Confirmed Trade: [VGK/MTL] Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd round pick, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar Part II

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
0 assists 1 goal 1 point -3 in 6 games so far with Vegas playing 17:04 per game. Not a good start at all for him.
If I remember the name correctly, a poster known as HarrisonFord posted something similar 5 years ago in mid-November when Pacioretty only had 2 goals in his first 12 games.

He scored 3 the same night, and finished with 39...

Good times.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Vegas is gonna cash out here soon. Willy has another 35 in him as a base.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Plus they finessed Nick Suzuki out of Vegas.

And then look at what Ottawa got for Karlsson.

Then again, you'll hear that Ottawa fans are surprisingly happy with the guys they got. Their team isn't doing too bad right now. They even beat the best team in the history of the galaxy, the Maple Leafs.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Tatar's been good so far, but Pacioretty always started slow and now it's a new team. I'm sure he'll score 25+.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Vegas fans were hoping for a bounce back season for him before the trade. I think he was an easy player to root for. He seems like a hard working player so good for him.

It just seems so odd that with Perron and Neal leaving, that LV wouldn't give him another chance this season in a bigger role to try and help fill one of those slots. And while the cap might have been problematic next season (19/20), it shouldn't have been an issue this season.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It just seems so odd that with Perron and Neal leaving, that LV wouldn't give him another chance this season in a bigger role to try and help fill one of those slots. And while the cap might have been problematic next season (19/20), it shouldn't have been an issue this season.

Oh, I was one of the few who questioned whether the move was as good as some made it out to be. I believe Tatar may have been able to put up somewhere around 50 points in our system, at least 40 something, so I thought it might possibly end up being a 20 point upgrade (but 2M more on the cap) at the cost of a 2nd and Suzuki.

I am not saying it was a bad deal but with the situation with Pacioretty and Montreal being what it was, I thought it wasn't a slam dunk deal other fans thought it might be.

Reactions: Riptide

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Pacs will probably suck for another 5 games or so. Look good for 3-5, struggle for 6, then go off on a tear and be streaky.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Suzuki will be good for sure, but just wait until Tatar goes 10 straight games without a point. He’s so damn streaky.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Looking good for Montreal. As I said, I couldn't believe Berg actually got decent value for Patches, and this looks all the more better with Tatar's scoring spree.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Tatar is and will be given all the opportunities here in MTL. Definwtly one of our top 3 F right now and most likely for all season

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Tatar's been good so far, but Pacioretty always started slow and now it's a new team. I'm sure he'll score 25+.

But Pacioretty's decline goes well beyond the goal scoring aspect.

It sucks, because he is an awesome person but for some reason, he has lost his edge over the years and has gone from being a player that could elevate a line to a guy who needs specific help on his line and has difficulty finding chemistry. You want high profile players that aren't high-maintenance but instead facilitate the coach's job and boost the team. Pacioretty sulks. Could only find chemistry with a limited few centers. His streaky and tends to sulk when things don't go his way. Has lost a lot of his awesome two-way game because he seems to overthink all the time.

He's gone from a guy you could use in any situation and would thrive by scoring goals on top of his excellent play to a streaky goal-scorer that needs maintenance and care.

I know Pacioretty had the worse summer of his professional career and may still feel the effects of this. He could turn it around. But I think the way to do it is for him to stop playing like a one-trick pony sniper whose life depends on scoring goals and get his overall game back in shape. The great paradox is that it is by playing that way that the goals will come.

Reactions: travis scott

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think it's altogether surprising that Tatar is registering some points. Outside of that stint in Vegas that went completely sideways somehow...he's always sorta been good for 20+ Goals and 45-55pts. Not a lot else, but if you need some offensive skill...he's always had it.

On the other end of things though, i wouldn't panic about Pacioretty just yet. He's always been a really streaky scorer, who has had cold starts before and then gone on an absolute tear at some point later in the season to register near-elite goal totals in the end. Adjusting to a new team, new system, new town and ratcheting down from the media responsibilities of Captain of the Habs in one of the most crazed hockey markets in the league...shouldn't really be surprising he hasn't come out of the gates on fire either.

You don't make a trade like this for the first half dozen games of the season. Especially not when you're signing the guy to a multi-year extension immediately after acquiring them. Patches is a better player than the outgoing James Neal...but he's going to have to find his fit there. As Tatar illustrated...that's apparently not a gimme.

Reactions: Luminiferous

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Im not a pro but I play hockey since im 4 and im 30 now, always have been a goalscorer because of my wrist shot and when im in slump I stop overthink and go in front of the next and push the puck. Im not a pro but îts as simple as that and Pacio never do that to turn things around

Reactions: HabsDood

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Max had great seasons prior to last year and my two cents is that his decline in all aspects of the game is a strength, a stamina issue. He used to keep moving his feet no matter where he was on the ice. He's a lot more static nowadays, especially in the offensive zone and it might be a result of past injuries or nutrition or premature ageing... Can't believe the guy is not motivated and he should rebound but he's gotta adapt his game if his body can't do what it used to do.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It should also be noted that Pacs had a great preseason. He’ll get going again. He fits like a glove in that offense, unfortunately Stastny is injured; he’s just the type of distributor Pacs can thrive off of.

Tatar is in a good situation. On the cusp of breaking out with a team he’s going to get a lot of opportunity to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad