Confirmed with Link: [VGK/AZ] Coyotes acquire a 2023 5th round pick and Shea Weber from Vegas for Dysin Mayo

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Sigh.. I thought we were done with stupid contract trades.

I'm happy to get a pick for Mayo. I never would've expected he would be anything, even trade worthy, 2 years ago. Its disappointing that he couldn't build off his surprisingly decent season last year, but oh well.

Reactions: PainForShane

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
3 more years of Weber for a 5th?
Sigh.. I thought we were done with stupid contract trades.

I'm happy to get a pick for Mayo. I never would've expected he would be anything, even trade worthy, 2 years ago. Its disappointing that he couldn't build off his surprisingly decent season last year, but oh well.
I was hoping we were done as well. 3 more years of Weber for a 5th 🤷‍♂️

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
1677100753794.png

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
What was the actual cash in Weber's deal? I remember Mouser discussing how the was some uncertainty as to whether or not insurance was covering his wage. I would expect they are if we're taking it on? :dunno:

Edit: Same as Mayo next year if insurance is not footing the bill.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I thought I recalled during the initial trade learning that his deal was insured. Anyway, the cash is very low. And the incentive to dump was lower for VGK because of LTIR. Which is why we didn’t get a big return.

This only costs AZ a small amount of cash, and only helps VGK with off-season compliance. As a result, the Yotes don’t get much compensation.

But does this mean the Knights are hunting for a player with term? Are they about to acquire JT Miller or something insane like that? Haha.

Reactions: Summer Rose

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
have to remember the cap is expected to move up sharply after next year. Right when our roster is full of kids on entry level deals. This ensures we can develop the team the way we want to without fear of falling below the cap floor. This is a 5th round pick for Mayo. Given Mayo not playing in NHL this year it's a meh. Mayo was a 5th round pick himself years ago.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought I recalled during the initial trade learning that his deal was insured. Anyway, the cash is very low. And the incentive to dump was lower for VGK because of LTIR. Which is why we didn’t get a big return.

This only costs AZ a small amount of cash, and only helps VGK with off-season compliance. As a result, the Yotes don’t get much compensation.

But does this mean the Knights are hunting for a player with term? Are they about to acquire JT Miller or something insane like that? Haha.
Patrick Kane

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hmmm…I don’t know that this means we are about to swing a huge deal. I think it means Vegas is about to acquire an expensive player with multiple years left on his contract.

Sure, but adding Weber's cap hit gives us the flexibility to move guys like Chychrun, Ritchie, Kassian, Gostisbehere, Vejmelka, etc. at the deadline.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He’s LTIR now. Would they have to move him to IR first? Is that how we’ll know if something is about to go down?

I'm not sure of the paper transactions that would be necessary - smarter folks than I could answer that. But I think we'd get info about trades before any details of those transactions became available.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Someone on Twitter suggested that this possibly means the coyotes don't need to take back contracts in a Chychrun trade, possibly helping make that trade more possible. Anything that helps make a chychrun trade happen is my new favorite trade until the chychrun trade happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Coyotes19c

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Patrick Kane
Yeah but he’s UFA. They coulda done this without that. Unless they extend him?

Maybe we are the team doing pass through retention on Kane, also? Chicago eats 50%, then we eat 50% of that and VGK gets him for 25%

Heck, let’s throw in Chychrun to the Knights also. I’ll take Hague, Brisson, a 1st and a 2nd. :)

This move will have the main boards a flutter in anger for the rest of the evening. Should be fun reading.
Too bad we aren’t putting Chychrun back in the lineup also. Wild love to see a few losers just absolutely melt down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad