Confirmed Trade: [VGK/FLA] Reilly Smith + expose Marchessault for 2018 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
if true the division just got much MUCH weaker

Gonna bet they wanna dump the Smith contract and Vegas also takes Demers . Clears cap space and they soured on those guys

March cheap so that's weird if he goes unless it's a straight claims. No deal

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Carolina should be sniffing around this. They've been talking for a while about forward help shaking loose from the expansion draft. I could see them as a reasonable destination. They have an absolute stockpile of picks in this draft and have been on record as saying they don't intend to use them all.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Our winger depth is already pathetic. Why in the world would we want Vegas to take both of them?

Last edited:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Rielly Smith is a good young player. He simply had an unlucky year. I wonder if this is simply a contract dump or if Florida is getting something decent back.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
They'll need quality depth to make up for their lack of top-end fire power. Smith's contract is manageable for Vegas and Marchessault will be a great chip to play at this year's trade deadline.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Why?

Vegas could have Neal+March, which is a better duo

I dont see anything significant coming from vegas since they are taking on Smiths contract

Marchessault makes so little money he'd be real easy to move before the expansion draft, maybe the only reason he was not protected was cause this deal was in place before hand. Florida needs more goal scoring from the wings though and this has the opposite effect, if they believe March is a flash in the pan it is likely Neal will outproduce him goal scoring wise. I don't think Florida will bring back Vanek based on how he played, maybe this signals they are in on Kovalchuk and the cap savings from Reilly Smith helps them take him on.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Rielly Smith is a good young player. He simply had an unlucky year. I wonder if this is simply a contract dump or if Florida is getting something decent back.

Yeah there's no way a single GM in the league thinks R. Smith is a cap dump. Slightly overpaid yes, but that's about it.

He has value. I could easily see teams calling in what would it take for you to pick R. Smith and retain salary for us ?

Or Vegas wants Smith for themselves (he is under contract for 5 more years which is good for Vegas) and someone wanted Marchessault. McPhee really likes the offer for Marchessault.

Then Tallon says well you can have Marchessault too if you get X player from team A for us :laugh:

Then McPhee says okay fine and picks that player and trades them to the Panthers later for "future considerations" or whatever.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Panthers are the weirdest organisation in the NHL. Seems like Dale Tallon has taken the Iron Throne of the Panthers back and is proceeding to annhilate the previous usurpers and the people they brought in

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Panthers are the weirdest organisation in the NHL. Seems like Dale Tallon has taken the Iron Throne of the Panthers back and is proceeding to annhilate the previous usurpers and the people they brought in

But Tallon traded for Smith two years ago.

I wonder if this is to move up in the draft

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
If they dump marchy and smith while getting nothing in return, I'm going to be very dissapointed. There has to be more to the story than this

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why?

Vegas could have Neal+March, which is a better duo

I dont see anything significant coming from vegas since they are taking on Smiths contract

For Vegas Smith+ Marchessault is better, 2 younger top6W's.

Tallon is crazy if he does this, Jokinen& Jagr as your teams top3 W's. :amazed:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
if true the division just got much MUCH weaker

That's what you took from this? They are obviously doing it for a reason. Also Florida was a none factor last year due to injuries to it's best players not it's second line.

There is clearly a motive behind this and I wonder what it is.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's what you took from this? They are obviously doing it for a reason. Also Florida was a none factor last year due to injuries to it's best players not it's second line.

There is clearly a motive behind this and I wonder what it is.

You can't be a 1 line team in the NHL, and even that 1 line has 45y that needs to be carried around.

Their 2nd line played a huge part on their success season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That's really weird, if anything Florida needs more offense.

Subtracting two forwards from their group doesn't reallt solve that. They must be in on other forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->