Rumor: Victor Mete has requested a trade.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From Friedman 31 thoughts:

Friedman also had this one:

6. It will surprise no one to know Pittsburgh was one of the teams that asked about Mete. (It’s believed they also poked around Toronto for Travis Dermott. Basically, if you’re a defenceman, they asked about you.) The Canadiens can’t take back money, so it’s basically dollar in, dollar out. Plus, they do like Mete.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Friedman also had this one:

6. It will surprise no one to know Pittsburgh was one of the teams that asked about Mete. (It’s believed they also poked around Toronto for Travis Dermott. Basically, if you’re a defenceman, they asked about you.) The Canadiens can’t take back money, so it’s basically dollar in, dollar out. Plus, they do like Mete.

Pittsburgh is not a good fit for a trade with Mete except if they want to our PO Joseph but I doubt they would do it. Bergevin want a player back (probably a D and I don’t see a guy we could target)

Jul 6, 2016
we aren't in the business of making people happy, we are here to win and finally has a team that can hopefully compete for a cup so we need to do what's best for the Habs not Mete.

but struggling for several years? no way.

2017-2020- 171 games - +27

that leads all Hab blueliners and is 2nd OA on the team behind Danault.

NHL Stats

the problem has been the lack of offense but,

'17-'18 - 7 pts in 49 games (.14 ppg)
'18-'19 - 13 pts in 71 games (.18 ppg)
'19-'20 - 11 pts in 51 games (.22 ppg)

so his ppg has improved every year, not by a lot but still is showing signs of progression which is what you want from a 19 to 21 year old defensemen.

It's been rumored that several teams have reached out to MB on Mete, so if he's been struggling for years, why would teams be interested? The same was said a few years ago about Leks when MB said something along the lines of he's one of the players team asked about the most or something to that effect.

To me these 2 are solid NHLers that are underrated because of their shortcomings (no pun intended) and in other parts for their lack of size on what has been for many years known as a smurf team.

Was Mete asked to play against the best opponent's forwards ? I strongly doubt. Easier to get a good + stats when playing vs bottom liners.

And if you like him so much in the line up, put him with Edmundson on the bottom pairing. Not a rookie like Romanov.

Jul 6, 2016
Pittsburgh is not a good fit for a trade with Mete except if they want to our PO Joseph but I doubt they would do it. Bergevin want a player back (probably a D and I don’t see a guy we could target)

Hakanpaa in Anaheim would be a good target. He is 28, but he has lots of experience and great size - 6'5. He is a RHD, which would help Romanov go back to the left side.

Anyway. Mete should be traded for a draft pick, so there will be space to keep Perry on the regular roster when Armia is back. If a D is needed, Fleury or Ouellet can be brought up.

Last edited:

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Was Mete asked to play against the best opponent's forwards ? I strongly doubt. Easier to get a good + stats when playing vs bottom liners.

And if you like him so much in the line up, put him with Edmundson on the bottom pairing. Not a rookie like Romanov.

Given that he was playing with Weber quite a bit the first season, I'd say yes.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Hakanpaa in Anaheim would be a good target. He is 28, but he has lots of experience and great size - 6'5. He is a RHD, which would help Romanov go back to the left side.

Anyway. Mete should be traded for a draft pick, so there will be space to keep Perry on the regular roster when Armia is back. If a D is needed, Fleury or Ouellet can be brought up.

I actually thought about him this morning ! I would even trade Kulak for him we would save 1m with this trade but Anaheim seem to like him to so I don't think is available

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

No Mete shouldn't be traded at all and not for another freaking draft pick as we have way too many picks to begin with. Mete should be kept on the team in case of injuries/fatigue. I think people get so wrapped up in this "oh he asked for a trade so we need to trade him" no we don't he signed a contract with us so he is a Hab until management deems it other wise.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

He got most of his +/- playing with Weber and Petry in the last two seasons. +20 in 1234 ES minutes with either Petry or Weber in the last two seasons and he's a career +25.

It's crazy just how many false assumptions you parade as truth.

Screenshot-20210202-161902-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20210202-161956-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
He got most of his +/- playing with Weber and Petry in the last two seasons. +20 in 1234 ES minutes with either Petry or Weber in the last two seasons and he's a career +25.

Ok. I was wrong. Mete was not playing sheltered minutes. He was just sheltered by Weber or Petry. He was sent down to Laval at some point to tune up his game. He has the shot of Terry Harper and cannot win any physical battles along the boards or clear the crease. Was sat for the first 8 games if the season. Great d man indeed.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ok. I was wrong. Mete was not playing sheltered minutes. He was just sheltered by Weber or Petry. He was sent down to Laval at some point to tune up his game. He has the shot of Terry Harper and cannot win any physical battles along the boards or clear the crease. Was sat for the first 8 games if the season. Great d man indeed.

Yeah, sheltered on the top 4... n'importe quoi

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He was fine again tonight. But in no way should he ever play over Romanov.

And in no way should he play over Kulak right now either.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Is anyone else done with Mete? I was having him as a 7th D but the trade demand for a bottom pairing guy while the team is on a heater completely turned me off. To bring distraction while your team is winning by Mete screams f*** off and replace. I dunno. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think any player appreciates this stuff from him at this juncture.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Habs had no better options since MB destroyed the whole left side of his D.

It doesn't mean he was "sheltered". They had no better option, they rushed him and he did fine under the circumstances.

That said, Mete need to do more (than just having good underlying numbers) to justify a permanent spot in the lineup.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah, sheltered on the top 4... n'importe quoi

Again, a testament to the poor quality of our D rather than the lights out skills of Mete. always worried the we are in our zone and I see him there. Rushing plays to create nothing, in the end.

Not a fan of the D but, like the kid.

Hope he sits out for Romanov next game. Kulak is a better player than Mete and Romanov is better than both.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Is anyone else done with Mete? I was having him as a 7th D but the trade demand for a bottom pairing guy while the team is on a heater completely turned me off. To bring distraction while your team is winning by Mete screams f*** off and replace. I dunno. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think any player appreciates this stuff from him at this juncture.

I was done with Mete before the trade demand. However, at 735K and with all the NHL experience, you don't trade Mete away. He's a good insurance policy if he plays few minutes against weaker opponents when he fills in. For example, Mete VS Pettersen would be a bad idea. Mete VS McDavid would be a bad idea, etc., etc., etc..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't mind the return I just want him to be happy

I don't want him to be unhappy but he's not our friend either.

My interest in Mete ends when he chooses to make a distraction of himself at a time when the team is soaring.

He wants to use his agent to make public demands? Then face the fallout or don't do it to begin with.

Reactions: HABNIKO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad