Vegas purchases AHL San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Blues were kicking the tires in Indianapolis in 2017. They couldn't convince the Indy Fuel ownership to do what Colorado Eagles ended up doing: paying to join the AHL, paying the ECHL exit fee, upgrading the facility and infrastructure to meet AHL standards, with almost no help from the parent team. They apparently told the Blues to get lost so quickly that the Blues shifted all of their efforts to trying the same thing with Lamar Hunt Jr. in Kansas City. That was only a few years ago, I can't imagine that much has changed.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Of the entire Blues cup winning roster, Chicago Wolves alumni were a minority of the roster. Only a handful of players like Binnington, Dunn, and Barbashyov spent a respectable amount of time in Rosemont. Parayko (half a season after finishing college) and most of the claimed alumni ever played less than a full season total for the Wolves. Most of the big names on the cup winning roster were free agent and trade acquisitions, and most of the younger players spent much more time in San Antonio than Chicago. Not nearly enough to repair the damage with most of the comments and potshots that were called a few years ago. It was a bad marriage that ended badly.

But unless St. Louis manages to find an owner willing to sell their AHL franchise, which Vegas showed is incredibly unlikely, they won't have much of a choice. They'll both need to swallow their pride.
Golden Knights purchase AHL franchise, Wolves owner confident team will find new NHL partnership
Now the Wolves must find another NHL franchise to partner with. They could go back to the St. Louis Blues, whose AHL affiliate is San Antonio, but Levin said he has no interest in rekindling that relationship
The ideal partners for the wolves are running out other than the blues the only other contracts that are up are Hershey/Washington and maybe Springfield/Florida both are incredibly unlikely not to renew.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Well, that settles it, then. How could anyone question the validity of a Tweet describing the STL Blues' tire kicking activities from "the recognized authority on LA Kings prospects"? :whatever:
He probably think's Sin Bin Fuel is a verified source instead of a account of a high school age beat writer.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
To be fair guys, John Hoven is pretty connected (also a member of the PHWA). I get the skepticism being that its coming from a LA Kings beat writer but I wouldn't immediately just toss it off either. We all know the difficulties surrounding entrance as an AHL Club, the ECHL exit fee, etc but given the last time Chicago and the Blues partnered maybe going this route is more preferable and worth it.

Just sayin', where's there's smoke doesn't always mean its a raging fire but still worth attending to.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
To be fair guys, John Hoven is pretty connected (also a member of the PHWA). I get the skepticism being that its coming from a LA Kings beat writer but I wouldn't immediately just toss it off either. We all know the difficulties surrounding entrance as an AHL Club, the ECHL exit fee, etc but given the last time Chicago and the Blues partnered maybe going this route is more preferable and worth it.

Just sayin', where's there's smoke doesn't always mean its a raging fire but still worth attending to.

Maybe, but which franchise they gonna buy? Springfield? Levin owns the Wolves as a personal passion and has significant money, so much that he had been mentioned in rumours as NHL team purchaser several times over the years. Minnesota gonna sell?

Problem is with all these rumours being put out there is this ain't Europe where teams go up and down as part of relegation. Each league is a closed league, like a country club. Members only. No guests allowed, and there are only 32 memberships and all of them are filled.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Blues were kicking the tires in Indianapolis in 2017. They couldn't convince the Indy Fuel ownership to do what Colorado Eagles ended up doing: paying to join the AHL, paying the ECHL exit fee, upgrading the facility and infrastructure to meet AHL standards, with almost no help from the parent team. They apparently told the Blues to get lost so quickly that the Blues shifted all of their efforts to trying the same thing with Lamar Hunt Jr. in Kansas City. That was only a few years ago, I can't imagine that much has changed.
A lot has changed for the Blues. They may be more willing and able to help with things they weren’t last time.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
A lot has changed for the Blues. They may be more willing and able to help with things they weren’t last time.

Not sure what you're referring to, there haven't been too many changes for the Blues. Their prospect development strategy hasn't changed, there haven't been many changes within the organization. They had two opportunities to buy AHL franchises, and they let both of them by the wayside. They were perfectly happy to keep the kids on the farm in San Antonio until Vegas pulled the rug out from under them. I actually can't even think of any indicators showing them changing their attitude towards the prospect development path at all.

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
Was there an article somewhere or a link telling us "Why did they sell the Rampage?"
An average of 5938 wasn't enough to make money I guess?

Last edited:

ForestCity9

Feb 9, 2020
I don't know if this article means anything - Commentary: Without AHL affiliate, could Blues' eyes be on Kansas City?

It points out that St Louis may have more money after their Cup win.

Something else I haven't seen anyone ask. It seems clear that the Wolves and the Blues would be the most obvious match, but neither the Blues or the Wolves appear eager to get back together. But if I recall correctly, the Blues don't technically need an affiliate; they went without one before. It's the Wolves that need an affiliate. What's to stop the Blues from playing hardball and saying "This time, you play our prospects, you follow our system, or else?" And if the Blues do this, what's to stop Don Levin from thinking, "If I can't run the Wolves I want to run them, why do this?" and just getting out? He's never directly said he's lost money every year, but he's made it pretty clear he does this for pleasure, and if he can't do it the way he wants, I'd see his point.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I don't know if this article means anything - Commentary: Without AHL affiliate, could Blues' eyes be on Kansas City?

Something else I haven't seen anyone ask. It seems clear that the Wolves and the Blues would be the most obvious match, but neither the Blues or the Wolves appear eager to get back together. But if I recall correctly, the Blues don't technically need an affiliate; they went without one before. It's the Wolves that need an affiliate. What's to stop the Blues from playing hardball and saying "This time, you play our prospects, you follow our system, or else?" And if the Blues do this, what's to stop Don Levin from thinking, "If I can't run the Wolves I want to run them, why do this?" and just getting out? He's never directly said he's lost money every year, but he's made it pretty clear he does this for pleasure, and if he can't do it the way he wants, I'd see his point.
The only leverage Levin can have is if a NHL team other than STL came to him and said they would like to have their prospects in Rosemont otherwise it’s almost certainly going to be the blues affiliated with the wolves again. There is no perfect solution even if STL buys a team like Syracuse or Springfield with a offer they can’t refuse.Florida or Tampa probably won’t be to thrilled with having their prospects in another time zone.

Last edited:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

The Blues do not technically need an affiliate but then where will all their prospects and depth players go? ECHL has a salary cap and also the NHL CBA and contracts may not provide for sending them to the ECHL.

Technically the Wolves do NOT need an affiliate. They may have difficulty in getting enough players as some players may see signing as insulting to the NHL and they may be blackballed.

Vancouver may come into play as well. Calling up their players tot he west coast from Utica cannot be easy. I know Utica has been passionate about their hockey. Florida may want to affiliate with the Wolves so Tallon can annoy the Blackhawks.

The only leverage Levin can have is if a NHL team other than STL came to him and said they would like to have their prospects in Rosemont otherwise it’s almost certainly going to be the blues affiliated with the wolves again. There is no perfect solution even if STL buys a team like Syracuse or Springfield with a offer they can’t refuse.Florida or Tampa probably won’t be to thrilled with having their prospects in another time zone.

Getting to the east coast from Chicago is very easy, probably almost as easy as from Springfield or Syracuse.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

I'd be down for Kansas City to get an AHL team. Think Calgary is the only team likely to sell.

I don't even know who wants to affiliate with Chicago, nobody seems to be a good fit.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Hugely speculative and none of it based on evidence. The Blues tried to get Kansas City/Lamar Hunt Jr. to pay their own way into the AHL after they left the Wolves, and were told to kick dirt. They're not overtly flush with cash from the Stanley Cup win.

What's to stop the Blues from playing hardball? They need an AHL affiliate. They need a place to send their prospects to develop. Zero NHL teams will allow another team to share their affiliate, because every other owner, coach, or GM would die before letting another team take away the development time of their own prospects. So, if they need a place for the prospects and there is nowhere else to go, the path is pretty clear. It is the equivalent of being a kid going to a dance. It is a necessity to attend the dance, everyone else already has a date, no one else is going to give up their date, no one else is going to share their date, and the only girl left is the one that puts a Bible your slow dancing bodies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Depending on the player/position (or other circumstances), AHL teams may allow players from other organizations to be on the roster. But never a blanket thing, always a case by case thing.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Not sure what you're referring to, there haven't been too many changes for the Blues. Their prospect development strategy hasn't changed, there haven't been many changes within the organization. They had two opportunities to buy AHL franchises, and they let both of them by the wayside. They were perfectly happy to keep the kids on the farm in San Antonio until Vegas pulled the rug out from under them. I actually can't even think of any indicators showing them changing their attitude towards the prospect development path at all.
The NHL team just experienced a huge financial windfall in winning the Cup. Look at the season ticket situation for a more tangible sign. The financial burden of owning the AHL team or need for defraying some additional costs may not look as onerous. The ownership group has demonstrated a willingness to spend on things like the new practice facility. So, yes I think it’s reasonable to suppose their decision matrix around the AHL options may have broadened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad