NHL: ViaPlay

AvsCarl90

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm
I'm thinking about getting Viaplay later this around christmas/new year. I'm wondering if NHL Network is available from Viaplay Gamecenter (the link to NHL Gamecenter).

Swedish playmaker*

Imo Viaplay is vastly overpriced, at least if you are only interested in accessing the NHL streams. 3000 SEK a year.... I'll stick with my free streams.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
It's okey if you watch American Football too, then you save on NFL Gamepass and NHL Gamepass, and also if you watch series there instead of Netflix = Another 80kr a month that is "saved". Also it can be fun to watch some HA from time to time!

I've been watching crappy streams for years so this season I have gotten myself a Viaplay account and haven't regretted it yet!

AvsCarl90

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm
Imo Viaplay is vastly overpriced, at least if you are only interested in accessing the NHL streams. 3000 SEK a year.... I'll stick with my free streams.

Well if Viaplay had a package without movies and tv shows, just a sport package then the price would obviously be cheaper. For me I'm not interested in the movies and TV Shows, I just want the sports.

On the other hand there's a lot of sports in that package.

NHL (all the games)
Champions League (all the games from the group stage to final)
BPL (not all the games, but the most important games are being broadcasted)
NFL (Monday night football, 3-4 games on sunday and thursday night football. I believe that you get the entire playoffs)
NBA (3 games a week)
Hockey Allsvenskan (kinda crap if you ask me)
Olympics
Some games from World Junior Championship
etc etc

It would be optimal if there was an option to select exactly what sports you wanted in your own package in order to make it a bit cheaper. Maybe that's wishful thinking, though. Just my 2 cents.

AvsCarl90

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm
I have a question about streaming 4 games at once. It should be possible for Scandinavians to do that via the link to the actual NHL GameCenter.

What's the image quality like when you stream four games at once? You know for one game you could get up to 3 Mbps, I think. If I stream four games will each stream get worst quality or are we talking a total of 12 Mbps?

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
I guess it depends on your internet but I can stream 4 games all in 1,6Mbps (second highest possible), and I have no lag. If I stream 4 games at 3Mbps I have a little lag sometimes, but most times it's okey and I can watch all games without lag!

AvsCarl90

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm
I guess it depends on your internet but I can stream 4 games all in 1,6Mbps (second highest possible), and I have no lag. If I stream 4 games at 3Mbps I have a little lag sometimes, but most times it's okey and I can watch all games without lag!

Thank you for the info. I have a follow up question, though. I'm getting a TV later this year around christmas and new years eve. The minimum screen size for that TV would be 40" and the highest will 60".

My question is if the image quality would look good if I connected the laptop to a TV in the 40"-60" range while watching 4 games at the same time?

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
Thank you for the info. I have a follow up question, though. I'm getting a TV later this year around christmas and new years eve. The minimum screen size for that TV would be 40" and the highest will 60".

My question is if the image quality would look good if I connected the laptop to a TV in the 40"-60" range while watching 4 games at the same time?

No problem. I currently have a 60" TV but I have never watched more than one game at a time at the TV, so I have no personal experience on this matter. But I wouldn't see any problems with it as long as your internet is working and you're playing all games in 3Mbps!

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Good thing is you can cancel at any time. I rarely watch games now because it messes up my... dygnsrytm ^^ I will cancel my subscription and get again in time for the playoffs.

AvsCarl90

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm
No problem. I currently have a 60" TV but I have never watched more than one game at a time at the TV, so I have no personal experience on this matter. But I wouldn't see any problems with it as long as your internet is working and you're playing all games in 3Mbps!

Alright, thanks anyway mate. Can't wait to get Viaplay around Christmas.

davmann

May 8, 2013
Torrevieja
Didn't read the previous pages but you could also share your subscription with another person.. and still be able to watch games simultaneously at different locations on different devices.

Not that anyone should do that, and of course I don't :sarcasm:

morukara

Nov 23, 2013
FYI, I've shared the small utility app that I've used for few years to handle some issues with using GameCenter (with Viaplay or not). I posted the information to NHL GameCenter thread (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=74890123&postcount=50) but I decided to share it here too, because I think some Swedes might find this useful too.
---
I've made a utility for GameCenter Live to fix some issues that I've had with it. I thought it might be useful for some others too, and I'm now sharing it (non-commercial, free). I've shared it on a couple of Finnish forums previously.

The features of this application are most useful for users living overseas who don't watch the games live, but some features are useful also for NA users.

The problems with GameCenter:
- If you don't watch the game live, seeing the progress bar may reveal whether the game ends on regulation or not. This is a problem especially with playoff games
- The feed contains often the results bar which is distracting and reveals results from other sports events
- If PC is connected to TV, you have to get up from sofa to skip the commercials and intermissions
- If you have to change DNS settings in order to use NHL GC, it's a bit inconvenient to do it every time using Windows control panel

The solutions:
- Use shortcut keys to skip forward (predefined skip lengths are 1 min, 2 mins (commercials), 5 mins, 18 mins (intermission). Skipping is done by automatically moving the progress indicator.
- Hide the Fox Sports bar which shows results from other games
- Access the main functionality of GCRobohand and GC itself using Web browser (over WLAN)
- Define DNS settings which are used by the system while the application is running

Main requirements and limitations:
- Microsoft Windows
- Supports specific display resolutions (2560x1440, 1920x1080, 1366x768, 1360x768, 1280x800)

More information about it can be found here:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~voas0572/robohand/en/

AvsCarl90

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm
Well you don't really have to get up from the sofa to skip commercials if you have a wireless keyboard like the Logitech K400. It has a built in touchpad.

I have a question, though. When I connect my 13" laptop to my TV, will the resolution be upscaled from 1366x768p to 1920x1080p?

Thanks in advance :)

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
No, only one person can watch at the same time, you could share it, but you wouldn't be able to watch things simultaneously!

This is incorrect.

Viaplay can be used on up to 4 different devices simultaneously. The limitation is that the account gets tied to each device that uses it and there is a time restriction on how often you can remove or replace a device (one every 90 days, iirc).

Basically it has been designed to permit a degree of sharing within the same household.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
This is incorrect.

Viaplay can be used on up to 4 different devices simultaneously. The limitation is that the account gets tied to each device that uses it and there is a time restriction on how often you can remove or replace a device (one every 90 days, iirc).

Basically it has been designed to permit a degree of sharing within the same household.

Oh, I did not know this! Definitely a good feature! Will be used, thanks.

topliner967

Dec 14, 2011
Northern Europe
Has anyone tried the NHL vault service? I very rarely watch games live and don't watch anything but the NHL on viaplay. Since it's just 5$/month it would be much cheaper than paying for the sports package on viaplay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad