Confirmed with Link: Verbeek new Griffins GM

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think we all saw this coming. It's not bad for us. He's got a good history of working as assistant GM in Tampa for Yzerman. It would be his first time as GM of a team so I'm interested to see what direction he takes the team. In Tampa he was director of player personnel while Julien Brisebois was the GM of Syracuse Crunch.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
- Yzerman has his brother working on management
- Verbeek will manage Griffins, his son playing there
- Draper will draft his own son.

What's next? Sounds like a family business. :)

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Seems like a good move. Still with the Wings and works closely with Steve. So it's a way of really following some now high end prospects. I think this will actually help with player development/progress reports.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
- Yzerman has his brother working on management
- Verbeek will manage Griffins, his son playing there
- Draper will draft his own son.

What's next? Sounds like a family business. :)

Blashill's son will be a new assistant coach and the eventual head coach.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah but we've had blood lust for 4 time cup champs. It's like to only answer for anything is to torch someone's career.
How many players key players from those Cup teams were developed in Grand Rapids?
Helm, Flip, and Kronwall?
I think that's it.

If anything, it tells you how bad the team is at developing players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How many players key players from those Cup teams were developed in Grand Rapids?
I think that's it.

More of coincidence, that Zetterberg and Datsyuk were developed at Europe and ready to jump straight in NHL. Those days will come back, when we get Red Wings back to contender status. Then the stars will carry+mentor those kind of kids, so can jump in from the fly. Now the team is weak and current core has enough pressure and duties as try to win games.

Grand Rapids Griffins developed SC-winners are

- Kronwall
- Filppula
- Hudler
- Helm
- Ericsson
- Kopecky
- Lebda
- Meech
- McCarty 2nd coming

It's quite interesting, that Griffins seemed to have better teams and prospects doing better, on those years after 2008. I think they didn't invest on the team that heavy before. They started investing, when the cap started causing real problems. I think that player group is good results from 2003 to 2008, a very short time period, which did affect to our Cup win.

What is false hope, is to think Griffins could develop superstars from nobodies. They won't. But they are the key for team depth, which will win in the end. Superstars just come from elsewehere than AHL-route.

Last edited:
Reactions: ealong59

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I think that's it.

For one thing the current coach wasn't even around then. For another lots of solid players were developed there including Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Bert, Hronek ect... Incidentally Blashill was coaching there when these players were developed and everyone wants to torch him as well. Really it seems that a sizeable segment of the fan base just wants to see someone punished constantly. Holland, Abby, Helm, Glendenning, Blashill.....Now some of them are turning their sights on Draper. It's just bloodlust.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That sounds great. Always been using analytics like that.

I first look maybe some stats, if there some fluke in it. Does this meet with eye-test?Many times it won't.

And opposite ways. Someone looks very good with eye-test. Then check the stats. If both are good, it's rarely not a real deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad