VI. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

K19*

Nice to see Faksa continuing to play well. Are many of the top line guys graduating next year? Would like to see Faksa get 2nd line minutes next year.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Nice to see Faksa continuing to play well. Are many of the top line guys graduating next year? Would like to see Faksa get 2nd line minutes next year.

Faksa won't get second line next year since Morin and Dowling are the top 2 centers.

Coach Willie is pretty good at distributing the workload through 3 lines so Faksa will get experience as the 3rd center no doubt.

If Coach Willie is around..........I hope.......please......

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Woo last regular season game . Time to see what kids play tonight.

But I swear if my buddy makes me miss warmups I'm going to be disappointed.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Trook is play with Dowling and Guptill!!!

In bad news, I didn't realize both Hulak and Klingberg were actually injured. I thought they were just banged up and getting rest. According to Sean Shapiro, they're not among the guys not playing just for rest. They're actually injured. Hulak seems to be the top option to replace Sceviour on the top line. Willie used him there quite a bit.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I haven't heard what happened to Hulak. Klingberg to a guy to the knee in that San Antonio series.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Finally in. Packed house tonight. Place is buzzing. Game may take a bit to start. Lots of hardware to handout.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Well this is one of the side starts I've seen in awhile. 3-0 Abbotsford.

Jack has looked shakey and like he is fighting his pads. Defense and backchecking has been bad and so many missed chances offensively.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
This more like it. Vause redirects a point shot from Jokipakka.

Stransky pops one out of mid air to get the second goal. Guptill had a nice drive to the net for the rebound to happen but couldn't keep on his skates under pressure.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
McKenzie scores off a rebound from a great save by Ortho. Also got Ortios or someone's stick to his face.

Tied game.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Lots of good chances at the end but Stars come up short. Will have a bit on Troock and others once I'm home.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Alrighty post game impressions time.

Let's start with the "old" gaurd

Campbell
He had a really rough start. 3 goals in the first period, a couple he probably should have had and one he had no chance on but almost had it. He looked shakey and almost fighting his pads and the puck. He seemed to collect himself in the second and third periods making some great saves. This loss wasn't entirely on him.

Oleksiak
He had an....interesting game. Defensively he wasn't too bad but offensively he tried to do too much especially when he was leading the rush which he would then most likely turn over the puck. Other than that a fairly uninteresting game from him

Jokipakka
Seems to be catching his second wind of the season. He's starting to look like the Jokipakka we were raving about at the beginning of the season. He's not fully up to form but I could definitely see his old self returning.

Rest of the Defense
Ouch...just....ouch. It's strange to say this but I think getting Klingberg and Meech back will help. Not much offense generated by the back end to sustain possession in the zone.

McKenzie
Man....McKenzie must really not like Abbotsford because he was throwing around his body like it was a weapon. Unfortunately he let it take over like he was a 4th liner by going for the hit than the puck but mostly in the offensive zone. Overall a decent game from him

Rest of the "old" offense
Eeeehhhh...nothing special. Morin and Dowling trying to carry the team but just couldn't do it. Stransky had moments of great plays but his backchecking led to goals against I believe.

All right the new guys!

Troock
Ok, so Troock had a uninspired start. A few positional gaffes and out muscled and out paced. But the second half he started getting used to the level of the game. Had some nice plays and showed pretty good strength on his skates down low. I can see him getting a little time in the playoffs.

Guptill
Man.....watching Guptill was brutal. He was horrible and great and fluctuated between those extremes sometimes in the same shift. He has great hands and good hockey awareness and a wicked shot but slow release. The brutal parts seems to stem mostly from his skates and conditioning. He didn't have much quickness and was easily pushed off his skates and the puck. I can see the potential he has and it looks good but I think he's definitely an offseason project and I don't see him getting much playoff time unless injuries occur.

Faksa
Oh man....forget about his last couple of junior seasons. He looks like be belongs on this team already. There's no way he sits during the playoffs. His two-way play is great but to me the surprise has been his speed and some of the offensive plays he's generated. There were a few times he double shifted between Henderson/Stransky and Troock/Guptill and looked good with both. He was also in on the penalty kills. I think Coach Willie has shown an incredible amount of trust in Faksa and will be a mainstay int he post season.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Don't say it often Blue but these updates of yours have been great. Thanks.

Couple of questions. With the caveat that there's always something to learn are the Stars better off with McKenzie on the 4th line in Dallas taking Whitney's spot next year or him staying in Austin for just a little while longer to see if he can sustain this success?

How far has Stransky's game evolved this season? I know he has fantastic hands, body control and the skating has improved but there are still questions on his defense? Assuming Willie is here next year does he get a shot to play top six minutes and what's your take on his future with the Stars?

Obviously you haven't seen much of Klingberg but lots of Oleksiak. Gut call, which one makes the roster next season?

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

McKenzie is a tough one. I can see either path for him. He's shown some improvement on his skill based play that I can see them maybe giving him a season or half a season to get a little more Top 6 experience to see if it develops more. I can also see him going up to Dallas as a Bottom 6 guy because he has the physical play to sustain play there and good in front of the net presence.

Stransky I think is actually probably one of the most improved players on the team. His skating has improved by leaps and bounds, especially lately. He's not going to be a burner but he's getting much better control of his skates in terms of turning and especially stopping. He's also gotten much stronger on his skates and is very difficult to move off the puck. His defensive play is.....inconsistent at best. He's not a total liability but there can be lapses. I think he has a very good chance of getting Top 6 minutes in Texas. He's probably still a couple of years away from the NHL. Potential-wise? I would say borderline second/third line RW scorer/playmaker.

As for Klingberg/Oleksiak. I'm in BigG's corner and not Cin's. Klingberg over Oleksiak right now. Klingberg has a few things on Oleksiak: RHD, more offensively minded, and more experience and confidence in men's league. Klingberg isn't exactly a small guy either, he and Jokipakka looked like giant twins in the game I watched him in. Oleksiak needs to show the consistency that I haven't seen this last season.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I see that Faksa was a -3 in this game. Any thoughts on that?

Stransky, Henderson more than Faksa. Faksa may have screwed up in backchecking in one instance but I don't know if it was Faksa or Stransky (other side of the ice and it was quick and 28/29 look similar hehe).

Also, Faksa was double shifted quite a bit in the later part of the game and was on the penalty kills. Defensively he's been stout. But when you're the only one back checking or playing defense...well..yeah.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Stransky, Henderson more than Faksa. Faksa may have screwed up in backchecking in one instance but I don't know if it was Faksa or Stransky (other side of the ice and it was quick and 28/29 look similar hehe).

Also, Faksa was double shifted quite a bit in the later part of the game and was on the penalty kills. Defensively he's been stout. But when you're the only one back checking or playing defense...well..yeah.

Cool, thanks. As always, thanks for the farm reports.:yo:

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Thanks for the updates throughout the Texas season Blues.

Do you figure Klingberg will be ready for the start of the playoffs or does it sound like it could be a more extended layoff for him?

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for the updates throughout the Texas season Blues.

Do you figure Klingberg will be ready for the start of the playoffs or does it sound like it could be a more extended layoff for him?

Thanks guys. Doing this stuff is fun to me. **** I get excited by the NFL combine lol.

I haven't heard definitive news on Klingberg. It sounded like it was pretty bad. Gut feeling is he'll miss at least the first playoff series. Hopefully more info will come out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad