Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] D Noah Hanifin signs extension with the Golden Knights (8 years, $7.35M AAV)

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
We're both wrong, it was $7.5m, so he took a bit less to be a VGK.

It was 7.5 in the fall. There were rumors that the Flames upped it to as much as 8.5x8 the week of the deadline in desperation.

But either way with the state income tax he will still make more.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
They're the true Whalers.
970e6820aa06a88dd0fd16552b20ae4f.jpg

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
Past few years, Golden Knights have spent ridiculous amount of money and made huge trades.

Sure that has won them the Cup but hows the future look for them?
Lets say they miss the play-offs this season, then what?

also

roughly 105 million cap hit with this contract, when the each teams salary cap is 83,5 million...
it is very nice to bend(read: brake) the rules... LTIR loophole is complete BS
Yeah, the Knights will soon naturally fall back like Tampa and Washington are doing, but, like those teams, it still beats by a mile spending a lot of money and effort and NOT winning a Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flames Fanatic

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This will hurt Vegas chances of re-signing Marchessault and Stephenson this summer unless they take serious hometown discounts. Both players would get huge $ in the pen market. Former Conn Smythe winner? Jonathan can easily get 7.5M/ in the open market even at his age.

Even if both walk, Vegas has Hertl and Mantha to replace them.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Great deal, and they can always open that cap space back up around the deadline. Absolutely no downside.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
This will hurt Vegas chances of re-signing Marchessault and Stephenson this summer unless they take serious hometown discounts. Both players would get huge $ in the pen market. Former Conn Smythe winner? Jonathan can easily get 7.5M/ in the open market even at his age.

Even if both walk, Vegas has Hertl and Mantha to replace them.
I don't see how they fit Marchessault, Stephenson or Mantha without trading someone else.

Maybe I'm doing the math wrong but it looks like they will have 6.5M in cap space to sign 5 players, assuming Lehner isn't coming back. That's one 3.5M player and fill the rest out with minimum contracts.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Just crazy that players still go out of their way to sign with Vegas with how disloyal they are. Marchessault was the Conn Smythe winner last year and this deal and the Hertl trade basically means he is gone.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Just crazy that players still go out of their way to sign with Vegas with how disloyal they are. Marchessault was the Conn Smythe winner last year and this deal and the Hertl trade basically means he is gone.

True. However, they stand a good chance while there.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
An 8 year deal for a 27 year old dman that never misses games, averages over 20 minutes in his career, with a .42 points per game seems crazy to you?
Some people do not realize top pairing defensemen or even top 96 defensemen (include #3 guys) are hard to come by in this league.

Multiple people said the Petro deal was bad.
Blues screwed up major not keeping him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I believe CGY tabled $7m x 8 years, which he almost signed. So he got a bit more with VGK.

& will pay less in tax, Nevada being a no state income tax state.

Vegas is also. consistent contender, whereas the Flames are in a. retool thing so I wouldn't vent blame him if he took less money.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I still can't understand trading a top 3D within the division, but what do I know.
I am guessing the few other offers they had must've been really shitty, and that aligns with a lot of the reporting around it.

I am not so mad they traded him to Vegas, it's whatever. It's that we definitely got rental value because of the circumstance but you just knew he was ultimately going to extend there with his buddy Eichel.

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
Frank Seravalli on today's Daily Faceoff Live mentioned the contract offered by Calgary was a higher gross but due to taxes the net was lower resulting in Hanifin making $6m more in Vegas.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I hate it was with an in-division rival, but no one ponied up for the prime years of Hanifin. We haven’t seen the best of him, especially since he’s still somewhat inconsistent but has been better. Still, a solid signing.

Signs a deal at 8.4% of the 24/25 salary cap.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I don't see how they fit Marchessault, Stephenson or Mantha without trading someone else.

Maybe I'm doing the math wrong but it looks like they will have 6.5M in cap space to sign 5 players, assuming Lehner isn't coming back. That's one 3.5M player and fill the rest out with minimum contracts.

I could see Marchessault going to Toronto on a 1 year deal to replace Bertuzzi.

Stephenson goes to Boston, if Boston can’t sign Lindholm.

I can see Mantha signing a cheap 2 year deal with Vegas.

Vegas has lots of cheap players that they can sign to minimum contracts. Expect Howden, Amadio, Dorofeyev, Kolesar, Cotter to see a lot more ice time next year.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
& will pay less in tax, Nevada being a no state income tax state.

Vegas is also. consistent contender, whereas the Flames are in a. retool thing so I wouldn't vent blame him if he took less money.
For sure. It make sense why he wanted out of CGY, and good for him getting a similar deal as CGY - financially he's further ahead.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad