GDT: Vegas Golden Knights @ Toronto Maple Leafs 7:00pm SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Hope they show some compete tonight, been lacking for the most part.

If they come out hungry for a win they should take this one.

Reactions: MyBudJT

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Just win. But play good in the playoffs...and win.

And Nylander dont do anything to hasty but do it fast and accurate, or bench for u!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well they are currently pacing at 97 points which would be a playoff bubble. A win tonight would result in a 101 point pace and a certain playoff berth, while a reg loss would result in a 92 point pace and a playoff miss.

So clearly the season rests upon tonight's game. :sarcasm:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2019-11-7_7-37-19.jpeg

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Come on, the Leafs have been boring to watch the last year or so and the game day atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired.
Doesn't sound like you're much of a fan of hockey or the Leafs then. All teams have issues and adversity, but I've enjoyed watching them.

Maybe you could improve your game day atmosphere by not being miserable and overreacting.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Don't let the score fool you either, the Leafs should have had more goals as well, just some bad luck and whiffed pucks and missed nets. The chances were there.

What I liked is that they showed they can be defensive when needed, and grind out a win (albeit vs a bottom feeder).

Oh I agree that it wasn't all bad, it just fell was short of what I would call a "beautiful" game. I don't want to make too much of this though, what he said sounds ridiculous on the surface but I can sort of get where he's coming from too.

I doubt he was just looking at the one game. His criteria for success is probably a lot different from mine and yours.

I though it was clear that he was looking at that one game.

I would hope the criteria for success is the same for all of us in the long run (just win baby). The criteria for a game being "beautiful" varies though, I think we can all agree on that.

Well they are currently pacing at 97 points which would be a playoff bubble. A win tonight would result in a 101 point pace and a certain playoff berth, while a reg loss would result in a 92 point pace and a playoff miss.

So clearly the season rests upon tonight's game. :sarcasm:

:laugh::laugh::thumbu::thumbu:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Oh I agree that it wasn't all bad, it just fell was short of what I would call a "beautiful" game. I don't want to make too much of this though, what he said sounds ridiculous on the surface but I can sort of get where he's coming from too.

I though it was clear that he was looking at that one game.

I would hope the criteria for success is the same for all of us in the long run (just win baby). The criteria for a game being "beautiful" varies though, I think we can all agree on that.

:laugh::laugh::thumbu::thumbu:

Yeah, depends on what Babcock was referring to I guess, also "beautiful" game is a little over the top for any game :laugh:. Maybe playoff series winning game.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Hoping for a 'beautiful' game ha. That VGK second line looks dangerous, especially 5 years ago. Stone still has it though.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Yeah, depends on what Babcock was referring to I guess, also "beautiful" game is a little over the top for any game :laugh:. Maybe playoff series winning game.
He clarified what he meant in a later interview. He knows it was an ugly way to win and not ideal, but think it was great for the team in the long run. What was "beautiful" was the fact that the team never faltered and kept pushing despite not creating many chances.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
He clarified what he meant in a later interview. He knows it was an ugly way to win and not ideal, but think it was great for the team in the long run. What was "beautiful" was the fact that the team never faltered and kept pushing despite not creating many chances.

That's basically how I took it. "Beautiful" to take a step in the right direction and be able to play a different style of game.

They just need to use that and their skill together consistently.

However, I thought they had some very good chances in that game but missed the net or flubbed the puck.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Madap

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That's basically how I took it. "Beautiful" to take a step in the right direction and be able to play a different style of game.

They just need to use that and their skill together consistently.

However, I thought they had some very good chances in that game but missed the net or flubbed the puck.

I thought he meant that tongue in cheek. Like any win is "beautiful".

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Marincin and Petan just placed on waivers, must mean Hyman is returning. Or else why place them on waivers today if no spots are needed on roster????

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hyman in lineup tonight.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Don't let the score fool you either, the Leafs should have had more goals as well, just some bad luck and whiffed pucks and missed nets. The chances were there.

What I liked is that they showed they can be defensive when needed, and grind out a win (albeit vs a bottom feeder).

The problem with this philosophy is that a better team will eventually gain momentum and eventually score. There were periods of time when LA hemmed us in and yeah no super dangerous chances, but its LA.
If that team was Boston, Caps, Pens, Vegas... its a puck behind Freddy.

To play shutdown D you need horses to bang up the body of the opposing team, wear out and destroy the will to retrieve pucks - but Babs wants us to use sticks...

Its been too far long in Babs tenure as a coach to still be trying to instill a defensive play with kinks to workout.

Its been far too too long that we cant go pure offense start on time and score get up 2 points THEN play defensive systems.

Vegas has speed on the wings and heavy boys in the back. We will see how well this system works VS them.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Marincin and Petan just placed on waivers, must mean Hyman is returning. Or else why place them on waivers today if no spots are needed on roster????

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hyman in lineup tonight.

We don't have the cap space. If Hyman were to be activated, we'd have to send one of Spezza, Timashov or Shore down to make him fit...

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The problem with this philosophy is that a better team will eventually gain momentum and eventually score. There were periods of time when LA hemmed us in and yeah no super dangerous chances, but its LA.

If that team was Boston, Caps, Pens, Vegas... its a puck behind Freddy.

Its been too far long in Babs tenure as a coach to still be trying to instill a defensive play with kinks to workout.

Its been far too too long that we cant go pure offense start on time and score get up 2 points THEN play defensive systems.

Vegas has speed on the wings and heavy boys in the back. We will see how well this system works VS them.

I mean you could be right that better teams would have scored, but you could also be wrong, no one really knows. All we know is it worked that game.

This team has a ton of new players, I think Babs gets a bit of time to try and get them all on the same page (I think he is getting to the end of that "bit of time").

Compete level is another argument and I agree with you, they need to be consistent with this (I think they showed they can do it in the playoffs, they just need to bring it every night).

Agree again, Vegas is a very good test.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We don't have the cap space. If Hyman were to be activated, we'd have to send one of Spezza, Timashov or Shore down to make him fit...

I'm gonna assume Hyman will be back Saturday.

Petan and Marincin off the roster tomorrow. Spezza or Shore waived tomorrow and we can active Hyman saturday

Reactions: MyBudJT

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I mean you could be right that better teams would have scored, but you could also be wrong, no one really knows. All we know is it worked that game.

This team has a ton of new players, I think Babs gets a bit of time to try and get them all on the same page (I think he is getting to the end of that "bit of time").

Compete level is another argument and I agree with you, they need to be consistent with this (I think they showed they can do it in the playoffs, they just need to bring it every night).

Agree again, Vegas is a very good test.

Leta just hope the team listened - kept low scoring chances. Only pull trigger when safe

And then Babs said in the third let er rip and Matthews and Nylander switched from D mode to O mode.

Lets hope for this season LOL

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm gonna assume Hyman will be back Saturday.

Petan and Marincin off the roster tomorrow. Spezza or Shore waived tomorrow and we can active Hyman saturday
Why two today and two tomorrow?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why two today and two tomorrow?

2 today, and 1 tomorrow.

Mainly because we want to keep an extra on the roster tonight just in case shenanigans happen before the game and someone gets hurt in warm up or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->