Very quick Ilitch/Yzerman update

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
This is probably going to get really awkward because I don't think Stevie will do anything as long as Holland is GM, and I don't think Holland isn't going to just step aside. I know a lot of people on here aren't going to care if they do Holland dirty though.

Reactions: mantha39

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is probably going to get really awkward because I don't think Stevie will do anything as long as Holland is GM, and I don't think Holland isn't going to just step aside. I know a lot of people on here aren't going to care if they do Holland dirty though.

What would “doing him dirty” be?

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Holland has been a good soldier, but he already planted his flag once driving Yzerman out of the organization by not being willing to give up his spot. I get the sense that the second time around, whether he hangs around to finish his contract, take a new role, retires, moves on to Seattle, or gets kicked to the curb, I don't think the organization will be "doing him dirty", it will be the right time for him to relinquish the position.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Holland has been a good soldier, but he already planted his flag once driving Yzerman out of the organization by not being willing to give up his spot. I get the sense that the second time around, whether he hangs around to finish his contract, take a new role, retires, moves on to Seattle, or gets kicked to the curb, I don't think the organization will be "doing him dirty", it will be the right time for him to relinquish the position.

I mean, there are levels to this though.

Kick to curb without asking? Dirty.
Ask and Holland throws a fit? Not Dirty.

Hire Stevie's people and let them marginalize Holland? Dirty.
Hire Stevei's people and request Holland to be a senior advisor? Not Dirty.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

If you had a lot of working years left and were in a prestigious position with only 29 peers would you so easily "give up your spot"? This isn't giving your bus seat to granny.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

Holland will be offered a new role on the team, of that I'm sure.
It will be up to him to accept or decline. Hence he will not be done dirty.
Bringing Yzerman home is the single smartest business move that the owners can make right now.
Its a feel good story with a beloved hero of the team, in an era of missing the playoffs and low fan attendance.
It will buy good faith from the fans for a few seasons at least.
So even if Holland is done dirty, its the smart MONEY play.
Money talks.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What would “doing him dirty” be?

It was a day like any other. Ken stepped out of his car, glancing at the Darren Helm billboard adoring the arena. "That's my boy," he thought. The brisk winter air reminded him of ski trips in British Columbia. Those were simpler times, before all the silver hardware and deadlines.

Something isn't right. The badge reader flashes red. A mistake? But it happens again. Red. The uniform. The dynasty. The blood spilled.

A window is nearby. His eyes pierce through but he's the one stabbed. It's him. Champagne bottles on ice. Pop! There's laughing and pats on the back. He looks so youthful still. He is still The Captain.

Ken's fist is tight. His breathing rapid. It's Suter to Minnesota all over again. The shock. The heartbreak.

Collapsing to the ground, there's a singular thought: "Did Daniel know about this?" A jet flies overhead. Maybe on its way to Seattle.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
It was a day like any other. Ken stepped out of his car, glancing at the Darren Helm billboard adoring the arena. "That's my boy," he thought. The brisk winter air reminded him of ski trips in British Columbia. Those were simpler times, before all the silver hardware and deadlines.

Something isn't right. The badge reader flashes red. A mistake? But it happens again. Red. The uniform. The dynasty. The blood spilled.

A window is nearby. His eyes pierce through but he's the one stabbed. It's him. Champagne bottles on ice. Pop! There's laughing and pats on the back. He looks so youthful still. He is still The Captain.

Ken's fist is tight. His breathing rapid. It's Suter to Minnesota all over again. The shock. The heartbreak.

Collapsing to the ground, there's a singular thought: "Did Daniel know about this?" A jet flies overhead. Maybe on its way to Seattle.

+50 Bench Bucks.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Excerpt from 50 shades of Holland.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I mean, there are levels to this though.

Kick to curb without asking? Dirty.
Ask and Holland throws a fit? Not Dirty.

Hire Stevie's people and let them marginalize Holland? Dirty.
Hire Stevei's people and request Holland to be a senior advisor? Not Dirty.

Disagree, you can outright tell him, "We are ready to go in a new direction at the GM position and Yzerman will be taking over. If you would like to stay with the organization as a senior advisor, we would be happy to transition you into that role, otherwise we understand and thank you for your service." Of course you can't really deploy that plan until Holland's contract is expiring.

If you had a lot of working years left and were in a prestigious position with only 29 peers would you so easily "give up your spot"? This isn't giving your bus seat to granny.

There's a difference. Nothing prevents him from working. He would have been taken to a higher executive role if he really wanted to stay, or always had the option to move on to do something outside of the organization. People get phased out of their positions all the time. I don't fault him from not wanting to leave, but if I hinted at wanting to lock up the guy I thought was a future stud GM and my current GM stood his ground resulting in my guy leaving to go build a powerhouse organization somewhere else, he certainly wouldn't be getting the benefit of the doubt the second time. I have no problem separating my appreciation for what Holland has done from what is considered a good business decision.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Disagree, you can outright tell him, "We are ready to go in a new direction at the GM position and Yzerman will be taking over. If you would like to stay with the organization as a senior advisor, we would be happy to transition you into that role, otherwise we understand and thank you for your service." Of course you can't really deploy that plan until Holland's contract is expiring.

There's a difference. Nothing prevents him from working. He would have been taken to a higher executive role if he really wanted to stay, or always had the option to move on to do something outside of the organization. People get phased out of their positions all the time. I don't fault him from not wanting to leave, but if I hinted at wanting to lock up the guy I thought was a future stud GM and my current GM stood his ground resulting in my guy leaving to go build a powerhouse organization somewhere else, he certainly wouldn't be getting the benefit of the doubt the second time. I have no problem separating my appreciation for what Holland has done from what is considered a good business decision.

Right, that's what I'm saying. If you come out and tell him, it's not doing him dirty. But if you try avoiding that conversation with him (as it's a difficult one when you're moving on from a long term guy, even with a ready made fix), that's where the dirtiness comes in.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I wasn't prompt in responding, but I guess everyone's covered it pretty well. Everyone has a different idea of what being done dirty means though. It's going to be up to him whether or not he thinks he was done wrong though. We probably won't agree with what he thinks though (do we ever?).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Do GM’s often get fired without a heads up?

Guess I always just assumed they at least get spoken to beforehand. My thought was I don’t think it’s out of line to fire a guy who oversees a team that finishes bottom 5 three years in a row, especially if they don’t acquire a top 3 pick in that span (although that’s somewhat out of your hands).

I understand there’s a lot of goodwill in this case, but this stuff happens around the league. Teams usually make changes during the bad years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Run the Jewels

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Have you been writing mystery novels?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Do GM’s often get fired without a heads up?

Guess I always just assumed that happened. My thought was I don’t think it’s out of line to fire a guy who oversees a team that finishes bottom 5 three years in a row, especially if they don’t acquire a top 3 pick in that span (although that’s somewhat out of your hands).

I understand there’s a lot of goodwill in this case, but this stuff happens around the league. Teams usually make changes during the bad years.

When the guy is a multiple Cup winner and his legacy basically establishes him as a Hall of Fame GM?

They'll play fair by him.

See what Melnyk did with Alfie. Hall of Fame player, got done dirty at end of career. A guy like Holland has earned the right to walk out of the job head held high. Not unceremoniously fired because of the last couple years.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
If Illitch is going to let Ken go, he shouldn’t let Ken sign Blash to an extension. If Blash gets a new deal, it’s because Illitch is planning on Ken sticking around.

It would suck for Blashill to be in limbo, but if his deal is up at least he can pursue other gigs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They just work together, like the three-headed-monster at 1994-97. Devellano-Bowman-Holland.

Simple solution from smart management.

Guys who have worked together... just work together again.

AMAZING.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They just work together, like the three-headed-monster at 1994-97. Devellano-Bowman-Holland.

Simple solution from smart management.

Guys who have worked together... just work together again.

AMAZING.

You don’t maintain status quo when you stink... that’s not how it works.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Holland has "done us dirty" since 2010.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad