NHL: ViaPlay

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I had the "regular" gamecenter last year, and a real positive with viaplay gamecenter is that it doesn't crash when nhl.com does(like tonight). It's the same service, but has its own server apparently.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I think the quality is great, usually link it up with my tv and watch it there and when there's a HD stream it's not that far off from a regular HD-broadcast.

Some movies worth watching every once in a while too.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
The price difference between GCL through viasat and GCL is 900 SEK for this shortened season, which is not worth it if you're not interested in anything but the NHL coverage imo.

I signed up for GCL using a VPN, no blackout problems so far. Expecting things to stabilize within a couple of days, if it doesn't, I think I'll switch to hockeystreams tbh.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The price difference between GCL through viasat and GCL is 900 SEK for this shortened season, which is not worth it if you're not interested in anything but the NHL coverage imo.

I signed up for GCL using a VPN, no blackout problems so far. Expecting things to stabilize within a couple of days, if it doesn't, I think I'll switch to hockeystreams tbh.

That's definitely the worst part if you don't want anything else. I've got viaplay for free so I'm using that, but I also got hockeystreams for some lockout hockey and the site was awfully slow yesterday aswell. At least the price is much cheaper and you kinda expect it there.

As far as the NHL.com Gamecenter goes, it went down several Saturdays or big game days last year. Their servers just can't take the traffic which is pretty bad for such a big league and expensive service.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
I don't watch other sports, but I'll still gladly pay the 250. Just can't be bothered with chasing free streams every night and GC is so damn nice.

It's great that Viaplay's GC is on a different server, like Joe said. Really neat.

Last edited:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Can you cancel your Gamecenter subscription at any time like Viaplay, or do you have to sign up for a longer time?
Also, does it work on a PS3? (viaplay that is)

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Can you cancel your Gamecenter subscription at any time like Viaplay, or do you have to sign up for a longer time?
Also, does it work on a PS3? (viaplay that is)

They just added a viaplay app for PS3. I'm not a paying customer so I can't verify if it's good or works like crap. I was browsing around and it seem to work like Netflix, maybe a bit better since Netflix looks and works like a website from 1998.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I think I'll try it for a month and see how I like it. It's a shame you can't have sports only, as I don't really feel like watching movies that came out 3 years ago :laugh: Seriously, their selection of movies is absolutely awful.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I think I'll try it for a month and see how I like it. It's a shame you can't have sports only, as I don't really feel like watching movies that came out 3 years ago :laugh: Seriously, their selection of movies is absolutely awful.

They used to have some good classics like Bullit, Reservoir Dogs, etc bot nowadays it's basically just direct to DVD crap movies.

Swedish playmaker*

Viaplay just lets you access GameCenter by this link. So it's good.
Stupid to bring that bugg out in the open, as soon as Viaplay finds out about its existence, it will be fixed and thus no more free NHL for anyone. I have used it for 1-2 years now, saving me alot of money.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
In Finland Viaplay costs 16.95 EUR/month (about 141 kr) and you get NHL, movies and tv series. Do you get other sports there than NHL for the deal?

I'll check live games mostly from Xbox app and reruns from computer as you need Viaplay Gamecenter for it.

tehdee

Feb 4, 2008
great to hear there's a solution--- having just relocated to sweden i went to sign up for gamecenter only to find out it wasnt available in Scandinavia...

however, via play @ 249/kr a month is about double what game center would cost, no?

Last edited:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
In Finland Viaplay costs 16.95 EUR/month (about 141 kr) and you get NHL, movies and tv series. Do you get other sports there than NHL for the deal?

I'll check live games mostly from Xbox app and reruns from computer as you need Viaplay Gamecenter for it.

Premier League, Champions League, SEL-2

You get som Golf and Formula 1 too if you're interested in that

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Stupid to bring that bugg out in the open, as soon as Viaplay finds out about its existence, it will be fixed and thus no more free NHL for anyone. I have used it for 1-2 years now, saving me alot of money.
Really? It just says "Unauthorized access" for me if I'm not logged onto Viaplay before going there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad