Very quick Ilitch/Yzerman update

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I have a feeling once our season is over a request will be made... If it does happen, I want him in place before the draft

I think Illitch will wait for Tampa’s season to end as a courtesy to Vinik. Even though it isn’t a big distraction, you don’t want to be responsible for any type of distraction when trying to get a guy out of his deal before it expires.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I also don’t think the draft is a huge deal. When Yzerman took over TB, he let those guys run the draft. He restructured everything after the fact, but I expect it would be no different here.

You really just need to have him in place a few weeks before July 1.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think there’s something to that second comment. Then again, I may just be hoping there is.
Maybe I'm crazy, but if people are asking me about something that isn't happening, I don't say things like "We'll leave it at that." Especially considering the thing we're talking about is my current general manager's job security. If nothing were going on, I think the messaging would be far more plain, at least for Holland's sake.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Maybe I'm crazy, but if people are asking me about something that isn't happening, I don't say things like "We'll leave it at that." Especially considering the thing we're talking about is my current general manager's job security. If nothing were going on, I think the messaging would be far more plain, at least for Holland's sake.
If Yzerman is coming on board, then Holland has already giving his approval and a transition plan has been agreed upon.

Reactions: kliq and DInTheB

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
If Yzerman is coming on board, then Holland has already giving his approval and a transition plan has been agreed upon.

Yeah. I don’t sense Yzerman would come in without Ken’s blessing.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I have a feeling once our season is over a request will be made... If it does happen, I want him in place before the draft

Not saying I disagree, but I am not sure he's going to bring much value on draft day. And I suspect TBL are not tipping their cards to Yzerman about their drafting and scouting.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

He's avoiding the tampering. That's what it is. Yes, there is probably some discussions happening, but it's similar to the discussions that they all have just prior to the FA interview period where teams can't say "Hey, we would really like Steven Stamkos, even if they're clearly making moves to jockey to have money to offer him".

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I definitely see where you are coming from, and if this was a person who was asked something one time, and will never be asked again I would 100% agree with you. However I think in this world when you are asked questions frequently what is said to the media is typically the same every time regardless of merit to the news.
If Illitch always answered "there is no truth to that" every time he is asked something that is BS, then when there is truth to something he always answers "lets leave it at that...." it wouldn't take long for media and fans to figure it out. Long story short, I think he just says pretty much the same thing regardless of the merit behind the questions, assuming its a question are in this realm.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Hmm, let's see how that line works elsewhere.

Patient: How long do I have left?
Doctor: I know we have you on the schedule until the weekend. We'll leave it at that.

Wife: Are you seeing other women?
Husband: I know my secretary is married. We'll leave it at that.

Child: Do you think I can grow up to be an astronaut?
Father: I know your teacher says you eat glue a lot. We'll leave it at that.

Yup, definitely a flawless line for all situations.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He can't affect on next Wings draft because he'll still works the final week for Tampa when the draft happens.
Unless he is released by Tampa after they finish their playoff run.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is the plan Holland moves up to President? Jimmy moves to advisor (like Fletcher in Toronto)?

Holland has worked under Yzerman at Canada and Yzerman has worked under Holland at Detroit management.

If Yzerman joins at next summer I could see them as a split role, where Yzerman does the long-term plan. Hires new staff etc. maybe strenthens the scouting staff with some Tampa guys etc.

Holland operates short-term on his final year and leaves to Seattle after that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
what if there is no plan?
giphy.gif

Reactions: marcmadsen

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Is it really a forgone conclusion that Holland is on his way out or are we counting unhatched chickens here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad