GDT: Vegas @ Washington | 1/24/22 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
The eye test is important but I don’t recall a recent game where I legitimately thought the Caps got out played besides the away game in Boston. Every other game, it felt like they were in control and could’ve/should’ve won but some combination of poor goaltending/finishing and then an awful PP did them in.

The PP is the only thing that would be a system issue. The others are definitely skill related, but also involves a lot of luck and fluctuates throughout the season. Right now they can’t finish or make a save. The Caps are a top 10 finishing team and that is due to improve at some point. And the goaltending isn’t great but also isn’t as bad as its been the last 2 months.

I’m still at the point where I’m more concerned with how they’re controlling play at 5v5 (which has generally been very positive all season) than the standings. Admittedly, if this continues too much longer where they still aren’t putting wins together, I’ll worry. We’ll see. I’ll be surprised if they don’t turn it around soon though.

I agree that the Caps usually look to be in control, the did against Vegas too. But they´re not winning enough. This is the way it´s been for a while now i feel

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I see things a bit differently. Its not just the inept PP or playing bad hockey over all, I'm seeing the makings of a team that is starting to tune out its coach. They come out flat game after game after game and get down. Its a trend.

This is a pattern for Lavi too. But typically they have a high before his team tunes him out which we seem to have skipped. Lavi isn't very different from Bruce, they seem to have a similar coaching style - they both get loud, get angry, lots of yelling. Someone posted a video of Lavi in the locker room a few weeks ago and my first thought was this sounds way too similar to Bruce. Bruce's shit didn't work with our guys so I highly doubt Lavi's works. I do think we need someone like Trotz who has a much calmer demeanor.

I honestly hope I am wrong and that he figures out a way to fix this.

Hmm. I would disagree. I for some reason watched a presentation from Lavi about how he wants teams to play and the Caps are playing pretty much exactly that way. And 5v5 it´s working pretty well. Let´s say the Caps PP was performing at fairly standard rate, let´s say between 15-20%. We would be a top 5 team in the league then given the amount of OT losses etc.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I agree. CMM and Protas should be playing more than the 4th line. Sprong should be in the lineup and playing more than them as well.

I would continue playing the 4th line a lot but bench Hagelin and put Sprong in his place. They do generate a lot of offence but neither of them are great at finishing, which is about the only thing Sprong actually does well.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Keeps playing like what? 0/5 on the PP? I was there last night, cannot really remember a meaningful scoring chance the entire game.

Based on what you are saying, Lavi likes most of what he sees. That’s concerning.

There were meaningful scoring chances. Ovi´s shot from the slot, Protas deflection into the crossbar and a shot that hit the post. We played well this game, and with a competent PP would have won. But........

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Ok. I wil stop puking back up what he says. You guys talk amongst yourselves about it. I would think that after spending this post game thread pounding him that you would take the ammo from his presser for more pounding. I guess not. I wont mention anything Laviolette says from here forward unless someone asks why Lavy is doing something? Then i suppose it would be ok for me to respond with a "Coach says...." answer. Ok...or no?

Okay you're being a little dramatic but honestly how does adding Lavi's press conference comments add to this discussion? Its not like you're posting it for informational purpose, you're posting it to say "you guys are wrong, here is whats actually happening." We can all watch his press conferences, we hear what he is saying. We don't agree with it. Plus no coach is going to say the team has legitimate issues, they all say the same damn thing - we are working through it, i liked how they played, blah, blah blah. So what is the point dude?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Me, I'm still of the mindset of the esteemed Jim Zorn. Stay medium, my friends!
X9ojgwm.jpg
zornorbs2.jpg

zornorbs2.jpg

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Okay you're being a little dramatic but honestly how does adding Lavi's press conference comments add to this discussion? Its not like you're posting it for informational purpose, you're posting it to say "you guys are wrong, here is whats actually happening." We can all watch his press conferences, we hear what he is saying. We don't agree with it. Plus no coach is going to say the team has legitimate issues, they all say the same damn thing - we are working through it, i liked how they played, blah, blah blah. So what is the point dude?

Dramatic? Ok. You guys run in a group with a similar opinion. I offer what the coach just said regarding those things you are talking about and that's bad?

Ok. Its not welcome and I dont want to get attacked for doing it. You win. Carry on

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Dramatic? Ok. You guys run in a group with a similar opinion. I offer what the coach just said regarding those things you are talking about and that's bad?

Ok. Its not welcome and I dont want to get attacked for doing it. You win. Carry on

Can we just hug it out tx?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

seems informational to me…I don’t watch press conferences, so I don’t mind an occasional recap, and I especially like it in rebuttal to general fan angst.

Reactions: Neil Racki

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Ok. I wil stop puking back up what he says. You guys talk amongst yourselves about it. I would think that after spending this post game thread pounding him that you would take the ammo from his presser for more pounding. I guess not. I wont mention anything Laviolette says from here forward unless someone asks why Lavy is doing something? Then i suppose it would be ok for me to respond with a "Coach says...." answer. Ok...or no?

I am pretty sure that what irritates most people around here is that you NEVER seem to criticize the team, even when they are quite obviously playing poorly. Most of the time you will tell us why the lines are deployed the way they are, why the PP is run the way it is, and it's always based on what the coach has said in his pressers. Okay, that's cool - now how about you tell us what YOU think? You obviously understand the game very well.
You treat the Caps organization with a bizarre kind of reverence, as if they can do no wrong, and as if Laviolette in particular is this brilliant coach who has everything under control and it's all going to plan, etc.

The reality is that this team has had THREE first round exits since they won that Cup. They have basically gone back to being the exact same team they were prior to winning a Cup, except for a couple of notable differences: they're no longer the best regular season team in the Metro / league, and other teams (Rangers, Canes) are getting better. The only reason we're still holding that wildcard spot is because the Flyers continue to be totally dysfunctional and the Isles had to play all those games on the road, then deal with covid etc, and now seem incapable of clawing their way back because they can't score goals.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am pretty sure that what irritates most people around here is that you NEVER seem to criticize the team, even when they are quite obviously playing poorly. Most of the time you will tell us why the lines are deployed the way they are, why the PP is run the way it is, and it's always based on what the coach has said in his pressers. Okay, that's cool - now how about you tell us what YOU think? You obviously understand the game very well.
You treat the Caps organization with a bizarre kind of reverence, as if they can do no wrong, and as if Laviolette in particular is this brilliant coach who has everything under control and it's all going to plan, etc.

The reality is that this team has had THREE first round exits since they won that Cup. They have basically gone back to being the exact same team they were prior to winning a Cup, except for a couple of notable differences: they're no longer the best regular season team in the Metro / league, and other teams (Rangers, Canes) are getting better. The only reason we're still holding that wildcard spot is because the Flyers continue to be totally dysfunctional and the Isles had to play all those games on the road, then deal with covid etc, and now seem incapable of clawing their way back because they can't score goals.

Why do I need to criticize the team? The board has you and umpteen others who provide a great content on that side of things. Often in the process of ripping some poor guy wide open somebody will ask WHY. I then provide some context. You dont find me slobbering all over players and coaches and the gm either. If you want to know my opinion on something, ask a question.

I think a lot of what you think that I think is wrong based on your prejudgement. The last two seasons I said the Caps needed to win something in the playoffs or the pressure of the old monkey would return. I got shot down pretty hard on that too. I am am not convinced what irritates people is me refusing to be negative. If it is, then maybe they should ask more questions.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Why do I need to criticize the team? The board has you and umpteen others who provide a great content on that side of things. Often in the process of ripping some poor guy wide open somebody will ask WHY. I then provide some context. You dont find me slobbering all over players and coaches and the gm either. If you want to know my opinion on something, ask a question.

I think a lot of what you think that I think is wrong based on your prejudgement. The last two seasons I said the Caps needed to win something in the playoffs or the pressure of the old monkey would return. I got shot down pretty hard on that too. I am am not convinced what irritates people is me refusing to be negative. If it is, then maybe they should ask more questions.

Okay I'll ask you some questions. In the General Discussion thread :thumbu:

Reactions: txpd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad