Confirmed Trade: [VGK/FLA] Reilly Smith + expose Marchessault for 2018 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Weird, but FLO has been doing weird **** for a while now...

My guess is they freed up that 5M to try sign somebody. Florida is lucky they have good taxes and nice weather because it seems to give them a competitive advantage with UFAs

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My guess is they freed up that 5M to try sign somebody. Florida is lucky they have good taxes and nice weather because it seems to give them a competitive advantage with UFAs

So the Panthers give up a 30-goal scorer who's earning only $775,000 a year as well with Reilly Smith who had at least one 25-goal season under his his belt....are we sure that Dale Tallon is actually back in charge?

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
So the Panthers give up a 30-goal scorer who's earning only $775,000 a year as well with Reilly Smith who had at least one 25-goal season under his his belt....are we sure that Dale Tallon is actually back in charge?

yep. this deal was definitely NOT done by the computer boys as they were the ones who brought them in. dale tallon is actually a pretty bad gm

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Panthers going after Eberle? :dunno:

Eberle for Demers?

Edm could use another RHD, and Panthers it seems could use another winger. EDM could easily keep 25-33% of Ebs' salary, which would make him up to 500k cheaper than Demers. Not a huge savings, but every bit can help. Probably not likely, but just throwing it out there for the heck of it.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This was one of the "wtf just happened" trades for me. Smith is definitely not a bad player, if they wanted to get rid of him this bad im sure someone out there could've at least given some value back.

Now they just hand him to Vegas while they lose Marchessault at the same time.

Something has to be cookin in Tallon's office for the off-season.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
yep. this deal was definitely NOT done by the computer boys as they were the ones who brought them in. dale tallon is actually a pretty bad gm

I've been saying for years that Tallon is bad and after the Panthers made the playoffs a few years ago people were all over me for saying it. He's just not a good GM.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

Dale traded for Reilly.

I've been saying for years that Tallon is bad and after the Panthers made the playoffs a few years ago people were all over me for saying it. He's just not a good GM.

He turned the Panthers around and brought them to the playoffs twice. Had interference from previous ownership as they were selling the team and was handcuffed. Played a huge role in turning around the Hawks, as well. He's drafted well, but everyone has their faults.

He's a great GM. Dunno wtf last year was about, but whatever. Imo, he cleared cap space. And I just don't think he liked Reilly. Lots of time to allow things to shake out.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Dale traded for Reilly.

He turned the Panthers around and brought them to the playoffs twice. Had interference from previous ownership as they were selling the team and was handcuffed. Played a huge role in turning around the Hawks, as well. He's drafted well, but everyone has their faults.

He's a great GM. Dunno wtf last year was about, but whatever. Imo, he cleared cap space. And I just don't think he liked Reilly. Lots of time to allow things to shake out.

What i don't understand is, why give up Smith for a 4th round pick when you don't need to? The guy scored 20 goals twice in the past 4 years, as well as 50 points twice. 26 years old. 5M might make him overpaid, but it's not THAT bad. You'd think you could just flip him to Carolina, New Jersey, Colorado or something for a better pick.

I just have a tough time seeing how this makes sense. Unless McPhee promised to give him one of his 14 defenseman for cheap afterwards.

Im fully expecting Florida to acquire one player from Vegas today, otherwise this is just going to stay a head scratcher to me.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
What i don't understand is, why give up Smith for a 4th round pick when you don't need to? The guy scored 20 goals twice in the past 4 years, as well as 50 points twice. 26 years old. 5M might make him overpaid, but it's not THAT bad. You'd think you could just flip him to Carolina, New Jersey, Colorado or something for a better pick.

I just have a tough time seeing how this makes sense. Unless McPhee promised to give him one of his 14 defenseman for cheap afterwards.

Im fully expecting Florida to acquire one player from Vegas today, otherwise this is just going to stay a head scratcher to me.

Hoping it's for acquiring other "quality" players with the additional cap space. Either by trades or FA.

However, sadly, my expectations are low when it comes to the Panthers.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Hoping it's for acquiring other "quality" players with the additional cap space. Either by trades or FA.

However, sadly, my expectations are low when it comes to the Panthers.
Even so, why wouldnt the Panthers have just offered up something just to take Smith instead of losing both Smith & Marchessault. I would've done something like offered a future 1st like in 2019 for Vegas to take Smith if the move was to shed salary. Marchessault, even if he doesnt reproduce the season he had, likely could be traded at the deadline for at least a 2nd I believe as a UFA on that cheap of a contract that any of the contending teams could easily acquire. But if he did reproduce those numbers (or at least closer), probably could've gotten a conditional 1st for him at the TDL (see Eaves for example).

I can totally understand getting rid of Smith...he's inconsistent offensively, while being good defensively, but at 5M that just doesnt make enough sense. Especially factoring in the term of that contract. Was it Tallon that signed him to that deal or was that after Tallon was "promoted"?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Dale traded for Reilly.

He wasn't GM last year so couldn't blame him for whatever they were doing haha. Reilly is overpaid so not a bad move getting off the hook from that contract. I'll refrain from saying it's a good move because he's the one that signed Reilly to that deal in the first place.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Even so, why wouldnt the Panthers have just offered up something just to take Smith instead of losing both Smith & Marchessault. I would've done something like offered a future 1st like in 2019 for Vegas to take Smith if the move was to shed salary. Marchessault, even if he doesnt reproduce the season he had, likely could be traded at the deadline for at least a 2nd I believe as a UFA on that cheap of a contract that any of the contending teams could easily acquire. But if he did reproduce those numbers (or at least closer), probably could've gotten a conditional 1st for him at the TDL (see Eaves for example).

I can totally understand getting rid of Smith...he's inconsistent offensively, while being good defensively, but at 5M that just doesnt make enough sense. Especially factoring in the term of that contract. Was it Tallon that signed him to that deal or was that after Tallon was "promoted"?

I think a lot are wondering about the first part or why we didn't go 7-3-1, or why we protected Bjugstad.

The new management(Joyce/Werier/Rowe) re-signed Smith last year. Which was odd since he still had a year left on his original deal and it wasn't like we signed him to a discount. While Tallon was no master of re-signing guys/FA, the new guys weren't much better sadly.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't get the posters who say it's so easy to find proven top6W's for less than 5M(in July1).

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't get the posters who say it's so easy to find proven top6W's for less than 5M(in July1).

Because people are idiots.

Gallant loves him. Had a great year under him. They are missing the point that Vegas is taking 25 million on, meaning they think he's worth it and want him top six. Marchessault is not that good where they would take on that money or term if they thought he sucked.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
I think a lot are wondering about the first part or why we didn't go 7-3-1, or why we protected Bjugstad.

The new management(Joyce/Werier/Rowe) re-signed Smith last year. Which was odd since he still had a year left on his original deal and it wasn't like we signed him to a discount. While Tallon was no master of re-signing guys/FA, the new guys weren't much better sadly.
I can slightly understand why not to go 7-3-1 over the 4-4-1 approach. It was more likely then that FL would've lost a young defender like Petrovic or Psysk which have more cost control at this moment. Protecting Bjugstad could make sense too if he's eventually traded when his value isnt at the lowest point as it is now. His play in the WC suggest he could rebound quite well so it could make sense if thats how Tallon views it (and Bjugstad is cheaper than Smith too right now, 16M less to pay him versus 25M to pay Smith). And protecting Marchessault (who's a UFA-to-be) over Bjugstad also doesnt seem that smart if you ask me with the assumption FL wont be resigning him. Best course of action was to pay a hefty price in picks/prospects to get Vegas to take Smith but that ship has sailed.

That makes sense too and why I asked if it was Tallon or not. He has been known to go crazy in spending and not always the best at that. But definitely looks worse now when there was still time to re-sign him and likely could've been at 1M less IMO.
Are you suggesting though that Smith is a top 6 winger on a contending team? He's shown to be very inconsistent in his career...one good season followed by one bad season. I think he would be fine as a 3rd line W who could move up a line on a contending team but not as a bonafide top 6 guy.

Also there's other rumored trade targets out there to "find" prior to July 1st, even if they are making slightly more than 5M. Duchene (6M), Galchenyuk (likely in the 5-6M range), Eberle (6M), E.Kane (5.25M), and possibly James Neal (5M) if Vegas flips him. Any of those guys are worth more than Smith by a mile, even if their cap hits are slightly higher. I'm betting FL is trading for one of Eberle or Galchenyuk at this point so they likely will replace Smith with a better option.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I can slightly understand why not to go 7-3-1 over the 4-4-1 approach. It was more likely then that FL would've lost a young defender like Petrovic or Psysk which have more cost control at this moment. Protecting Bjugstad could make sense too if he's eventually traded when his value isnt at the lowest point as it is now. His play in the WC suggest he could rebound quite well so it could make sense if thats how Tallon views it (and Bjugstad is cheaper than Smith too right now, 16M less to pay him versus 25M to pay Smith). And protecting Marchessault (who's a UFA-to-be) over Bjugstad also doesnt seem that smart if you ask me with the assumption FL wont be resigning him. Best course of action was to pay a hefty price in picks/prospects to get Vegas to take Smith but that ship has sailed.

That makes sense too and why I asked if it was Tallon or not. He has been known to go crazy in spending and not always the best at that. But definitely looks worse now when there was still time to re-sign him and likely could've been at 1M less IMO.
Are you suggesting though that Smith is a top 6 winger on a contending team? He's shown to be very inconsistent in his career...one good season followed by one bad season. I think he would be fine as a 3rd line W who could move up a line on a contending team but not as a bonafide top 6 guy.

Also there's other rumored trade targets out there to "find" prior to July 1st, even if they are making slightly more than 5M. Duchene (6M), Galchenyuk (likely in the 5-6M range), Eberle (6M), E.Kane (5.25M), and possibly James Neal (5M) if Vegas flips him. Any of those guys are worth more than Smith by a mile, even if their cap hits are slightly higher. I'm betting FL is trading for one of Eberle or Galchenyuk at this point so they likely will replace Smith with a better option.

All those deals were signed how long ago? What do they get on the next go round?

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017

100% correct. tallon sux AND rowe sucked. why do people seem to think those are mutually exclusive possibilities. rowe signed almost every player to a terrible contract ESPECIALLY ekblad which i would say would destroy this team for 8 years if we actually were going to spend the cap anyway which we definitely wont and never have. tallon has done horrible things for the panthers like signing bolland and kuba and this is just par for the course for him and he never apologizes for anything. he just shakes his stupid fat head to the side and acts like the question is ridiculous. the panthers have been mismanaged and unsupported financially since their beginnings and nothing has changed. dont expect a real roster this year or any year until theyre the nordiques. then feel free to root for them.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Rumors are that ownership wants to lower their internal salary again. If this is the case, the last two years owners have potentially ruined a franchise with great potential.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

To me, Petrovic has shown nothing more than being a bottom pairing guy. I have nothing against him, and like him, but it's not like he was a top 4 guy for us.
And we do have guys like McCoshen, Weegar in the AHL who should be close to possibly being ready to be thrown into the NHL fire as 3rd pairing guys with some competition.

Tallon stated we had multiple teams interested in both March and Smith, and I doubt the best offer on the table was from Vegas(4th in 18) if multiple teams were truly interested in him.

Problem with Bjugstad is that he had a poor year that rebounded in 15-16 in time for the playoffs but then followed up that performance with a dismal showing last year. Unless Gallant loved him, not sure Vegas would of taken him due to the risk he may never be that 20+G scorer again and he still has 4 years on his deal.

Guess we'll find out in a week+ how well or poorly the Panthers do in FA

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
Rumors are that ownership wants to lower their internal salary again. If this is the case, the last two years owners have potentially ruined a franchise with great potential.

there was no potential once those insane signings happened last offseason. the panthers are now stuck in average team limbo. no awesome players to win the cup and just good enough players to ensure we get no draft picks. offer sheeting kucherov last year was the only move that couldve made us even slightly competitive. as it stands now the team would need a complete overhaul which isnt going to happen in the time this "franchise" has left. we will suck till were moved. and we'll have never spent the cap once while using it constantly as an excuse to unload players. the panthers are indisputably the worst nhl outfit of all time. mismanaged in the beginning by accident and mismanaged now on purpose and im not sure which is worse. either way quebec should rejoice. the panthers are almost certainly coming their way. unless u really think a new yorker who knew nothing about hockey came down here to bring us a championship and lose money cause he inexplicably loves florida. wake up freaks. this insanity is by design.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007

When he's not hitting crossbars, I'd take Smith over Eberle and Kane for his two-way game. As to the trade, I think it's likely that Smith has more success this season than Marchessault.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
All those deals were signed how long ago? What do they get on the next go round?
Many were signed 3-5 yrs ago but both Duchene and Eberle have 2 yrs remaining on their deals so its not that pressing that they need to be re-signed. And either way, I dont think Eberle is going to really get a ton more than that unless he's back to a 30+ goal guy. Duchene will likely get an increase but the question is only if he'll be worth it to re-up. Galchenyuk is a RFA so he could be signed long term right now, likely around the number that Drouin just got. E.Kane and Neal are UFA-to-be but I would expect Kane's off-ice issues will limit his ability to ask for more than 6-7M and Neal has declined a bit but still an effective goal scorer so he likely is in that same 6-7M range but both have proven to be 20-30 goal scorers consistently. Smith just hasnt proven to be consistent year-in-year-out with his scoring which is why those others are worth more than his 5M (pay Smith about 1M less and then you're talking a different conversation IMO).
To me, Petrovic has shown nothing more than being a bottom pairing guy. I have nothing against him, and like him, but it's not like he was a top 4 guy for us.
And we do have guys like McCoshen, Weegar in the AHL who should be close to possibly being ready to be thrown into the NHL fire as 3rd pairing guys with some competition.

Tallon stated we had multiple teams interested in both March and Smith, and I doubt the best offer on the table was from Vegas(4th in 18) if multiple teams were truly interested in him.

Problem with Bjugstad is that he had a poor year that rebounded in 15-16 in time for the playoffs but then followed up that performance with a dismal showing last year. Unless Gallant loved him, not sure Vegas would of taken him due to the risk he may never be that 20+G scorer again and he still has 4 years on his deal.

Guess we'll find out in a week+ how well or poorly the Panthers do in FA
Petrovic likely was kept for the "grit" factor as I assume Tallon is trying to regain some of that identity after the analytics guys went overboard getting rid of too much of the grit. Even as a 3rd pairing guy, Petrovic is still cost effective in that aspect and has plenty of NHL experience. Both Weegar and McCoshen do not have that experience and technically only Weegar would compete with Petrovic as a RHD I would assume.

I'm sure there were multiple teams interested but they likely wanted FL to take back a contract as well. Thats where you and I just dont know whether that 4th was better than taking on a bad contract instead.

Wasnt Bjugstad one of the guys who was injured last yr too? Hard to judge him on that over his past performance that suggests he could be a 20g guy again. Maybe Vegas wouldnt have taken him but I think they likely would have and probably would've either flipped him to a team looking for size down the middle (see MTL) or given him top 6 icetime and hoping he rebounded and traded him next offseason possibly for a greater return. Size down the middle is something that teams will be interested in so it wasnt a horrible decision to protect him if he does rebound.

Is there any rumors regarding trades too for the Panthers? I would think with the draft this weekend, there is also a good opportunity to make a move to acquire a forward to replace some of that scoring lost and not just wait till FA starts. If there's not, then I'm guessing they go hard after a guy like Oshie with some of that money saved as well as bringing back Jagr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad