Vegas purchases AHL San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues worked out a deal with another NHL team to "switch" affiliations, with the other team moving on to affiliate with Chicago and the Blues taking on the other affiliate.

I can tell you that after having a conversation tonight with a Wolves management team member at the season ticket holder party tonight...I was told that there are a small number of expiring agreements at seasons end ,I asked 7 or 8 and was told not that many and one of them is Her/Wash which is going nowhere...another is obviously chi/vegas...I have a feeling 210 is right and what I said earlier holds true...when it all comes down no one will have seen what is coming.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues worked out a deal with another NHL team to "switch" affiliations, with the other team moving on to affiliate with Chicago and the Blues taking on the other affiliate.
What kind of incentives would be needed for another NHL team to want to do this?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
"There's a sucker born every minute" ... or at least we continue to sign up as HFB members ...
lolipop.gif

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The blues haven't been great ahl owners in the past. The final Icecats and Rivermen years where not as successful as when they where under the ownership of Roy Boe and Bruce Saurs and Anne Griffith .

And that is why I would not want them to be responsible for the AHL Fuel, as unlikely a scenario that would be.

Indianapolis has had some level of hockey for decades uninterrupted and I'm not wanting that to be threatened just for a return to the AHL since the 1950s. Besides, you look at San Antonio's records as a Blues affiliate and... has any AHL team with St. Louis prospered?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And that is why I would not want them to be responsible for the AHL Fuel, as unlikely a scenario that would be.

Indianapolis has had some level of hockey for decades uninterrupted and I'm not wanting that to be threatened just for a return to the AHL since the 1950s. Besides, you look at San Antonio's records as a Blues affiliate and... has any AHL team with St. Louis prospered?
The IceCats, Rivermen, and Wolves typically made the playoffs with the Blues.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes...but is that because of the blues or the affiliate? The Wolves typically make the playoffs no matter who they are affiliated with.
Blues had a major part in that. In some of the earlier years of the affilation, Rattie, Jaskin, and Allen were big contributors. In the last year when they got to the 2nd round with Berube, the Blues provided all the goalies, Dunn, Blais, Barbashev, Paajarvi, etc. In all the years, the Blues provided plenty of AHL vets that were major contributors as well, guys like Butler, Agostino, Megan, etc.

The issue with Chicago just came down to the balance between prospect development and short-term performance.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

The IceCats, Rivermen, and Wolves typically made the playoffs with the Blues.
The blues have been fine when they have been just an affiliate but when they took over ownership of the Icecats and Rivermen. The AHL team’s business relationship’s suffered and fan interest fell off as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Some of those playoff IceCats teams weren't very good. They only made the playoffs some seasons because most of the league did back then.
Sure, but they still had a couple 100+ point years. I'm not saying the Blues have lead their AHL affiliates to championships, just saying for the most part teams have been at a minimum of above average and sometimes pretty good.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The blues have been fine when they have been just an affiliate but when they took over ownership of the Icecats and Rivermen. The AHL team’s business relationship’s suffered and fan interest fell off as well.
That I agree with because our ownership has never had super deep pockets, so those clubs would get limited investment. After the Laurie's sold, we become more of a budget club until more recently, but I don't see current ownership wanting to get involved with owning and operating an AHL club.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Is this entirely down to the rosters, or are there other details that hurt? Are you talking about marketing, etc?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

STL farm team in Charlotte, NC?

the only problem is why would St. Louis be further away in Charlotte, if they don't own a franchise and if their philosophy is to solely be a developmental affiliation as it has been with SSE...WASN'T THAT the sole reason Carolina brought the Checkers from Albany.....it was to establish a hockey presence outside of Raleigh/Greensboro and establish the Carolina market once the Hurricanes arrived.... that doesn't solve the issue, if Charlotte goes away it increases the expense, that's why the modus operandi of getting the affiliate closer to the parent club, it just compounds the issue, imho now you see why the KC Mavericks rebuked all efforts to be promoted as Colorado was, no matter who approves the transfer of affiliate member clubs going forward once Andrews leaves the Presidency/Commisioner's chair

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

STL farm team in Charlotte, NC?

Charlotte is on an island they seem to be doing great but if travel cost’s got to be for a team to be viable there wouldn’t it make sense to look at moving to a place like Utica and keeping the hurricanes affiliation.If Vancouver moves west rather than staying in Charlotte with a team other than the hurricanes.

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Where is the thread where I can discuss with those who observe the AHL closer than I do about the Blues’ likely next move? I’m being chided to ‘wait and see’. What are these threads for if not to compare insights about what the future holds?
It is right here. I'm not sure why people are so upset about speculation. That is the whole purpose of having a site like this. Of course we don't know what is going to happen. Lots of speculation was occurring about who Vegas was going to purchase, and there were people who said there is no way it will be San Antonio. Just because people think there is no way the Blues buy a team doesn't mean the Blues won't buy a team. As you have stated, it is possible they change their mind. Is there anyone anxious to sell? No. Is there someone who would sell under the right circumstances (i.e. enough money)? Maybe - maybe not. Could St Louis force Chicago's hand as was reportedly done to Norfolk? Maybe - maybe not. I think it is fun to speculate - some people apparently don't want any speculating.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Charlotte is on an island they seem to be doing great but if travel cost’s got to be to much wouldn’t it make sense to look at taking over someplace like Utica. If Vancouver moves west rather than staying with Charlotte with a team other than the hurricanes.
Vancouver owns the AHL franchise so if Vancouver moves west Utica is without hockey unless another NHL team that owns an AHL franchise wants to place their AHL team here. The Blues cannot replace the Canucks in Utica because the Blues don't own an AHL franchise.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Charlotte is on an island they seem to be doing great but if travel cost’s got to be to much wouldn’t it make sense to look at taking over someplace like Utica. If Vancouver moves west rather than staying with Charlotte with a team other than the hurricanes.
no, because it likely has to do with Esche's piece of the Comets, as he was actively looking to get into ownership at that point in time, Centrum, and who else out East is in trouble..... Rochester's owned outright AS IS Hartford, Bridgeport. Syracuse's not going anywhere, and Dolgon has said the Crunch are not available.... Binghamton is like Hartford and Bridgeport. Mitchell has gone through that with the Rangers and the Senators when they left for Belleville. Springfield's in the same position as they were when the Falcons went to Tucson, and you're not pulling another relocation on Florida in that relationship without penalty. Providence has a deal through 2029, so good luck even suggesting that is a plausible option.....

it's highly unlikely now Vancouver will ever go West or opt out, otherwise wouldn't they have done so 7+ years ago, once they acquired the Blues affiliate franchise... if you're having difficulty fitting more than the current 8 teams since 2015/16, even after realigning Texas and the current Rampage franchise to add Tucson and Colorado, and the format of that division as how it is aligned....
why would Vancouver go west or opt out if there's no open slot to place them in, and from all indications the VAN/UTI is successful.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No. Most likely they would buy Charlotte from Carolina and relocate the team to the Midwest (KC, Peoria, or in St. Louis).
I don't see Blues ownership purchasing a club. I would've thought we would've heard about a bidding war of sorts for San Antonio if there were interested in purchasing a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad