GDT: Vegas @ Washington | 1/24/22 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
The ES scoring will pick back up when the lines stabilize a little more. 8-92-43 back in action will do wonders.

The goaltending has been adequate from VV. The D-men are good enough to win unless we have our 1-3 guys out and need a Cholo or Irwin to play traffic cone for a few nights.

The PP is clearly the #1 problem. Even on a night where there was a legit "hot goalie" on the other side and luck of the bounce/pipe played a role.

Can't control the other goaltender or the bad breaks and can't force guys to get well so fixing the PP has to be the focus.

/obvious
Agree about Cholowski. Irwin has actually surprised me though and has been perfectly adequate as a 7D IMO.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I see things a bit differently. Its not just the inept PP or playing bad hockey over all, I'm seeing the makings of a team that is starting to tune out its coach. They come out flat game after game after game and get down. Its a trend.

This is a pattern for Lavi too. But typically they have a high before his team tunes him out which we seem to have skipped. Lavi isn't very different from Bruce, they seem to have a similar coaching style - they both get loud, get angry, lots of yelling. Someone posted a video of Lavi in the locker room a few weeks ago and my first thought was this sounds way too similar to Bruce. Bruce's shit didn't work with our guys so I highly doubt Lavi's works. I do think we need someone like Trotz who has a much calmer demeanor.

I honestly hope I am wrong and that he figures out a way to fix this.
Haven’t they scored the 1st goal of the game more times than anyone else in the league? The only major coaching issue I see is related to the PP.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Haven’t they scored the 1st goal of the game more times than anyone else in the league? The only major coaching issue I see is related to the PP.
The utilization of players is a major coaching concern.

Last night we basically had 3 lines. If we get to the postseason, there will be nothing left. Some of these guys have nothing now.

Last edited:

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
The utilization of players is a major coaching concern.

Last night we basically had 3 lines. If we get to the postseason, there will be nothing left. Some of these guys have nothing now.
I agree. CMM and Protas should be playing more than the 4th line. Sprong should be in the lineup and playing more than them as well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Eh, that's nitpicky. I can understand trying to put a shutdown line out there to make sure there's still only a 1 goal deficit when you go empty net and put your top line out for the end.

What has better odds...

1. The rookie line scoring a goal in that 30-60 second window
  2. The rookie line giving up a goal in that 30-60 second window
  3. Your veteran shutdown line keeping it to 1 goal while the veteran stars rest, and then your top players scoring in the final 90-120 seconds with a man advantage

?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Survey says: yes. But they also lead the league in losses when scoring first and their win percentage when scoring first is 24th. Overall they score less goals in the first period (40), than the second (45) or third (50). They also give up few in the first (26) but have bad second periods (a whopping 50). I wonder if the long change given their short benches isn't a key issue.

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I still believe (1) theres a ton of games left and youd rather be clicking come April, (2) we have the right players in house to play much better .... but that f***ing PP. They had about 10 days of break at the end of December and it doesnt seem like they addressed anything.

March =- when Ill start to worry

Sharks on Wednesday, another home game.

Reactions: g00n and caps4cup

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Almost threw my remote through the TV when I saw HDH out there with two minutes left. Well, not really, but it’s maddening. Lavi has no handle on the roster at the moment.

Won’t even comment on the PP. Either they’re too arrogant to think they need to change or incapable of changing but either way it’s inexcusable. You have four All-Stars and Tom Wilson — you should not be 30th in the league at converting and completely inept at entering the zone.

Vitek looked good though. That goal against was beer league quality but the loss certainly isn’t on him and he made a few clutch saves that should have been enough.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Hagelin hate has now absorbed the entire Dowd line. We hate seeing all 3 of them and want them playing like a normal 4th line. Its so bad that people are crying for more Conor Sheary toi.

Lavy hate is next. Saw his post game presser. He said he didnt like the St Louis game and didnt like the Boston game but says if the team kee[s playing like this, the wins will come. He doesnt think they are playing terrible. He likes their game. Time to can his ass. No?

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Hooray for chin straps.

And that's why I'm not going to games.
D7822C95-A961-4664-AB4C-F94AE2AA4B91.jpeg

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
The Hagelin hate has now absorbed the entire Dowd line. We hate seeing all 3 of them and want them playing like a normal 4th line. Its so bad that people are crying for more Conor Sheary toi.

Lavy hate is next. Saw his post game presser. He said he didnt like the St Louis game and didnt like the Boston game but says if the team kee[s playing like this, the wins will come. He doesnt think they are playing terrible. He likes their game. Time to can his ass. No?
Keeps playing like what? 0/5 on the PP? I was there last night, cannot really remember a meaningful scoring chance the entire game.

Based on what you are saying, Lavi likes most of what he sees. That’s concerning.

Reactions: PlushMinus and txpd

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yes, a complete mystery why the identity line is criticized when overall identity is questionable and scoring is drying up.

Checking out relative Corsi For rates suggests their issues will not be an easy fix. Kuznetsov & Wilson posting their worst figures among forward regulars, despite their time with Ovechkin, suggests they're probably not going to become any kind of cohesive attacking team any time soon. These are two key players that must lead the top six and that figure suggests they're not remotely close. Backstrom, on the other hand, comes out pretty well in his limited sample. Of course, so do many of the less-trusted depth players that we can likely conclude will never be trusted unless there's no other choice. So many of their issues are self-created. So, yes, the coaching pitchforks are very much warranted at this point. It's not a perfect roster. It's not a peak contender type roster. But it's increasingly dysfunctional and their boxed-in nature is seemingly by design.

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Lavy hate is next. Saw his post game presser. He said he didnt like the St Louis game and didnt like the Boston game but says if the team kee[s playing like this, the wins will come. He doesnt think they are playing terrible. He likes their game.

He is delusional if he feels that way. There was nothing about last night's game that suggests the team is playing well and should've won. I thought Vegas was the better team, mind you with more players out than us.

I'm also not sure why you keep regurgitating what Lavi says in his press conferences as if to imply his excuses/reasonings are great. They're not. They don't make sense, and a lot of us here don't seem to agree with them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
regurgitating.

Ok. I wil stop puking back up what he says. You guys talk amongst yourselves about it. I would think that after spending this post game thread pounding him that you would take the ammo from his presser for more pounding. I guess not. I wont mention anything Laviolette says from here forward unless someone asks why Lavy is doing something? Then i suppose it would be ok for me to respond with a "Coach says...." answer. Ok...or no?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok. I wil stop puking back up what he says. You guys talk amongst yourselves about it. I would think that after spending this post game thread pounding him that you would take the ammo from his presser for more pounding. I guess not. I wont mention anything Laviolette says from here forward unless someone asks why Lavy is doing something? Then i suppose it would be ok for me to respond with a "Coach says...." answer. Ok...or no?
We are perfectly capable of watching pressers ourself, thank you.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
One regulation win in ten games but largely content? That's an awfully low bar for a veteran team with any sort of ambition. If this is the process and this is the threshold then good luck. They'll need it. To be happy to compete and be close and execute at this level is damn pretty dumb.

Getting Oshie back will help the PP in time but time for any excuse in any area within their game wears thin. Deal with it. They have enough pieces to get the job done and they haven't executed remotely well enough. I could get being happy with some elements of their game but to believe this general level is adequate suggests they're just going through the motions at this point. It's selling themselves short. Just getting through the days of the grind without any greater standard likely to lead to playoff success is a shame. You can bet if the Islanders were more of a threat in the standings and the playoffs were in any jeopardy they would be more serious in their self-assessment. As-is they can afford to slack off and collectively seem content doing so. It's bound to cost them because they're just not that great.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Keeps playing like what? 0/5 on the PP? I was there last night, cannot really remember a meaningful scoring chance the entire game.

Based on what you are saying, Lavi likes most of what he sees. That’s concerning.

Hit a couple posts dead on, had several high quality chances on the 5-3, they should have scored a couple last night. I think its equal parts bad luck and stretches of bad play the last month or so.

Talk of firing the coaching staff is knee jerk. Werent we just praising hm and talking of him getting Jack Adams consideration just a month or 2 ago?

Really good time to be bad right now.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Hit a couple posts dead on, had several high quality chances on the 5-3, they should have scored a couple last night. I think its equal parts bad luck and stretches of bad play the last month or so.

Talk of firing the coaching staff is knee jerk. Werent we just praising hm and talking of him getting Jack Adams consideration just a month or 2 ago?

Really good time to be bad right now.

Right... I remember all those times the Stanley Cup was awarded in January, we have already lost the Cup it seems. I have also clearly forgotten that one time we somehow won the Cup in June, when the head coach was nearly fired in January. Now is most definitely the perfect time to panic.

But its a message board so this is the place to vent, therefore, carry on. Me, I'm still of the mindset of the esteemed Jim Zorn. Stay medium, my friends!

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
The organization's goal is to be compete for the playoffs, not in the playoffs. They'll ride Ovy and Backstrom to the grind and be happy about it as long as they get four extra games in the post season. I'm holding out this team will be complete opposite if they make it in and that's being liberally optimistic. If they make it in, it's because of the helluva start.
Yeah agree

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I’m not quite there yet. It would take a massive tank for that to happen. That being said, they are going to get thumped in the first round so not sure it’s worth caring either way.

Yeah pretty much. Obviously i want the team to make the playoffs but as you say, if there´s a first round exit im not sure i see the point. Would be really cool to get some really high-end top 10 level talent but i don´t want the Caps to lose that much. But maybe it´s better than being in limbo?

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Yeah if I am the Caps and down two men for 2 minutes I would love for their best chances to be tough angle one timers. Horrific setup.

I see your point of course but i think they realized that the only way to score on Lehner was to get him to move laterally, so i see the thought process behind it. but still looked awful

Reactions: Neil Racki
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad