Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Zach Whitecloud signs extension with the Golden Knights (6 years, $2.75M AAV)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If he continues to progress its great for the Knights, if not theres definitely some possible downside, because he has not proven much.

$2.75m is the price for an average #4/5D.

Whitecloud is already at least that. He'd have to regress to a #6 or #7 for there to be any unfortunate outcome for the Knights. They made a good bet here in my opinion.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Bump this thread in 2 years when he gets rewarded for signing a team-friendly deal by being dealt.

That's Whiteclouds risk by doing this deal. He could very easily be dealt at some point of this contract.

Team friendly deals dont guarantee anything

Reactions: kanucks25

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I've always been really impressed with Whitecloud, seems like Schmidt in a sense of his two way play and compete level. He has a lot of potential and I could see him becoming a top pairing guy one day. I see this as a brilliant forward thinking signing with zero risk. Congrats Vegas fans!

Reactions: NotPetya

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Lol @ the people calling this a gamble. Whitecloud is a great defensive presence on the VGK blueline and has the potential to be one of the better shutdown defensemen in the league if he keeps progressing right.

As is he's already one of Vegas' most defensively reliable blueliners.

There's no gamble here. If he plateaus at this level across his career, then this is simply solid value. Every bit he gets better, this deal goes up in positive value.

I'm thrilled personally.
I think the only gamble is if he just suddenly totally falls off and odds of that are pretty darn low.

Even in that case, it's only 2.75m a year, easily offloadable amount.

So more like a safe investment instead of a gamble.

Reactions: NotPetya

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Whitecloud really impressed me in the bubble, and after last year it seems like he should be at least a good 4/5 going forward and possibly more. Deal eats up all his prime years at a reasonable rate. Hard not to like it.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
At that price tag he's not someone you want on a bottom pair, you'll need him to be a top 4 quality

Its a gamble. A good one. But you have to be biased if you think there is 0 risk to this deal

Top 4 defensemen and defensemen in general are getting paid a lot more now.

The cap has changed it Is not 2010 anymore.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I hate that this is a steal of a deal for Vegas.

I can understand why he gave Vegas a team-friendly deal though. There is a good chance Whitecloud would've been buried on many other teams and wouldn't have ever gotten a chance, or it would've been a lot later in his career.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
That's a great deal for a d-man who can actually play defense (unlike some others that people constantly gawk over in this league).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
These long term deals for low end and mid range guys are interesting….it tells me teams might have the hunch the cap is going to start going back up quickly and want to lock in guys now at “covid pricing”. Just an outsiders speculation

The official party line from the NHLPA is the cap will start going up in 3 seasons. But all the numbers and projections I've been able to get from reliable sources crunch out to being 5-7 years before the cap rises.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The official party line from the NHLPA is the cap will start going up in 3 seasons. But all the numbers and projections I've been able to get from reliable sources crunch out to being 5-7 years before the cap rises.

Is this report outdated then? Or is there just mixed information out there:

SERAVALLI: NHL salary cap projected to rise to $82.5 million in 2022-23 - Daily Faceoff

It does reference the 5-7 year timeframe to completely payoff the debt, but includes an artificial rise that doesn't correlate with the revenue projections.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
You guys think this could possibly be a move with more to come to try and get their cap organized and figured out then make a trade for Eichel?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm having a Mandella effect moment. I could have sworn the Knights signed Whitecloud to this deal in the off season. Was it just a rumor? Am I in a different dimension?

Same thing happened last year for me with Mikael Granlund and Columbus. I was sure he had signed there. Turned out it had just been a strong rumor.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is this report outdated then? Or is there just mixed information out there:

SERAVALLI: NHL salary cap projected to rise to $82.5 million in 2022-23 - Daily Faceoff

It does reference the 5-7 year timeframe to completely payoff the debt, but includes an artificial rise that doesn't correlate with the revenue projections.

It’s hard to tell because they don’t provide all their numbers and assumptions they’re using to to arrive at those results. I do agree with their projected NHL revenue numbers—those are the NHL’s own internal projections. And the estimate of $1.1B in escrow balance to start this season is also a internal number I’ve seen reliably reported.

After that I don’t know if they’re properly accounting for things like deferred salary and non-salary benefits in their projections.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I would not sign a deal like this with Vegas unless they gave me a full NTC/NMC. That org has no loyalty, the players shouldn't either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad