VI. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Welp hopefully tonight sees two returns. The return of the Wild (formerly Aeros) back to CPC and more importantly Campbell.

I have a feeling they'll play Nihlstorp tonight though since it's a back-to-back.

Other fun note: UTexas plays after. I may stay to watch a period to see if they've gotten better.

MetalGodAOD*

100 Degree Hockey ‏@100degreehockey 3m

#txstars have signed D William Wrenn to a standard player contract today. Wrenn was on PTO. He has 1g,1a and minus-5 in 15 GP this season.

Since Oleksiak is gonna be up a while, Texas signs a D-man.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Since Oleksiak is gonna be up a while, Texas signs a D-man.

I think his PTO was just getting close to expiring and it's a coincidence Oleksiak is up.

Wrenn has looked good IMO ... looked great last season. He's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing get an ELC from Dallas.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah Wrenn hasn't been bad. He's pretty offensive minded and Oleksiak definitely covered him on the back end. He definitely earned his contract though.

It'll be interesting to see how they do the pairings. Last game it was

Labrie-Fortunus
Button-Nemeth
Gaunce-Jokipakka.

They'd probably rotate Wrenn, Labrie, and Button somehow.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Wrenn's injured BTW:

Sean Shapiro ‏@seanshapiro

William Wrenn wearing a red no-contact jersey in practice today. 6 d-men tonight likely will be 24, 3, 22, 12, 18 & 14 for #txstars

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Anyone wanna give me a run-down on what these games are like?

Growing up in NE Pennsylvania, we used to go to maybe 3-4 Hershey Bears games a year (and then take in maybe 1-2 Flyers games down in Philly). Always enjoyed the AHL games as a kid, but I've only been to like one in the past 10 years.

I'm up around Georgetown, so Cedar Park is considerably closer that driving up to Dallas. I'm going to attempt that trip tomorrow for the one and only time this year (since the Flyers are in town), but my father is coming in later in the month, so I wanted to look into an AHL game--for old times sake, if nothing else.

Primetimey*

Anyone wanna give me a run-down on what these games are like?

Growing up in NE Pennsylvania, we used to go to maybe 3-4 Hershey Bears games a year (and then take in maybe 1-2 Flyers games down in Philly). Always enjoyed the AHL games as a kid, but I've only been to like one in the past 10 years.

I'm up around Georgetown, so Cedar Park is considerably closer that driving up to Dallas. I'm going to attempt that trip tomorrow for the one and only time this year (since the Flyers are in town), but my father is coming in later in the month, so I wanted to look into an AHL game--for old times sake, if nothing else.

The hockey isn't at the same level, but it is still exciting to watch. Smaller crowds, lower key production, and more of a family atmosphere at AHL games from the ones I have been to.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
They put on a pretty good game at CPC. Not quite as awesome as going to the AAC, but they do pretty well for such a small arena.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Yep. D pairs were as expected. No major changes overall. Stransky is in, as is Ranford.

Morin isn't back yet so Dowling centering Sceviour and McKenzie. He looked last game doing so.

Looks like Keumper is in net for the wild and Zucker is back. At least there's no Granlund.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
No Campbell has really made watching these games more difficult ... I've been waiting for weeks to get him back.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Well that was a bad start. Turnover leads to a two on one. Joki played it correctly but the wild player just blasts it past Campbell.

1-0 Wild.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
May not be a large crowd but 3 sections of elementary school kids make a LOT of noise.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
This is power play is much different than last year. Ritchie scores off a nice centering pass and it just barely squeeks through.

End of the first and all tied up.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Interesting they changed the goal to Joki. Maybe got a piece of it when it bouncing behind Keumper.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Ranford gets one through traffic putting Texas up 2-1. Keumper is playing good and had one beautiful diving save in an earlier power play. He even got a piece of this goal just not enough.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Wild tie it back up at the end of a power play. Nice shot to the far side just above Campbell's pad. He was partially screened on that.

Texas has been just hitting Iowa left and right. Peters destroyed and aggressively defends himself and charges in to fight another wild player.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Texas is rattling Iowa's cage. Joki scores from the point during a 5 on 3. Then Iowa takes another bad penalty and its 5 on 3 but they're able to kill it off and now just 5 on 4 to end the period.

3-2 Texas with 30 secs of pp to start the third.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
And that's game. Mueller gets an empty netter as the wild pulls Keumper. Technically a short hander as Iowa was on a power play.

Also good to have Jack back. Made some great plays and while he started off shaky but cleaned it up after the first.

Joki, Gaunce and Nemeth all looked great tonight.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
And here we are. Second game with Iowa. Wonder if this will be chippy considering last night's hard hitting game.

Nihlstorp and Keumper in goal.

Morin is back in his usual place. Dowling back with Hedden and Ranford and looks like Stransky is the oddman out as Petersen is with Wathier and Peters.

Let's see if Morin can get the scoring lead back before he's mostly likely called back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad