GDT: Vegas Golden Knights @ Toronto Maple Leafs 7:00pm SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Leafs Record (8-5-3) keep winning

Projected Leafs Lineup:

Be nice to have Hyman back. Looking like the weekend sometime. Rielly will be in.

Vegas Record (9-5-2) about right

Projected Vegas Lineup:

This was at least their last game lineup. Correct if wrong. They're just a hard working team... no guy is scary but Stone... and Fleury can steal games.

When the Toronto Maple Leafs host the Vegas Golden Knights Thursday night, it will be their 11th home game of the young season.

But the home cooking will end soon. After the Leafs play the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday night at home, eight of their next nine games will be on the road, where they are 3-3-0.

Toronto improved its home record to 5-2-3 Tuesday with a 3-1 victory over the Los Angeles Kings.

Against the Maple Leafs, the Golden Knights will be playing their second game of a four-game trip after starting it with a 2-1 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday.
Reilly Smith scored both goals.

On Tuesday, the Maple Leafs welcomed the return of center and captain John Tavares, who missed seven games with a broken finger. He did not score a point in 18 minutes against the Kings; he missed an open goal when he flipped his shot over the net.

"Physically I felt pretty good," Tavares said. "Certainly, I can play a lot better, but good to get back in it. It was a tight hockey game and just great we came through at the end."

The Maple Leafs have won two in a row after losing four of their five previous games. The game Tuesday was hardly a masterpiece, as they needed two goals 30 seconds apart in the third period to put away the struggling Kings. Yet Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock referred to the game as "beautiful."

"We need to go through that," Babcock explained. "We need to figure out who we are and the harder the game is, the better it is for the team. Now, would you like to win by a touchdown and everyone relax and all that? Yeah, but we're not getting anywhere like that. This is important to do. ... We had to grind. It's good for us."

On the injury front, Babcock said he did not know if right winger Zach Hyman would be able to make his season debut Thursday after recovering from knee surgery.

Maple Leafs defenseman Morgan Rielly, who led the team with more than 24 minutes of ice time on Tuesday, did not practice on Wednesday.

The Golden Knights' win in Columbus came after two straight losses in which they wasted two-goal leads.

Vegas defenseman Deryk Engelland, 37, who made a significant turnover in the loss to the Winnipeg Jets on Saturday, was a healthy scratch against the Blue Jackets with Nicolas Hague playing in his place.

"(Hague) deserves a chance to play, and we're trying some different options," Golden Knights coach Gerard Gallant said. "It's tough. You've got to make tough decisions, and the kid came in and played a real good game."
But Wednesday, the team announced that Hague and center Nicolas Roy had been assigned to the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League.

Vegas goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, who did not play Saturday because he had the flu, returned Tuesday and stopped 29 shots to earn his ninth win of the season.

Opposing teams have had some success lately with their forechecking against the Golden Knights.

"Our M.O. the last few years has been getting the puck out of the zone really quickly, and we haven't been doing that," Vegas defenseman Nate Schmidt said. "There's times when they come in with one forward and they keep the puck in the zone. That just can't happen."

--Field Level Media

Leafs are going to have to put in an effort tonight. Vegas will be, so the 5 minutes of play to take a game away isn't probably going to work.

Go Leafs Go

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Vegas has a good lineup. Intrigued by Hague, I was a big fan of his in his draft year... here is hoping we made the right choice drafting Liljegren!

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It'll be interesting if they approach this game the same as they did the Kings game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Please be a motivated 60m effort. Please make Leafs games what not to do instructionals for hockey dad's and stop being a grind to watch. Dying for a pulse here! Show us some freaking life tonight boys!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It is odd that we can look up to a team in their third year and hope that we can have what they have.
We do have what they have. We have more.

Also, how many years they have been in the league is irrelevant. It's not our fault Vegas had the most favourable expansion ever and teams lined up to hand over quality players for no reason as they got placed in the weakest division in the league.

Can you even imagine what the narrative around these boards would have been if it was the Leafs losing the way Vegas did last year? You think people would consider the quality of the call if the Leafs gave up 4 consecutive PP goals late in the 3rd period to lose their series in the 1st round?

"mentally weak"
"no toughness"
"chokers"
"1st round exit"
"Just need to get 'er done"
"no excuses"

You've all got it in your heads that the Leafs are this or that, and the past has damaged you so much, so it takes the tiniest falter to send half this board off the deep end, and pretty much nothing the Leafs do can bring you back until they basically win the cup.

This is not the past. Stop overreacting over the natural progression of a team and the normal struggles through adversity that every team goes through (that in the end, makes them stronger).

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Let's go leafs! My roommate is a golden knights fan so this should be a good game.

Let's make it our first 3 game win streak of the season

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We do have what they have. We have more.

Also, how many years they have been in the league is irrelevant. It's not our fault Vegas had the most favourable expansion ever and teams lined up to hand over quality players for no reason as they got placed in the weakest division in the league.

Can you even imagine what the narrative around these boards would have been if it was the Leafs losing the way Vegas did last year? You think people would consider the quality of the call if the Leafs gave up 4 consecutive PP goals late in the 3rd period to lose their series in the 1st round?

"mentally weak"
"no toughness"
"chokers"
"1st round exit"
"Just need to get 'er done"
"no excuses"

You've all got it in your heads that the Leafs are this or that, and the past has damaged you so much, so it takes the tiniest falter to send half this board off the deep end, and pretty much nothing the Leafs do can bring you back until they basically win the cup.

This is not the past. Stop overreacting over the natural progression of a team and the normal struggles through adversity that every team goes through (that in the end, makes them stronger).

I was thinking more along the lines of the excitement and entertainment.

Winning a Cup is completely irrelevant to me.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It'll be interesting if they approach this game the same as they did the Kings game.

Yeah the coach said that game was beautiful so hopefully that continues. ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of the excitement and entertainment.

Winning a Cup is completely irrelevant to me.

I think I get what you're saying but "completely irrelevant"? Really?

Reactions: kb

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Looks like Petan against Reaves.

I'll take that trade-off.

Or will it be Timashov?

I'll take that one as well.

Now as for as the regulars, be nice to see the top 3 lines play a solid game.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah the coach said that game was beautiful so hopefully that continues. ;)

I think I get what you're saying but "completely irrelevant"? Really?
As long as they win, they can play however they like on Thursdays.
I watch the game in a bar, don't pay as close attention as I would live or at home.

Any coach would love the game they played the other night.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
As long as they win, they can play however they like on Thursdays.
I watch the game in a bar, don't pay as close attention as I would live or at home.

Any coach would love the game they played the other night.

Oh, I don't know about that. Maybe if they were playing a good team but against LA, that was far from being an impressive performance. Playing at home against one of the worst teams in the league I would definitely hope for much better.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Oh, I don't know about that. Maybe if they were playing a good team but against LA, that was far from being an impressive performance. Playing at home against one of the worst teams in the league I would definitely hope for much better.
We aren't privy to what Babcock tasked them with in that game. Seemed like LA had very few quality scoring chances, Leafs seemed to find themselves on the right side of the puck more often than not. I'm guessing he doesn't see this team as being very successful winning in a more exciting manner.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We aren't privy to what Babcock tasked them with in that game. Seemed like LA had very few quality scoring chances, Leafs seemed to find themselves on the right side of the puck more often than not. I'm guessing he doesn't see this team as being very successful winning in a more exciting manner.

I would hope that Babcock tasked them with winning the game. We did manage to do that but considering how close it was, calling it beautiful seems pretty ridiculous to me.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
n add about 1.5 hits per game to the lineup. If you want to match a Tampa or Boston physically, all you really have to do is swap Timashov or Shore for Agostino.

This lineup may be soft to the heavy hitters in the league (Washington, Vegas, etc.) but in out division we're an average team physically.

Don't let the score fool you either, the Leafs should have had more goals as well, just some bad luck and whiffed pucks and missed nets. The chances were there.

What I liked is that they showed they can be defensive when needed, and grind out a win (albeit vs a bottom feeder).

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Weird that Shore has become a staple in the lineup... He's 60% on the draws so far which is nice but he has by far the worst stats and underlying numbers out of any of the 4th line options (Spezza/Petan/Timashov/Moore if he stays there).

It's also not like he adds "intangebles" that the other guys couldn't provide.

Reactions: Magic Man

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You'll never find anything exciting or entertaining if you go in with a pessimistic attitude.

What a ridiculous statement. Not sure why you're on a hockey board.

Come on, the Leafs have been boring to watch the last year or so and the game day atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired. I typically go to 3 or 4 games per year and I won’t go back to Toronto to watch them. Going to watch a Leafs game in Vegas should be bucket list for every Leafs fan.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
was that the plan, for the stars to wait for the last 10 minutes of the game to perform? Glad I didn't pay to watch that display.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
We surprisingly have a 3-1 record all-time against them. 2-0 at home. I remember the first home game we got lucky and the second one was a boring type Kings from Monday game (which I don't care about, I'd rather win than be entertained).

Would love to sweep the week, but know it's also asking a lot to go 5-0 so expecting 4-1 isn't a problem. I think the loss could come here or at Chicago, but don't think we can afford both with that awful road trip looming.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I would hope that Babcock tasked them with winning the game. We did manage to do that but considering how close it was, calling it beautiful seems pretty ridiculous to me.
I doubt he was just looking at the one game. His criteria for success is probably a lot different from mine and yours.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
was that the plan, for the stars to wait for the last 10 minutes of the game to perform? Glad I didn't pay to watch that display.
I doubt that was the plan but agreed, wish I would have dumped that game.
Take the good with the bad, been to games where the price seemed to be exceptional value.

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad