GDT: Vegas @ San Jose Game 2: Quality GDT edition (7:30pm PT | NBCSCA, NBCSN, Rogers Sportsnet One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
full

full

full
full

full

Musical accompaniment

full

0B-zBWOloMEf06hxIztS8sUK6pI=.gif

Go team!!

Last edited:

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
:D Love it Nem

Didn’t SNOG for game 1 as I had a bad feeling but did not want to predict a loss. Sharks blew all my negativity away (sounds like a trap :skeptic:)...

Sharks 6 (Kane, Hertl x2, Cap, Bancer and Cooch)
Vegas 3 (Stone, Other Other Karlsson, Theodore)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
In making this GDT I learned that Vegas had not one, but two failed entries into the Roller Hockey League. That's a pretty big accomplishment in my books. And it makes me wish I had bothered to buy a Vancouver Voodoo jersey the one time I went to an RHL game in the 90s (my grandma won tickets at bingo. :laugh:)

They also once had a minor pro team called the "Las Vegas Ice Dice" for which I couldn't find a logo.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
In making this GDT I learned that Vegas had not one, but two failed entries into the Roller Hockey League. That's a pretty big accomplishment in my books. And it makes me wish I had bothered to buy a Vancouver Voodoo jersey the one time I went to an RHL game in the 90s (my grandma won tickets at bingo. :laugh:)

They also once had a minor pro team called the "Las Vegas Ice Dice" for which I couldn't find a logo.

I had seen the Vancouver Voodoo logo in the program and didn't think much of it until I went to a Rhinos game when they played and it was Sweet. Also from that league in the program the I think the city was Montreal the Roadrunners logo looked slick in the program.

Still have a Rhinos jersey and cap.

Thumbs up on the GDT

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I had seen the Vancouver Voodoo logo in the program and didn't think much of it until I went to a Rhinos game when they played and it was Sweet. Also from that league in the program the I think the city was Montreal the Roadrunners logo looked slick in the program.

Still have a Rhinos jersey and cap.

When I was grabbing the logos for this I saw that there was a team called the "Long Island Jawz" (yes, with the "z") that had the most StreetSharks logo possible.

That whole league is gloriously 90s, right down to the fact that sportslogos.net's archive of their logos are badly blown-up gifs instead of more "proper" file formats.

1445.gif

Seriously
SportsLogos.Net - RHI Logos - Roller Hockey International Logos - The News and History of Sports Logos and Uniforms

There was a team called the Calgary Rad'z. WITH THE APOSTROPHE. Or the Buffalo Wings, but the logo was a pterodactyl. Or the Toronto Planets, with quite possibly the least creative "logo" in existence. Or the fact that the Las Vegas Coyotes actually were the Oklahoma Coyotes reactivated after a 3-year dormancy, and in that time they somehow decided to keep exactly the same logo just with the location name changed, but also somehow inexplicably degraded in quality to the point that the "coyote" started to look like a rat.

Now I want some RHI merch.

Last edited:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

This GDT was brought to you by our sponsor

999999-72799768331.jpg

because I found a bag of them left over from christmas when I was cleaning up my snacks bin (there's a long story behind this concep that I don't want to get into) this afternoon and it's what I was munching on while I worked.

What? No mention of the great Charleston Chew?

225px-Richard_Nixon%27s_Head.jpg

AROO!!!

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
When I was grabbing the logos for this I saw that there was a team called the "Long Island Jawz" (yes, with the "z") that had the most StreetSharks logo possible.

That whole league is gloriously 90s, right down to the fact that sportslogos.net's archive of their logos are badly blown-up gifs instead of more "proper" file formats.

Now I want some RHI merch.
We used to go to all the Rhinos games to get our fix in the NHL offseason. Got to play pickup with some of them at the old Bladium a couple times when the RHI first started. Even went to one of their open tryouts where we got play full check. Very eye opening on just how exhausting full check is. Forever ago a roller team I played on used the RHI San Diego Barracuda jerseys. Kinda cool black and purple(?). Still have mine somewhere. I think we used Purple numbers though instead of this ridiculous green.
sd96gr.jpg

Reactions: Phu

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What? No mention of the great Charleston Chew?

225px-Richard_Nixon%27s_Head.jpg

AROO!!!

:laugh: I was planning on getting one after I broke into peoples' houses to wreck up the place.

(for serious though, it's been a while since I've had a Charleston Chew. It's one of the handful of US candy bars not sold in Canada. Along with Pay Day, I think Baby Ruth, Mr Goodbar, and Whatchamacallit (plus more I can't remember). But in exchange we get several candies and bars that you guys don't that I prefer. also apparently our chocolate quality in standard candy bars is better.

Trying to look it up made me discover that Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles are no longer sold in Canada. Which is insane because I remember eating those all the time as a kid, but now that I think about it, I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a box of them in a store. On the other hand, we never had Cocoa Puffs growing up, but I see those all the time now. Also they're terrible.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sometimes, well after the fact, I look at my sense of humor and wonder if it's too weird. :laugh:

EDIT: especially considering that this is all happening while I'm 100% sober and not under any sort of influences. This is actually my brain's default state.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
:laugh: I was planning on getting one after I broke into peoples' houses to wreck up the place.

(for serious though, it's been a while since I've had a Charleston Chew. It's one of the handful of US candy bars not sold in Canada. Along with Pay Day, I think Baby Ruth, Mr Goodbar, and Whatchamacallit (plus more I can't remember). But in exchange we get several candies and bars that you guys don't that I prefer. also apparently our chocolate quality in standard candy bars is better.

Trying to look it up made me discover that Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles are no longer sold in Canada. Which is insane because I remember eating those all the time as a kid, but now that I think about it, I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a box of them in a store. On the other hand, we never had Cocoa Puffs growing up, but I see those all the time now. Also they're terrible.

Depends on the bar. I was always a fan of the Hershey Symphony bar, especially with toffee and almonds. It could almost stand up to Cadbury. I wouldn't doubt Canada has better chocolate because you guys don't have to worry about the heat as much.

Whatchamacallit is god-like, but only as a whole. The chocolate is not as much of a factor as the Peanut butter flavor mixed with the caramel chew and rice crunch.

My jam used to be 100 Grands. So good.

I was a boring kid for cereals. My favs were Grape Nuts, Raisin Bran, or Shredded Wheat with a spoonful of Boysenberry jam instead of sugar. I was very regular. Very.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Is it just me or are candy bars not as good as before? Like they taste more chemically or something.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Depends on the bar. I was always a fan of the Hershey Symphony bar, especially with toffee and almonds. It could almost stand up to Cadbury. I wouldn't doubt Canada has better chocolate because you guys don't have to worry about the heat as much.

Whatchamacallit is god-like, but only as a whole. The chocolate is not as much of a factor as the Peanut butter flavor mixed with the caramel chew and rice crunch.

My jam used to be 100 Grands. So good.

I was a boring kid for cereals. My favs were Grape Nuts, Raisin Bran, or Shredded Wheat with a spoonful of Boysenberry jam instead of sugar. I was very regular. Very.

:laugh:

My go-to baseline chocolate bar is usually a plain milk chocolate Lindt bar. For other candy bars it's usually either eat-more (chewy chocolatey dark toffee jammed with chopped peanuts. No chocolate coating) or Wunderbar (It's everything good about butterfinger, but loaded with caramel. Plus the peanut stuff doesn't stick to your teeth like it does with butterfinger/crispy crunch). With occasional dalliances with Crunchie (a hard/crispy sponge toffee coated in chocolate). Also occasionally like Skor bars if I can freeze them first.

my ceral picks now are usually boring. Still have a soft spot for Captain Crunch. For a couple years there was Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Crisp, but that's vanished and Honey Bunches of Oats just isn't the same thing. Brown Sugar frosted mini-wheats are good too. The one thing I got used to during a week in San Jose when I didn't want to eat out every morning was Raisin Bran that had granola clusters in it. We don't have that here and it bothers me. :laugh: Also like Chocolate Chex. My Oma actually likes to use chocolate chex as a snack by pouring fruit cocktail (with the juice/syrup and everything over it) so at least when I go visit her I've got cereal for breakfast. I can't wrap my head around the snack though, don't like fruit and chocolate as a combo. The different types of sweet at the same time don't agree with my tastebuds.

But most of the time if I have the patience to actually make it I'll go with a bowl of oatmeal (steel-cut) toasted in the pot before adding mostly milk (instead of water) and then finishing it with a bit of maple syrup and brown sugar (ok, demerera sugar technically...). Soooo good. Makes me laugh at how I used to eat the Quaker instant packets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad