Confirmed Trade: [VGK/LAK] Alec Martinez for 2020 and STL 2021 2nd round picks

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not one of the credible sources or insiders believed anyone other that Kreider would fetch a 1st this year.

Blake now has acquired (3) 2nd rounders this year as well as (3) third rounders. Last year alone we got Kaliyev and Fagemo in the 2nd round.

we may also have (3) 2nd rounders in 2021 if TO qualifies for the playoffs and Campbell wins 6 or worse case (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds.

in the last 5 drafts our 2nd round picks

Kaliyev - 33
Fagemo - 50
Thomas - 51
JAD -41
Claugue - 51
Cernak - 43

3rd rounders are also of interest

Parik - 87
Shafigullin - 82
Villalta - 72
Dergachyov

taken after the 3rd

Nousiainen - 119
Dudas - 113
Hrenak - 144
Anderson - 103
Hults - 134
Wagner - 99
Roy - 194

don’t underestimate what our scouts have done with the picks they have been given.

only on HF boards do people overvalue 2nd round prospects.

hhistory says something different

hisotry says

1. its far easier getting a top 4 Dman than a top 6 forwards

getting a top 3 Dman/top 6 forward out of the 2nd round averages about 3 per draft. others make the NHL but they are usually lower level players who are replaceable.

If you get anything that is a regular starter in the top 9 or top 6 in the 3rd round or latter be happy. you get anything thats a top 4 or top 6 player be thrilled you won a lottery

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
I know the 3 player cap. I would be shocked if Lewis required retention, and I doubt Carter happens. We will see though. If retaining on Martniez could would have increased the return I would have done it. I am guessing all this was debated by Blake and Vegas,

It's hard to tell with some of these potential Stanley Cup contenders that are tight to the salary cap will ask for while they're doing last minute shopping for experienced depth players. I mean, Kyle Clifford was only at a $1.6 million cap hit and Toronto asked for 50% retention so Trevor Lewis at $2 million needing it wouldn't be that surprising, you know?

Carter and Lewis are just random names out of a hat used for examples where some people put their value at something like a 4th or 5th round pick in discussions on the Board. And if retention can bump the discussions into 3rd or 4th round territory then I value an entire draft round improvement with those two as being more valuable to the team than the difference in 2nd round slots from the New Jersey to St. Louis picks.

I say that because a lot of the maneuvering to grab targeted players in the 2nd round that the Kings have pulled off in the past seem to require ammo in the 3rd and 4th rounds to entice other teams to play along. I could be wrong, but musical chair shenanigans in the 2nd round might be easier to pull off than busting back into the 1st round with how stingy some teams are being this year.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002

hisotry says

getting a top 3 Dman/top 6 forward out of the 2nd round averages about 3 per draft. others make the NHL but they are usually lower level players who are replaceable.

If you get anything that is a regular starter in the top 9 or top 6 in the 3rd round or latter be happy. you get anything thats a top 4 or top 6 player be thrilled you won a lottery

you may be right but I will happily take 3 second round picks and Madden for 20 games of a middle 6 winger that may be back in July and an aging expensive #4 to 5 Dman having a bad year with another year tacked on. Love Marty but he isn’t what he used to be.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
you may be right but I will happily take 3 second round picks and Madden for 20 games of a middle 6 winger that may be back in July and an aging expensive #4 to 5 Dman having a bad year with another year tacked on. Love Marty but he isn’t what he used to be.
I actually agree with you as long as you don’t have to watch the team on TV or god forbid pay money to see them in person! Can’t wait to see the season ticket renewal numbers this year.

Reactions: funky

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I actually agree with you as long as you don’t have to watch the team on TV or god forbid pay money to see them in person! Can’t wait to see the season ticket renewal numbers this year.

Maybe they'll offer a discount to people renewing instead of just a price freeze.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Expansion team in its third season. "We don't need no stinking draft picks. More over the hill veterans will solve all our problems"

yeah who needs wins and playoffs, especially as a new fanchise in an untraditional market. Let's follow the Atlanta, Columbus, and Minnesota model instead! Maybe if we build the "right way" we can get back to the playoffs 12 years from now!

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
I don't agree. He didn't know how to use Kovalchuk. He didn't utilize Grundstrom's momentum from last season (5 goals in 15 NHL games) and set him back. He didn't utilize Frk (who has 5 points in 7 games) earlier in the season. On the other hand, he has leaned heavily on Kempe, giving him big minutes and responsibility, and the results have been underwhelming (only 25 points and, obviously, where they are in the standings). It's true that McLellan hasn't had a lot to work with, but he hasn't gotten as much out of what he's had than he might've, IMO.

Do you put in place a style of play that you know works then pigeon hole players into roles and punt the players who can't find success in it?

Do you look at the personnel and put together a new system to get the maximum performance out of the players that you have available?

It's an interesting topic to chew on as I can't think of many coaches in any of the different sports that would sacrifice whatever is their bread and butter style associated with them and scrap it entirely to be practical. They probably should think about it more often though if on-ice performance and results are ultimately going to determine whether they continue to have a job or not.

Like, I'm listening to some of the Montreal radio shows and I heard them talk about how they made an adjustment to allow Kovalchuk to wind up and gather speed in his own zone so he has momentum built up to help him with offensive zone entries. I wonder if there's more to it than that because that doesn't feel like an unbridgeable gap in expectation between player and coach that could have helped in Los Angeles.

Reactions: Osprey

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Do you put in place a style of play that you know works then pigeon hole players into roles and punt the players who can't find success in it?

Do you look at the personnel and put together a new system to get the maximum performance out of the players that you have available?

It's an interesting topic to chew on as I can't think of many coaches in any of the different sports that would sacrifice whatever is their bread and butter style associated with them and scrap it entirely to be practical. They probably should think about it more often though if on-ice performance and results are ultimately going to determine whether they continue to have a job or not.

Like, I'm listening to some of the Montreal radio shows and I heard them talk about how they made an adjustment to allow Kovalchuk to wind up and gather speed in his own zone so he has momentum built up to help him with offensive zone entries. I wonder if there's more to it than that because that doesn't feel like an unbridgeable gap in expectation between player and coach that could have helped in Los Angeles.

Scotty Bowman was the master of adapting, and not pigeon holing players

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

hisotry says

Fun fact. Alec Martinez was a 4th round pick

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Seriously, would you honestly pay ANYTHING to watch the remaining dregs on this team play hockey? The cost of parking alone would be an over payment
No I wouldn't, but I haven't had to buy a ticket in years.
That said, next season could be fun to watch, they still won't be very good, but we'll see a lot more young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->