Traded Veronneau for Aaron Luchuk and a conditional sixth-round draft pick in 2021

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I really hope we make some actual deals heading towards Trade Deadline. I am getting sick of these minor league trades that Dorion always seems to be giving up the player with the higher upside. Seriously, if he's not bothering to speak with any of our UFA's what the f*** is he doing?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We should be focused on acquiring assets that ... be turned into better assets ... Giving DJ his competitive team that is in 29th has not really turned my crank yet

Reactions: Gesus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not really. Bourque + Veronneau > Archibald for Belleville, especially if they give Archibald minutes over someone like Abramov. Luchuk isn't an AHL player.

Beats me. I haven't been following Belleville this year.

My only hope is the team has enough brains to set up a good environment for the kids down there. Not really focused on wins, but proper development. The whole idea of having our own farm team is to make these kids the best NHLers they can be.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Are you serious ??? Like come on...
This board just voted him as a better prospect than guys like Paul, Mandolese, Gruden and Allsing. Luchuk probably had the same amount of votes in all 30+ of those polls as he does points in the AHL this year. Its looks a hell of a lot better if we get the pick but the Leafs can easily just artificially without that.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
This is doing a favour for a player that signed with us as a college UFA. He chose Ottawa thinking he would get a shot. I didn't work out and he wasn't even a big part in Belleville.

We're doing the guy a solid and giving him a chance with another organization. He obviously was far down the organization depth chart, so it's not a loss to the team.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Not really. Bourque + Veronneau > Archibald for Belleville, especially if they give Archibald minutes over someone like Abramov. Luchuk isn't an AHL player.

I think your first comment is debatable. Bourque has only played 5 games in the AHL and played most of the season in the ECHL. Bourque and Luchuk seems to have a comparable impact to Belleville which seems marginal at this point.

Archibald is arguably a more impactful player than Veronneau at this point. Veronneau has something like 10 points in 30 games. Archibald has pretty consistently produced either comparably or superior numbers plus bringing a physical element.

Also Troy Mann was asked about Veronneau early in the season and he made some comment about him needing to go to the dirty areas and kind of implied that he is a perimeter player. Veronneau has some skill but it does seem like they pushed him to overcome being a perimeter player and he wasnt able to adapt.

I think we can question his potential impact in the AHL and how much of a long term prospect he is if he is unable to overcome being a perimeter player.

Reactions: Deku and Matsens15

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It seems like a nicely built deal. We get a guy who is a better fit for our AHL team, who’s played here before and had a letter, we do MV a solid by trading him to a team that has less depth so he can perhaps have a better shot, and if for some reason he actually manages to crack the NHL roster for more than 10 games we get a compensatory late round pick.

What’s not to like? What’s to dislike?

Reactions: Sen sational

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
If he signed in Ottawa on the basis that we would give him a legitimate opportunity to play in the NHL then Dorion did the right thing for him. From what has been written, it seems like he was more of a perimeter player and we are trying to create a much tougher team than that. Another perimeter for a soft Toronto team, seems appropriate.

Perhaps more importantly we are back to 48 contracts.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If he signed in Ottawa on the basis that we would give him a legitimate opportunity to play in the NHL then Dorion did the right thing for him. From what has been written, it seems like he was more of a perimeter player and we are trying to create a much tougher team than that. Another perimeter for a soft Toronto team, seems appropriate.

Perhaps more importantly we are back to 48 contracts.
how? they just traded for a contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad