Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Zach Whitecloud signs extension with the Golden Knights (6 years, $2.75M AAV)

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Thats great term but I'm pretty stunned Whitecloud was able to get a 16 million dollar deal.
If he continues to progress its great for the Knights, if not theres definitely some possible downside, because he has not proven much.

Reactions: NotPetya

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
To respond to the cynics above, I'm going to guess that Whitecloud won't be dealt. Young and cost-controlled RHDs are worth their weight in gold to teams. Locking up a decently-good one to a rate that Tucker Poolman got in UFA is a pretty solid get. Possible blueprint for Ethan Bear, perhaps, albeit his will likely be a little bit more expensive because he has slightly more offense to his game.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Thats great term but I'm pretty stunned Whitecloud was able to get a 16 million dollar deal.
If he continues to progress its great for the Knights, if not theres definitely some possible downside, because he has not proven much.

Spoken like someone who doesn't watch Whitecloud play. He's already well worth that 2.7 number. He's a better player than Mcnabb. The only reason he's not a top 4 D right now is because Petro and Theo are ahead of him. He'd be a legit top 4 defensive D on most teams in the league.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Spoken like someone who doesn't watch Whitecloud play. He's already well worth that 2.7 number. He's a better player than Mcnabb. The only reason he's not a top 4 D right now is because Petro and Theo are ahead of him. He'd be a legit top 4 defensive D on most teams in the league.
At that price tag he's not someone you want on a bottom pair, you'll need him to be a top 4 quality

Its a gamble. A good one. But you have to be biased if you think there is 0 risk to this deal

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
To respond to the cynics above, I'm going to guess that Whitecloud won't be dealt. Young and cost-controlled RHDs are worth their weight in gold to teams. Locking up a decently-good one to a rate that Tucker Poolman got in UFA is a pretty solid get. Possible blueprint for Ethan Bear, perhaps, albeit his will likely be a little bit more expensive because he has slightly more offense to his game.

The price per ounce of gold is $1801.6 USD.
NHL.com has him listed at 208 pounds. That converts to 3328 ounces.
3328x1801.6=$5,995,724.8
Apparently the Knights believe hes worth slightly less than half his weight in gold every year for the next 6 years.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Cap-wise it seems mostly replacement for McNabb (whose contract ends and is UFA) next year onwards.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
At that price tag he's not someone you want on a bottom pair, you'll need him to be a top 4 quality

Its a gamble. A good one. But you have to be biased if you think there is 0 risk to this deal

He is top 4 quality. Like I said the only reason he isn't literally in the top 4 is he plays the same side as Petro and Theo. The only risk to this deal is if he regresses or is injured for the majority of the contract. His current play is worth 2.75 per as is.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
He is top 4 quality. Like I said the only reason he isn't literally in the top 4 is he plays the same side as Petro and Theo. The only risk to this deal is if he regresses or is injured for the majority of the contract. His current play is worth 2.75 per as is.

I'm also guessing that Theo will move to his natural side next season after McNabb gets paid well elsewhere. Whitecloud likely makes the top-4 next season.

Martinez-Pietrangelo
Theodore-Whitecloud
Hague-Coghlan

(or something like that)

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
3328x1801.6=$5,995,724.8
Apparently the Knights believe hes worth slightly less than half his weight in gold every year for the next 6 years.
They're anticipating a crash

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I'm also guessing that Theo will move to his natural side next season after McNabb gets paid well elsewhere. Whitecloud likely makes the top-4 next season.

Martinez-Pietrangelo
Theodore-Whitecloud
Hague-Coghlan

(or something like that)

Yeah I think they already would have loaded up the top 4 with Whitecloud if they had a vet RD that could play 3rd pair with Hague. Hague-Coghlan would be too much of a mess defensively. Once Mcnabb is gone I think that top 4 you posted is a near certainty.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Yeah I think they already would have loaded up the top 4 with Whitecloud if they had a vet RD that could play 3rd pair with Hague. Hague-Coghlan would be too much of a mess defensively. Once Mcnabb is gone I think that top 4 you posted is a near certainty.

I mean, there's a reason why coaches generally shelter young defensemen with veterans (on one condition: IF you're a contending team!). I was simply just talking about how the depth chart would move after McNabb gets his big payday.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Vegas doesn't give a damn as it their players.... Don't take team friendly deals.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
3328x1801.6=$5,995,724.8

Underrated comment

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The timing of this extension is curious, given that they would probably need to re-sign Whitecloud to less than 3m to fit a certain 10m player in next season...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol @ the people calling this a gamble. Whitecloud is a great defensive presence on the VGK blueline and has the potential to be one of the better shutdown defensemen in the league if he keeps progressing right.

As is he's already one of Vegas' most defensively reliable blueliners.

There's no gamble here. If he plateaus at this level across his career, then this is simply solid value. Every bit he gets better, this deal goes up in positive value.

I'm thrilled personally.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad