Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CHI/TOR] Robin Lehner, Dzierkals to VGK, M. Subban, S. Demin, 2020 2nd to CHI, 2020 5th to TOR

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Don’t try to spin it like that bud. I got to know him well during his time here and he’s been at a constant battle with his Demons day in and day out since going cold turkey. The Vegas arena is right on the strip. Just concerned and praying he doesn’t fall into old bad habits

1. The players don't even need to drive on the Strip to get to the arena.

2. Their practice facility is in an upscale suburban area that is as far from the Strip as you can be.

3. Outside of the Strip, Vegas is just like anywhere else.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Great deal for Vegas. They get a big upgrade in goal over Fleury and it didn’t cost an arm and a leg. They probably won’t get past the Oilers to win the Pacific but they’re the next best team now.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
My response is spot on. He hasn't dealt with it. It's not past tense, never will be. He deals with it every day of his life, and will forever. Vegas is a terrible place to live when you're battling those demons.
I thought it was all a joke, but you're actually serious? It's one thing to go on vacation to a place, a whole other to live there.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Don’t try to spin it like that bud. I got to know him well during his time here and he’s been at a constant battle with his Demons day in and day out since going cold turkey. The Vegas arena is right on the strip. Just concerned and praying he doesn’t fall into old bad habits
It's sad that people took it the wrong way. I mean - this is literally what came into my mind as well.

I don't think anyone wants him to fall off the wagon. But yeah, it's a lot more temptations in Vegas compared to other cities.

At the end of the day you can just hope the management and the players show him around and that they remember his history. That they support him and that he got something to come home to.

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It's sad that people took it the wrong way. I mean - this is literally what came into my mind as well.

I don't think anyone wants him to fall off the wagon. But yeah, it's a lot more temptations in Vegas compared to other cities.

At the end of the day you can just hope the management and the players show him around and that they remember his history. That they support him and that he got something to come home to.

Just listened to an old Chiclets interview with Reaves, Schmidt, and Flower and they mentioned how the guys kinda live in a suburb outta town a bit, not like it’s the strip every night. I get your concerns, but temptation is everywhere- I think it’s more important he knows himself, what he’s gotta do, and likes living wherever he is. Vegas is probably tougher than most, but then again, Buffalo winters or Toronto media can get a guy down as well- addiction is a bitch, hoping Lehner loves Vegas and knows if he ever needs to get outta there.

edit- also, wasn’t Lehner’s thing like drinking a 12 pack every night watching tv? You can do that anywhere- dude definitely needs to monitor himself, not get sucked back into bad habits, but from what I remember his drinking seemed less “out and social” and more “depressed and home bound.” Alcoholism is tough no matter what, just sayin Vegas might not actually exacerbate the concern.

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Take a listen to Spittin Chicklets. Listen to the stories about guys cracking beers on the bus after a game. If Lehner can handle that, he can handle Vegas.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Dubas battling with cap space all year and decides to retain salary for other team because he's such a sweet little man... respect

Reactions: CupInSIX

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
My response is spot on. He hasn't dealt with it. It's not past tense, never will be. He deals with it every day of his life, and will forever. Vegas is a terrible place to live when you're battling those demons.
You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to Lehners current mind state/mental heath or living and working in Las Vegas.

When I have no idea what I’m talking about, I usually try to shut the f*** up.

Reactions: nihlify

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to Lehners current mind state/mental heath or living and working in Las Vegas.

When I have no idea what I’m talking about, I usually try to shut the f*ck up.
Then maybe you should.

I'm completely right about this.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Then maybe you should.

I'm completely right about this.

Right about what, exactly?

What it really sounds like is you have zero understanding of addiction and mental health and you are assuming that a place like Vegas immediately illicits a negative thought process for Lehner - hmmm that sounds awfully ignorant. People are right, you should probably sit this one out.

Reactions: AzHawk

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Can we retire the whole "Vegas is a bad place for addicts" meme? It's objectively offensive and just dumb. It's a metropolis of 2.2 million people with all the support systems that go with that. Stop acting as though the players are dropped into a heroin den with dozens of prostitutes when they arrive here. People are people and no matter where they are, they will be just that.

Reactions: Pandaman11

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3