Confirmed with Link: Verbeek new Griffins GM

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Verbeek confirms that they use the over ripen strategy with kids that they learned from Ken Holland. That should dispell the notion that Berggren, Raymond or even Veleno will make the Wings roster.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
- Yzerman has his brother working on management
- Verbeek will manage Griffins, his son playing there
- Draper will draft his own son.

What's next? Sounds like a family business. :)

Hayden Verbeek is not currently with the organization

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The Tigers had Alex Avila and drafted Ben Verlander.

And Prince for a bit.

TBH, I'm not sure how much a 'good' minor league team really means...the Whitecaps won their league championship several years ago, ditto with the Griffins...does not always translate to good pro players. And sticking with my Tigers rant, that is an organization that cannot really develop.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
For one thing the current coach wasn't even around then. For another lots of solid players were developed there including Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Bert, Hronek ect... Incidentally Blashill was coaching there when these players were developed and everyone wants to torch him as well. Really it seems that a sizeable segment of the fan base just wants to see someone punished constantly. Holland, Abby, Helm, Glendenning, Blashill.....Now some of them are turning their sights on Draper. It's just bloodlust.

I get the gist of your post. But I have to say, of the guys you listed to be "punished", most of their heads should roll.

Sports is about success and results (unless you work for the Sabres, Lions or Bengals) I can tell you that between watching Holland hand out loyalty contracts, to said Abby and Helm, vs. watching, say, Bill Belichek toss a player to the side like a Mt. Dew can on a Kentucky byway when they are no longer useful...I prefer the latter.

Last edited:

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I get the gist of your post. But I have to say, of the guys you listed to be "punished", most of their heads should roll.

Sports is about success and results (unless you work for the Sabres, Lions or Bengals) I can tell you that between watching Holland hand out loyalty contracts, to said Abby and Helm, vs. watching, say, Bill Belichek toss a player to the side like a Mt. Dew can on a Kentucky byway when they are no longer useful...I prefer the latter.
The Patriots are no longer contenders. By Red Wing fan standards that mean Belichek should be banished and hated. Every post Brady decision attacked for years and years.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The Patriots are no longer contenders. By Red Wing fan standards that mean Belichek should be banished and hated. Every post Brady decision attacked for years and years.

Okay. Since the reference of the greatest coach in Nfl history didn't work, I will ask this: would you rather have Holland right now with Abby and Nielson finishing out their contracts, or would you rather have that mean Yzerman and all the changes he made to negate those deals?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Okay. Since the reference of the greatest coach in Nfl history didn't work, I will ask this: would you rather have Holland right now with Abby and Nielson finishing out their contracts, or would you rather have that mean Yzerman and all the changes he made to negate those deals?
Those deals are literally meaningless. The team sucks. The cap space will do nothing to make the team better.
Yzerman very much models his management style after what he learned from Holland. However Holland is vastly more accomplished based on his exstensive experience. Holland has proven he knows what a Stanley Cup team looks like. I am happy that Yzerman is back in the organization and I think he's done some good things and some not so good things. I would prefer that Holland was still in the organization though as well. He's one of if not the best GM in franchise history.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wonder how long it will be before Yzerman hands over the day to day operations to Verbeek and becomes President of the whole organization. I guess when Devellano retires

This is the rumored succession plan, at least I have heard it thrown out before. It kind of makes sense, my guess is he plans on handing them over after they win. I don't think Stevie is stepping aside for a while, but I do think he wants Verbeek to follow him and I think that is why Verbeek followed him back.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Those deals are literally meaningless. The team sucks. The cap space will do nothing to make the team better.
Yzerman very much models his management style after what he learned from Holland. However Holland is vastly more accomplished based on his exstensive experience. Holland has proven he knows what a Stanley Cup team looks like. I am happy that Yzerman is back in the organization and I think he's done some good things and some not so good things. I would prefer that Holland was still in the organization though as well. He's one of if not the best GM in franchise history.

I'm sure Edmonton fans wish Holland was back in Detroit as well.

You can easilly dismiss Belichek as not being relevant because his team is not competetive, but you beat the drum for Kenny to return? Bill B. has had 2 down years, Holland has had nearly a decade. You can't have it both ways. At any rate, based on your slew of recent posts, you strike me as the type that will be disappointed if the future Wings 3-peat as Cup champs and you feel they should have won 5 in a row.

Last edited:

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I'm sure Edmonton fans wish Holland was back in Detroit as well.

You can easilly dismiss Belichek as not being relevant because his team is not competetive, but you beat the drum for Kenny to return? Bill B. has had 2 down years, Holland has had nearly a decade. You can't have it both ways. At any rate, based on your slew of recent posts, you strike me as the type that will be disappointed if the future Wings 3-peat as Cup champs and you feel they should have won 5 in a row.
You clearly missed the point. Given his record Belicheck is obviously one of the greatest ever. His teams inevitable downfall doesn't change that. The same is true for Holland.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I am not sure what you mean by "not currently with the organization" but he has a GRG contract

ahh yea I guess I missed that. I remember reading that he wasnt qualified and hadn’t seen anything else so in my mind he wasnt going to be around at all

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Marian Ilitch, Owner & Secretary-Treasurer
Chris Ilitch, Governor, President and CEO, Detroit Red Wings & President and CEO, Ilitch Holdings, Inc.
Jim Devellano, Sr. Vice President & Alternate Governor
Steve Yzerman, Executive Vice President & General Manager

Red Wings brass and their official titles.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah but we've had blood lust for 4 time cup champs. It's like to only answer for anything is to torch someone's career.

Edmonton has been irrelevant for 30 years because of their reliance on four-time cup champs. Then they went after another one and continue to be irrelevant.

Obvious troll is obvious.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Marian Ilitch, Owner & Secretary-Treasurer
Chris Ilitch, Governor, President and CEO, Detroit Red Wings & President and CEO, Ilitch Holdings, Inc.
Jim Devellano, Sr. Vice President & Alternate Governor
Steve Yzerman, Executive Vice President & General Manager

Red Wings brass and their official titles.
Strange that he has that title, but thank you for the clarification

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Verbeek confirms that they use the over ripen strategy with kids that they learned from Ken Holland. That should dispell the notion that Berggren, Raymond or even Veleno will make the Wings roster.

Over-ripe quickly becomes rotten.

I sure hope Yzerman and Verbeek aren't as stupid as Holland was with this development strategy.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Over-ripe quickly becomes rotten.

I sure hope Yzerman and Verbeek aren't as stupid as Holland was with this development strategy.

That's hardly been the case with the last few seasons.

Hronek spent essentially a season and a half in the AHL, then came up.
Zadina spent a year and a half in the AHL, then came up.
Ras only has had small stints in the AHL, otherwise has been on the Wings.
Givani Smith has about 2 seasons of AHL under his belt and is getting time on the Wings.
Lindstrom and Veleno have each got some games without playing absurd amounts of game in the AHL.

No one is over ripening under the current model.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad