Confirmed Trade: [VGK/MTL] Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd round pick, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar Part II

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I thought Tatar was such a sneaky good addition in this deal, especially considering Vegas is already retaining on him. His down play was over such a small sample size that it wasn't at all a stretch to think he would bounce back, and now the Habs have a pretty good (and seemingly motivated) hockey player on a solid cap hit.

Whether they keep him or eventually turn him into other assets, he was a great buy low player.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Vegas is gonna cash out here soon. Willy has another 35 in him as a base.

Karlsson? He's not going to score 35 this year. He's a good player, he is not the goal scorer he looked like last year. I would actually be pretty shocked if he topped 25.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Don't care what Pac is doing in Vegas but so far Montreal is very happy with the trade and that's just with Tatar we still have an excellent prospect for the future and a 2nd round pick tu use.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Season’s still young, but I’m quite happy to have Tatar. I knew it was an under the radar addition to the team. 20 games in Vegas doesn’t change a thing. He’s playing a tad above his head but even when he will (yes, he will) slow down, he’ll still be useful to the team.

I never considered him as a cap dump. I can proudly say I was right when the trade was announced :

Hardworker33Registered User
I think Tatar is here to stay (at least 2 years with a possible TDL deal on his last year). Quite frankly, I'm very happy to have him & expect he bounces back to 20-20, maybe 25-20 with the ice time he'll be getting here.​

Reactions: HabsQC

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Pacioretty is always slow to start, he'll come around and score over 30 by the end of the season.

That being said, I'll take the 20-25 goals of Tatar over Pacioretty's no effort. Tatar has been awesome and it doesn't matter if he gets streaky because at least he's involved in the game unlike Max.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Pacioretty is always slow to start, he'll come around and score over 30 by the end of the season.

That being said, I'll take the 20-25 goals of Tatar over Pacioretty's no effort. Tatar has been awesome and it doesn't matter if he gets streaky because at least he's involved in the game unlike Max.

Not just that but Max, though he’s good for 30, is a blackhole on the PP. Plays die on his stick. Tatar can actually stickhandle and make passes.

Reactions: HabsQC

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I love Tatar but he is streaky as all hell. Montreal will see the bad side soon enough. I do think he’s a legit top 6 forward still though.
We traded him for a streaky player too.

Pleasantly surprised with Tatar, i thought he'd be s cap dump we'd have to deal with not an effective player. I don't expect this level of play for 82 games but it is nice to see what he is capable of.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Season’s still young, but I’m quite happy to have Tatar. I knew it was an under the radar addition to the team. 20 games in Vegas doesn’t change a thing. He’s playing a tad above his head but even when he will (yes, he will) slow down, he’ll still be useful to the team.

I never considered him as a cap dump. I can proudly say I was right when the trade was announced :

Hardworker33Registered User
I think Tatar is here to stay (at least 2 years with a possible TDL deal on his last year). Quite frankly, I'm very happy to have him & expect he bounces back to 20-20, maybe 25-20 with the ice time he'll be getting here.​
looking like a good call so far.

Reactions: Hardworker33

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Didn't expect it but i'm liking Tatar so far. The guy play like he has something to prove

Will it continue ? It remains to be seen but so far so good

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Bro, have you ever seen Pacioretty play? Guy is the the epitome of a streaky player.

You can probably count the amount of "non-streaky" goal scorers in this league on one hand. I don't see how that's relevant, at the end of the day.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Tatar looks like a decent 25g/50pt guy. If he can do that rest of his term, itd be a success,

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Patch has been caught by his own shot, he completly gave up every other aspects of the game and has become a human shot, he goes on the ice to be in scoring position then go back to the bench. That's litteraly all he does now, a couple of years ago he was voted 6th in Selke, he used to be a complete player.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Patch has been caught by his own shot, he completly gave up every other aspects of the game and has become a human shot, he goes on the ice to be in scoring position then go back to the bench. That's litteraly all he does now, a couple of years ago he was voted 6th in Selke, he used to be a complete player.
i agree, tho kessel has excelled at this for his entire career

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
He was never the same after the Chara hit.

Reactions: weinsink

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He was never the same after the Chara hit.

That’s true... he got much better.

I’m not sure what happened to Pacioretty. For the past ~90 games he’s playing like he’s entitled to something. No heart, no backcheck, no more fighting for the puck, no more passion.

It’s still early in the season, but if Pacioretty doesn’t go in the dirty areas anymore, doesn’t backcheck and is lazy defensively, he will continue to struggles. You can see he hasn’t lost a step (yet), he just got super lazy and entitled

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
That hit was in his second year in the league. He broke out after that hit, if that's what you mean by "never the same".
He changed his game style. He was more physical before then. More willing to get into it along the boards. After, he played away from the boards and started leading more into just scoring.
He could have been a more all around player had he kept going the way he was prior to the hit.
That’s what I meant, but you read into it how ever you want.

I’m not sure what happened to Pacioretty. For the past ~90 games he’s playing like he’s entitled to something. No heart, no backcheck, no more fighting for the puck, no more passion.

It’s still early in the season, but if Pacioretty doesn’t go in the dirty areas anymore, doesn’t backcheck and is lazy defensively, he will continue to struggles. You can see he hasn’t lost a step (yet), he just got super lazy and entitled

I think it’s part of what I was saying about the hit and partly having Therrien and Bergevin blowing smoke up his butt and feeding his ego.

Reactions: DaNaultinus

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

I agree although i'm not sure if I feel like he's entitled more than just the simple facts that maybe he's just not as fast as he used to be and he just doesn't seem as hungry as he once was. It's almost like he just doesn't want to go to the dirty areas to score anymore. He tries shoot from the perimeter and score with he great shot/release but not sure that will work as much as it used to. Anyways, I hope for Vegas fans that he will go back to being the 30+ scorer he once was.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I think Pacioretty is over thinking things and too worried about scoring goals. He means well, no doubt, but he gets too caught up in that imo.

If you look at Tatar play, the points are coming right now because of the way he plays. He keeps things simple, works like a horse and uses his linemates really well. Obviously it's a very short sample size at the moment, but for now personally I'm very happy with the trade.

And this is definitely cliche, but if you play the right way results will come naturally. That seems to elude Patches at times.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

He never was that complete of a player... He's a good skater and he had good chemistry with Pleks which made him a suitable PKer, but didn't that Selke voting happen the year Price was playing like a demi-God? He got those votes based on his +/-, which Price was in large part responsible for.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Heh. What can I say about Pacioretty?

I've gone from one of his biggest fan to one of his biggest detractors. Ask anyone on the Habs board. I was literally going to war for that guy night in and night out when he was getting bashed. Saying he's a great goal scorer who can play good defensively and that we shouldn't just get rid of a guy like him.

Fast forward to the 2017 playoffs... I made a full 180 degrees. It was such as pathetic display and he disappointed me so much in that playoffs series against the Rangers. Radulov was literally putting the puck on the goal line for him to score and he just kept skating on the perimeter and floated in the offensive zone. He kept making the same idiotic plays with the puck on the power play.

Fast forward in the summer, Bergevin has his worst summer yet as an NHL GM. While anyone can critic his actions or lack thereof, Pacioretty had a C and had to show the way to the rest of the team. He whined and cried to the media the first occasion he got because we lost out on Radulov.

Another great display of character by "Pout"cioretty.

To me it was the end of my time as a fan of this guy. He turned into a lazy, unidimensional, emotionless cow and I couldn't be any happier to have him out of Montreal. I had trust in this guy and kept saying everyone he would end up finding his groove as a leader and show the way to the others in the playoffs. He never did. Worst yet, he was our laziest player in those playoffs while a guy like Radulov worked like a freaking machine to get things going on his line.

Good luck with him, Vegas. Montreal is likely a bottom-tier team, but I'm more of a fan the way they are now than with this sorry piece of crap.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
I think Pacioretty is very hard on himself and when he can't score it becomes a mental battle rather than just going out and playing hockey. It looks like he's floating sometimes but I think he is just gets too focused on scoring so he can feel useful. When he's on... he's ON. Like everything he shoots goes in. He'll find his touch again soon.

Tatar has been great and has great chemistry on his line thus far. But I know he's streaky and am fully expecting him to slow down at some point.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I think Pacioretty is over thinking things and too worried about scoring goals. He means well, no doubt, but he gets too caught up in that imo.

If you look at Tatar play, the points are coming right now because of the way he plays. He keeps things simple, works like a horse and uses his linemates really well. Obviously it's a very short sample size at the moment, but for now personally I'm very happy with the trade.

And this is definitely cliche, but if you play the right way results will come naturally. That seems to elude Patches at times.

He's not overthinking things. He just refuses to get his ass wet anymore. He doesn't go in the dirty area at all.

Look at Tatar. We'll get streaks where he won't score for many games. He is what he is, a very good 2nd line player who shows bouts of inconsistency. But look at all of his 7 points so far. I think all of them have been had less than 5 feet from the net. It's an area unknown to Pacioretty now. And he used to score a good portion of his goal in that perimeter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad