Traded Veronneau for Aaron Luchuk and a conditional sixth-round draft pick in 2021

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't really expect Verroneau to pan out even though he showed some promise in his short NHL stint last year, but I'd rather have just kept him tbh.

Best of luck to him though, I suspect this might have been partially about sending him somewhere where he can get more opportunity as he seems to have fallen out of favour in our org.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I am quite sure we gave up the better player and prospect here,
I agree with this, however, this deal has really no impact going forward for the Ottawa Senators. There is no room for Veronneau with the big club, and he has been healthy scratched multiple times in Belleville. I think someone even mentioned that he may have requested a trade. Now, if Archibald starts to take away ice time from any of the young guys, then this could be a bit more of an issue.

The only negative impact may be that NCAA free agents may look at this as a negative if approached by the Sens, seeing as though we traded Veronneau not even a year after signing him. But really, that shouldn't matter all that much, since there is more than enough prospect depth already.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If he signed in Ottawa on the basis that we would give him a legitimate opportunity to play in the NHL then Dorion did the right thing for him. From what has been written, it seems like he was more of a perimeter player and we are trying to create a much tougher team than that. Another perimeter for a soft Toronto team, seems appropriate.

Perhaps more importantly we are back to 48 contracts.

Luchuk is on an NHL contract. So we are still at 49. He was probably in the deal because Toronto was also at 49, and Veronneau would have put them up to 50. Funny enough, that's probably the same reason he was originally dealt from us to Toronto.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Well, we traded an AHL guy for a ECHL guy, but as already mentioned the overall impact is moot as these guys will never make it to the bigs. I like getting Archibald though. I think he should help Belleville.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The Archibald aspect of this is actually really smart.

I probably nitpick these small deals more than the average bear, but given that it's likely never going to affect either big club and that Belleville gets a better fit, you've gotta count this as a (small) win for Dorion.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There’s nothing wrong with getting a kid an opportunity somewhere else

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Only way this makes sense is if Veronneau asked for a trade.

Because we moved him for a lesser prospect and a pick which we unlikely ever get

If it matters at all, we'll get that 6th round pick. In the sense that if Veronneau doesn't play 10 games in the NHL this year or next, who cares? So if we don't get the pick, it doesn't matter who the better prospect was, MV going to be 25 y/o at the end of 2020

:facepalm:

Surely you're being sarcastic, right?

I'm confused

If this is significant enough that we can read the term "we get bent over" in a trade involving Max Veronneau and Aaron Luchuk, imagine in a trade involving Erik Karlsson.

Was it like "we got bent over puissance 1000"?

Not really. Bourque + Veronneau > Archibald for Belleville, especially if they give Archibald minutes over someone like Abramov. Luchuk isn't an AHL player.

I know I have been lambasted on this site for using the word paranoia but... seriously? I have seen a lot of complaining for meaningless stuff but are you trying to take the cake here?

Bourque isn't an AHL player either

Luchuk is still still 22 y/o; so younger than Veronneau and is over PPG in the ECHL this year. Who's to say he can't turn into a decent/good AHL player?

Archibald is a good vet to add before the playoffs, lot of pro experience to help guiding all these green prospects

Veronneau was stuck in a heavy number game, behind all the guys like Paul, Chlapik, Abramov, Formenton, Norris, Balcers, Batherson, etc. And then there's guys like Pinto, Crookshank, Gruden, etc who will add even more competition in the near future. If Veronneau couldn't crack the Ottawa NHL line-up this year, he won't have a better chance in the future

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsens15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad