Sportsnet: Vegas in Need of a Goalie with Fleury on IR?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Too bad McIdiot burned his bridge with Ottawa. Hammond would bring a noticeable name and publicity to Vegas, along with decent enough skills to make games entertaining for the team.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
OMG, you're right. If the Sens could convince 47 year old former Italian league netminder Harald Egger to come out of retirement, they could dump Anderson/Condon for Hammond/Egger. Best idea I've read all week.
Ham and Eggers! Well played!

heenan.png

Reactions: Zen Arcade

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, this makes total sense. He looked at Calvin Pickard and arrived at the conclusion that he was just too damn good.

Strangely, the rest of the NHL all thought he was wrong and allowed Pickard to clear waivers, but you're right, at the root of things, this deal had to be made because Pickard was just too damn good and the team was going to pile up wins with him in net, so McPhee moved him.

Nope. Just like the other fella, you're taking my post way out of context and completely missing the point.

McPhee is trying to tank.

Other than Fluery, Pickard was the only goaltender in the Vegas system with any sort of NHL experience.

Pickard>Subban and it's not even close. Pickard is just 24 years old with three years NHL experience, 86 games under his belt with a .914 SV% and 2.77 GAA which is pretty good considering the terrible Avalanche teams he's played on. Subban is widely thought of as being not good enough for the NHL and nearly out of chances. At least a half dozen better options than both Pickard and Subban were passed over in the expansion draft leaving the Knights incredibly thin in net because McPhee just had to have 27 defencemen on his roster.

Instead of acquiring any sort of depth in net, be it from the expansion draft or trade, McPhee opted for virtually no NHL experience and a unreliable former star who (conveniently for McPhee's tank job) just suffered his 3rd concussion in less than two years.

Vegas Goalies:

Fluery - An aging goalie on the decline with a recent history of multiple concussions.
Subban - 3 NHL games
Lagace - No NHL experience
Dansk -No NHL experience

How an NHL GM can way over stock their blueline while leaving their crease almost entirely bare makes no sense. Unless that GM is trying to tank, which is something George McPhee has a history of doing. Nearly three years ago, while on a TSN panel of the trade deadline coverage, Ron Wilson admitted that a former GM had asked him to deliberately tank and to try and do so without the players knowing. Wilson never actually came out and said it was McPhee but he did say it was after he had just been to the finals. The only team Wilson ever took to the finals? George McPhee's Washington Capitals.

I stand by my original statement. A thinly veiled attempt at tanking by George McPhee.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Pickard>Subban and it's not even close. Pickard is just 24 years old with three years NHL experience, 86 games under his belt with a .914 SV% and 2.77 GAA which is pretty good considering the terrible Avalanche teams he's played on. Subban is widely thought of as being not good enough for the NHL and nearly out of chances. At least a half dozen better options than both Pickard and Subban were passed over in the expansion draft leaving the Knights incredibly thin in net because McPhee just had to have 27 defencemen on his roster.

Instead of acquiring any sort of depth in net, be it from the expansion draft or trade, McPhee opted for virtually no NHL experience and a unreliable former star who (conveniently for McPhee's tank job) just suffered his 3rd concussion in less than two years.

How an NHL GM can way over stock their blueline while leaving their crease almost entirely bare makes no sense.

I'm sure every other team would be happy to have Pickard in the AHL for emergencies, but McPhee traded Pickard for peanuts while saying Subban isn't ready.

McPhee isn't the problem, obviously nothing has changed since his Erat masturbation and never will be. The problem is the one who keeps McPhee in his job.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To me the moves Vegas has made are showing to be as blatant as the Sabres attempts to purposely fail in hopes of a high pick. I, for one hope they finish in the bottom and then lost out on the top 3 picks, because that purposeful losing is pathetic. They drafted 1000 defenceman and none of them are anything special, besides maybe Theadore, traded a competent goalie with nothing in the way of help in case of injuries, and are playing someone that they admitted isn't ready for the NHL and didn't even beat out Khudobin for backup in Boston. James Neal is one of the few good players they picked, and obviously he will be dealt by the deadline. It will probably be musical chairs in net for the rest of the season.

They could have drafted a much better team, and still had draft picks stockpiled, because they drafted 30 players and only 23 make the big club, which is at least 7 players to stock pile their team with picks. Instead they drafted a very weak blue line, and are now probably having trouble making any moves with any of them, because other teams have better options at D.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
To me the moves Vegas has made are showing to be as blatant as the Sabres attempts to purposely fail in hopes of a high pick. I, for one hope they finish in the bottom and then lost out on the top 3 picks, because that purposeful losing is pathetic. They drafted 1000 defenceman and none of them are anything special, besides maybe Theadore, traded a competent goalie with nothing in the way of help in case of injuries, and are playing someone that they admitted isn't ready for the NHL and didn't even beat out Khudobin for backup in Boston. James Neal is one of the few good players they picked, and obviously he will be dealt by the deadline. It will probably be musical chairs in net for the rest of the season.

They could have drafted a much better team, and still had draft picks stockpiled, because they drafted 30 players and only 23 make the big club, which is at least 7 players to stock pile their team with picks. Instead they drafted a very weak blue line, and are now probably having trouble making any moves with any of them, because other teams have better options at D.

4-1 and Subban who was claimed off waivers just got a SO

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Knights will try out their goalies and hope one emerges. I doubt they do a single purpose trade to get a starter. If they can rid themselves of some salary it would make more sense.

This.
The roster is already overcrowded with waiver-eligible players. Gallant has them playing a defense-first system, so they can just put whichever goalie in net for now and hope Fleury is back soon enough.

Subban did pretty good tonight and has probably earned another start. I don't think there's going to be a trade soon - especially a panicked one.

Why would there be? We need to move out NHL players, not bring them in. The injury to Fleury is giving us a chance to get a good look at Subban in NHL game situations. Wins/losses are insignificant this season, but evaluation is.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Easy question. A resounding YES. Subban looked good last night, but if Fleury is out for a decent amount of times they need a more experienced goal-tender. Mcphee should call Toronto back, and we can trade them Curtis, for one of their RHD :) Though I am unsure at the moment who we would be looking at taking

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

That pickard trade looks even weirder now.
What does the Pickard trade have to do with Fleury getting hurt? Was McPhee supposed to know that would happen?

Better off keeping Pickard.
Not really. Pickard is a terrible goalie.

It makes perfect sense to me. A thinly veiled attempt at tanking by George Mcphee in my opinion.

McPhee passes on guys like Raanta, Mrazek and Grubauer, ultimately deciding on Fluery and Pickard as his goaltending tandem. Maybe he came to the conclusion that the duo of Fleury/Pickard would win too many games so he dumped Pickard for Subban.
While I won't dispute he's blatantly tanking, dumping a shitty goalie in Pickard is hardly evidence of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad