-40 goal scorer.

He is starting this year like he did the last one. This guy is special. I want him here for a long time.

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
Isn't Olofsson a way better fit for the first line than Thompson? He doesn't need the puck as much as Hall and Eichel does, just gotta get in position to unleash his shot. Hall and Olofsson found each other nicely in the PP atleast.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Isn't Olofsson a way better fit for the first line than Thompson? He doesn't need the puck as much as Hall and Eichel does, just gotta get in position to unleash his shot. Hall and Olofsson found each other nicely in the PP atleast.
Olofsson in terms of production wasn't exactly great 5on5 last season so I don't know how obvious it is. That said the top 6 looked bad. I think an easy fix to try is something like:
Hall - Eichel - Olofsson
Skinner - Staal - Reinhart

It's not the only way, though. You could put Reinhart on the top line. Basically if you have Hall-Eichel there are a bunch of options for the RW that I don't think are any more obvious than the next. You could even put Cozens there if he steadies his play, not that I'm advocating that.

Member 308457

The team as constructed, asides from maybe a handful of exceptions, are a bunch of fairies.

Reactions: DJN21

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Olofsson in terms of production wasn't exactly great 5on5 last season so I don't know how obvious it is. That said the top 6 looked bad. I think an easy fix to try is something like:
Hall - Eichel - Olofsson
Skinner - Staal - Reinhart

It's not the only way, though. You could put Reinhart on the top line. Basically if you have Hall-Eichel there are a bunch of options for the RW that I don't think are any more obvious than the next. You could even put Cozens there if he steadies his play, not that I'm advocating that.
I know everyone wants Hall and Eichel together, but it feels to me like they both provide similar things. Each line needs someone that likes to spend time around the net vs skating and puck handling or cycling everywhere. In our top six to me that is Stall and Skinner. So they need to be separated. Hall and Eichel need to be separated. So as I see it..

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Hall - Staal - Olofsson

This makes the most sense to me for what we have.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I know everyone wants Hall and Eichel together, but it feels to me like they both provide similar things. Each line needs someone that likes to spend time around the net vs skating and puck handling or cycling everywhere. In our top six to me that is Stall and Skinner. So they need to be separated. Hall and Eichel need to be separated. So as I see it..

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Hall - Staal - Olofsson

This makes the most sense to me for what we have.
I don't really care about them being together but clearly they are going to be at least for a while

Member 308457

Victor is a 7th rounder who shows our so-called #1 round draft choices how to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad