Confirmed with Link: [VGK/AZ] Coyotes acquire a 2023 5th round pick and Shea Weber from Vegas for Dysin Mayo

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Floor insurance if they want to move bigger deals without taking anything. Also implies some alarming things about the cash budget.

edit: Ladd deal expires next season and there might be some really talented ELC players on the roster so maybe not the end of the world.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Floor insurance if they want to move bigger deals without taking anything. Also implies some alarming things about the cash budget.
which shouldn't be shocking given the revenue streams of a 5000 seat facility. The plan was always to run lean until the new arena is built and load up on entry level contracts.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

edit: Ladd deal expires next season and there might be some really talented ELC players on the roster so maybe not the end of the world.

Yeah, I think this is just some forward thinking on BA's part. We still don't know how high the cap will go up next season. But any cash savings is good cash savings if we assume the TED will go forward.

Reactions: BAdvocate

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also worth remembering that Mayo got a three year extension on a one-way deal. A gamble that did NOT pay off. He’s owed 1mil in actual cash as his AHL salary in each of the next two seasons. Given they can easily replace him with a guy making like 100k, the Yotes might even save money here, depending on the insurance situation.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Also worth remembering that Mayo got a three year extension on a one-way deal. A gamble that did NOT pay off. He’s owed 1mil in actual cash as his AHL salary in each of the next two seasons. Given they can easily replace him with a guy making like 100k, the Yotes might even save money here, depending on the insurance situation.

Yeah - Mayo's deal was head-scratching at the time and over the course of this season clearly became something unnecessary. A 5th in a stacked draft might not seem like much but it is better than the bag of pucks Mayo was worth.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah - Mayo's deal was head-scratching at the time and over the course of this season clearly became something unnecessary. A 5th in a stacked draft might not seem like much but it is better than the bag of pucks Mayo was worth.
I think it was a smart move. He had a really great season. Proved to be a flash in the pan. But I think it was worth the risk. This is more like Jaskin than like Valimaki. Haha.

Reactions: hbk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Mayo's deal wasn't head scratching at all. He was playing passable top 4 RD hockey at the time, then regressed mightily.

Okay, well, I was scratching my head if nobody else was. I can never figure out why general managers give out deals like that without seeing if that level of production is sustainable first. I get that in rare cases you can end up with a bargain for a really good player, but those cases are so few and far between that the gamble doesn't seem very wise.

Reactions: SniperHF

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Okay, well, I was scratching my head if nobody else was. I can never figure out why general managers give out deals like that without seeing if that level of production is sustainable first.
Well we lost Bunting when he showed us a flash and became a UFA. Mayo looked like a safe play and let's face it if we had the revenues of other franchises we wouldn't be penny pinching here and including him.

We have to do it again with Ingram who becomes a UFA as well if he doesn't play 2 more games this year. Once he does he's a RFA and will also be looking for a one way deal. He has arbitration rights as well so he will get it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ladd's hit is gone next year, so if you want guys like Cooley, Guenther, and Soderstrom on the roster you need to get some LTIR cap to hit the floor.

Chych and Ghost is $9m out the door alone.

BA is a notorious miser so overpaying a FA to come here is probably not in the cards, so this is the way.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
This move combined with the rumors of Bill Armstrong not wanting any salary in return for Chychrun is not a good look.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This move combined with the rumors of Bill Armstrong not wanting any salary in return for Chychrun is not a good look.
I think that’s a hilarious viewpoint. Upset about the trade? Be angry at the team that signed the contract not the team who is weaponizing cap space during a rebuild. My god. Zero negative consequences to AZ with this. We manipulate the system to accommodate a cheaper roster while we wait for an arena to be built. That’s business. This is business.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I see your point, but we’ve done it so many times maybe they would prefer to spend money on players that actually play for us. I don’t know if this is a sign that we are penny pinching or if this means taking on a bad contact for 3-5 years is not in the cards any longer because Armstrong and ownership expect to be competitive during that time.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Okay, well, I was scratching my head if nobody else was. I can never figure out why general managers give out deals like that without seeing if that level of production is sustainable first. I get that in rare cases you can end up with a bargain for a really good player, but those cases are so few and far between that the gamble doesn't seem very wise.

I didn't buy Mayo much either, but it still wasn't terribly risky so didn't bother me all that much.
We kinda did the same thing with Vejmelka and that worked out (mostly, though he's still inconsistent as hell and I'm not convinced he's an actual NHL quality starter for a non-shit team)
My god. Zero negative consequences to AZ with this. We manipulate the system to accommodate a cheaper roster while we wait for an arena to be built. That’s business. This is business.
I think there is serious fatigue in not being a normal NHL team, a sentiment I agree with for the most part.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Note this is the total before Weber’s 60% or 80% insurance.

He’s LTIR now. Would they have to move him to IR first? Is that how we’ll know if something is about to go down?

Traded players don’t retain their IR or LTIR status, they arrive on the new team’s active roster. The new team can then assign to player to IR or elsewhere as desired.

Reactions: rt

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I didn't buy Mayo much either, but it still wasn't terribly risky so didn't bother me all that much.
We kinda did the same thing with Vejmelka and that worked out (mostly, though he's still inconsistent as hell and I'm not convinced he's an actual NHL quality starter for a non-shit team)

I think there is serious fatigue in not being a normal NHL team, a sentiment I agree with for the most part.
Its not ideal but its the hand we were dealt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad