Movies: Venom: Let There Be Carnage

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
'Venom: Let There Be Carnage' Is Somehow Even Worse Than the First Movie

...Let There Be Carnage might be charming if its budget weren't nine figures. For about one-millionth of the price, it would be a loveably awful student film that a teacher would give the lowest possible passing grade out of pity, because at least they showed up to class and completely the assignment. As it is, it's a complete waste of time, talent and money.

I'll watch the flick eventually (87 minutes! Woooo!) but I'd be willing to bet that I wind up more entertained by this review than the movie itself.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I just found that review funny. Despite disliking the 1st movie I'll try to go into this one with an open mind. I'm hoping Serkis leans hard into the campy ridiculousness of it all.

I'm hoping for a Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance to the first's Ghost Rider if you will.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Still need to watch the first one... actually own it but just haven't got around to watching it :laugh:

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Saw it last night and liked it! Pretty full theater and there were several times the entire theater broke out laughing.

I haven’t seen the first but it’s in my to do list now!

Oh and everyone in the theater flipped out on the end credit scene.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Venom 2 broken the post pandemic opening weekend record with just over $90M. That's the initial estimate, that I'm guessing will go up a bit more tomorrow with actuals.

It's going to face a lot of competition this month, so, we'll see if it has enough momentum to beat out Shang Chi for highest overall domestic gross during the pandemic. The fact that's even a possibility though speaks to how well its performing.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
This was a funny movie, I liked it. Probably need to watch it with closed caption though. Venom is hard to understand at times :laugh:.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So the merging of the multiverse has begun....and the Venom-verse might be how the bring in mutants in the MCU as Shriek seems to be depicted as one in the movie and in her own words, she was moved to a place with others like her.

Also looks like we will be getting Toxin in the future with Pat Mulligan having the eye change at the end.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So, what happened in the mid-credit scene?

The only explanation I can think of is that Venom and Brock were snapped away by Thanos, and then time jumped forward 5 years and they reappeared...

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
So, what happened in the mid-credit scene?

The only explanation I can think of is that Venom and Brock were snapped away by Thanos, and then time jumped forward 5 years and they reappeared...
Pretty sure the Thanos snap didn't happen in their universe. It's much more likely to do with the plot of the upcoming Spider-Man movie

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Obviously the relationship between Brock and Venom was the highlight of the film, however, I thought it went too far at times in its attempt at humour... the Venom making breakfast scene, for example, looked like it was written to make children laugh, not entertain adults

The entire tone of the film just felt off from the get-go... as if it had been made for preteens as the intended demographic

I'm not familiar with Cletus Kasady in the comics, but Harrelson's performance didn't work for me... neither did the actress who played Shriek... I thought both of them were cartoonishly over-the-top

Overall, it's not a great film, but manages to remain moderately entertaining throughout, in part because of its short run time...

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I thought this was awful. For one it was pretty short and limited action, two they wasted Harrelsons talent and three there was limited story build up.

Thank God I watched it for free cause I was super disappointed.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched this. Holy shit it was bad. Slightly better than the first but largely due to shorter run time. At times it was decent ("f*** that guy!"), at times it was so bad it was funny good but mostly it was just bad. Post-credit scene was the best part.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I thought it was pretty good. Better than the first. The fact that it was shorter probably saved it as it meant less boring filler scenes

Really excited to see where the mid credits scene takes Venom...you gotta think he'll make an appearance at some point in NWH to tie it in

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We need a rated R Venom movie series because PG-13 Venom does not work and PG-13 Carnage sure as hell does not work.

To do these characters the right way they need to be rated R, especially Carnage he needs to feel like a threat and he just doesn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad