Prospect Info: Vegas Golden Knights Prospect/Chicago Wolves AHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
John Tavares getting full-court press from Islanders - Sportsnet.ca

Or will VGK's success lure him into a one+ year deal?

I don't know if it's ever been unambiguously stated that we wouldn't hold his rights even beyond next season. I think it's been cloudy on the issue.

Regardless, we could either sign him as we likely could use another talented winger or we could trade his rights to someone who would want the extra year (possibly two) of his play and jump any other team that would rival them to sign him as a UFA.

He's already done everything he could want in the KHL and can make more money by moving now, either with us or someone else.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I don't know if it's ever been unambiguously stated that we wouldn't hold his rights even beyond next season. I think it's been cloudy on the issue.

Regardless, we could either sign him as we likely could use another talented winger or we could trade his rights to someone who would want the extra year (possibly two) of his play and jump any other team that would rival them to sign him as a UFA.

He's already done everything he could want in the KHL and can make more money by moving now, either with us or someone else.

I know there was lots of discussion about it last year, but it all boils down to the fact that there is no "transfer agreement" with the KHL, and because Gusev has yet to play a game in the NHL he will remain property of Vegas indefinitely. All of the over-27-year-old UFA's that have come over from the KHL and picked what team they wanted to play for were guys who were either undrafted (Panarin) or had previously played in the NHL (Radulov, Dadonov). Gusev was drafted by TB and hasn't played in the NHL yet, so his rights remain with the NHL team that owns them, even after he turns 27.

And further to your point, he actually CAN make more money by staying in the KHL right now - if he signs an NHL contract before he turns 27 years old, it'll have to be a standard one-year ELC for $925k with bonuses that could only total an additional $2.85M if he hits them. I can see why he'd rather stay in his home country and make some more money now.

I believe he has one year left on his KHL deal, so I could see two scenarios: 1) signing in Vegas next summer, just before his 27th birthday. It would only be a one-year ELC, but he'd be a full UFA after it was over and could really cash in; 2) play one more year in the KHL and sign with Vegas in summer 2020, in which case he could sign for any amount.

EDIT: Here's a thread from last summer that I chimed in on - Mouser seems to know his stuff around here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/rights-to-unsigned-khl-players-drafted.2371687/

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I know there was lots of discussion about it last year, but it all boils down to the fact that there is no "transfer agreement" with the KHL, and because Gusev has yet to play a game in the NHL he will remain property of Vegas indefinitely. All of the over-27-year-old UFA's that have come over from the KHL and picked what team they wanted to play for were guys who were either undrafted (Panarin) or had previously played in the NHL (Radulov, Dadonov). Gusev was drafted by TB and hasn't played in the NHL yet, so his rights remain with the NHL team that owns them, even after he turns 27.

And further to your point, he actually CAN make more money by staying in the KHL right now - if he signs an NHL contract before he turns 27 years old, it'll have to be a standard one-year ELC for $925k with bonuses that could only total an additional $2.85M if he hits them. I can see why he'd rather stay in his home country and make some more money now.

I believe he has one year left on his KHL deal, so I could see two scenarios: 1) signing in Vegas next summer, just before his 27th birthday. It would only be a one-year ELC, but he'd be a full UFA after it was over and could really cash in; 2) play one more year in the KHL and sign with Vegas in summer 2020, in which case he could sign for any amount.

EDIT: Here's a thread from last summer that I chimed in on - Mouser seems to know his stuff around here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/rights-to-unsigned-khl-players-drafted.2371687/

As was pointed out above, I think he can get a bit more than that, money wise.

But I was more trying to drive at us getting something for it if he ever wanted to come over to the NHL, which he probably does.

If we own his rights (and Shipachov's, if he ever wants to pull a Kovalchuk) whenever he wants to come over, not just this year, then we surely can get at least a second rounder, maybe a first if they're that in need, from some team for such a highly coveted player who could help a team instantly.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
ELC really only applies to 25 and under. Might be able to do something else if 27.

I don't think this is correct, per this link: Waivers & Entry-Level Contracts for Dummies
Players 25 or older as of September 15 of the year in which they sign their first NHL contract do not sign entry-level deals. The exception to the 25 or older rule is for players that were drafted outside of North America. Those players that sign from 25 to 27 are subject to a one-year ELC.

Jan Rutta (Chicago) and Jakub Jerabek (Montreal) both signed last summer as 26/27-year-olds, and both had to do the one-year ELC for $925k.

As was pointed out above, I think he can get a bit more than that, money wise.

But I was more trying to drive at us getting something for it if he ever wanted to come over to the NHL, which he probably does.

If we own his rights (and Shipachov's, if he ever wants to pull a Kovalchuk) whenever he wants to come over, not just this year, then we surely can get at least a second rounder, maybe a first if they're that in need, from some team for such a highly coveted player who could help a team instantly.

Honestly, I don't want a pick for Gusev - I want him to play with Vegas. I think GMGM has some leverage here, due to the team's success - hopefully that will convince Gusev to play here, rather than have him hold some sort of grudge because of the Shippy saga.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think this is correct, per this link: Waivers & Entry-Level Contracts for Dummies

Jan Rutta (Chicago) and Jakub Jerabek (Montreal) both signed last summer as 26/27-year-olds, and both had to do the one-year ELC for $925k.

Honestly, I don't want a pick for Gusev - I want him to play with Vegas. I think GMGM has some leverage here, due to the team's success - hopefully that will convince Gusev to play here, rather than have him hold some sort of grudge because of the Shippy saga.

I don't think signing him would be a bad situation for VGK, either.

I think I've been poorly communicating my point. I'm just glad if he's not a useless asset to us if he doesn't sign this year (if he could be a UFA after this year and we didn't hold his rights)

I just mean that if we hold his rights beyond just this year (for reasons mentioned in the discussion you shared) then he is an actual positive asset for us.

Whether we get Gusev himself, or a good prospect/pick/other player in a trade if he didn't want to play here. VGK would be guaranteed something good out of it, is what I want.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I believe if Nick Suzuki is returned to Owen Sound that he will be named the teams captain. not only that but will be suiting up for team canada at the world juniors. Wrote about it here.

Who Will Be Named The Next Owen Sound Attack Captain?

Great article, Sebastian - and good luck with the new website! Both you and the site just got a new Twitter follower. ;)

I was up in Ontario in March and watched Games 2 and 3 of the Owen Sound vs. London series. Kevin Hancock was the one who seemed like a real team leader to me, so I thought he'd be a favorite to be captain - but I could see them going with Suzuki, especially since he wore the 'A' this past season.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into these Knights players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Dylan Ferguson
Zachary Whitecloud
Oscar Dansk
Tomas Hyka
Maxime Lagace
Philip Holm

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Can you guys give me some insight into these Knights players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Dylan Ferguson
Zachary Whitecloud
Oscar Dansk
Tomas Hyka
Maxime Lagace
Philip Holm
-Ferguson is a goalie prospect that was our fifth string emergency goalie during the whole goalie injury nightmare. He played some of the third when Lagace got shelled by the Oilers. Is goalie prospect, returned to his junior team (Kamloops.)
-Whitecloud didn’t play. Solid college player, highly desired.
-Dansk is third/fourth string goalie. Played when Subban got hurt, was originally above Lagace on the depth chart, but Lagace has apparently surpassed him as exhibited by Maxime’s presence on the bench in the Final.
-Hyka is a solid call-up kind of guy that has a future as a mid/bottom six forward, IMO. Will start next season in the AHL and likely stay there most of the year.
-Lagace is our third string goalie. He’s improved through the season, but seeing him still gives me panic attacks. Goalie coach Prior likes our goalies to play an aggressive game, and Lagace had a lot of times where he got beat way out of the crease. However, I think he can definitely play, just needs time.
-Holm was brought in in a trade to The Couv for Brendan Leipsic, he was immediately sent down, and I know nothing about him.

Last edited:

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Dylan Ferguson
Zachary Whitecloud
Oscar Dansk
Tomas Hyka
Maxime Lagace
Philip Holm

BB has some great notes in the response, but I just wanted to add a few of my own (which might disagree):

- Ferguson is a long-term prospect for sure. I think it's highly likely that he goes back to the WHL next season, then after that he'll have several years of development at the ECHL/AHL level before ever really seeing NHL ice.
- Whitecloud fills a great need - we have very few RHD in our system - at the NHL level, we only have Colin Miller and a 36-year-old Deryk Engelland. I think both Whitecloud and fellow undrafted free agent signee RHD Dylan Coghlan will get every opportunity to develop within the system over the next couple of years. Whitecloud did practice with the team for several months, and got to play in the second-to-last regular season game (and he was +3 in that game!), but I imagine he'll need more time in the AHL to adjust to playing against older players.
- I know it seems like Lagace is higher on the depth chart, but I think Dansk has the brighter NHL future. They're being developed concurrently based on their AHL starts, though Dansk started 2 of the 3 Wolves playoff games. I know it was a small sample, but Lagace did not look great in his brief NHL time, while Dansk was outstanding - it's like the team was winning in spite of Lagace, whereas they were winning BECAUSE of Dansk. Lagace is a Group VI UFA this summer, so I wonder if another team will take a chance on him. But I'm honestly nervous that Dansk could get claimed on waivers when we try to send him to the AHL next season.
- Holm is a curious one: he put up good numbers for Vancouver's AHL affiliate, then took a step back in Chicago (he's the anti-Zac Leslie, who did nothing with the Kings' AHL affiliate then blossomed in Chicago). To be honest, I'm fully expecting Holm to return to Sweden for next season.
- Hyka is a question mark for me: the team seems to have confidence in his abilities, but he's just a bit lost in the numbers game, and since he's still waiver-exempt he's the first one to get sent down. July 1 will be a big day for him: if the team chooses not to sign any UFA wingers (Perron, Neal or outside the organization), then Hyka could be on the opening-day roster. Otherwise, he'll be the first call-up throughout the season. Like BB said, he could have a decent future as a mid-6 winger if he can find good chemistry with the right center - perhaps Cody Glass? ;)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hey guys Brandon selected Erik Brannstrom in the CHL import draft today. With the connection to Brandon KM has I am hoping he plays here next season!

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Hey guys Brandon selected Erik Brannstrom in the CHL import draft today. With the connection to Brandon KM has I am hoping he plays here next season!

Brandon also selected Jiri Patera.

Barrie selected Maksim Zhukov - if he goes there, he would play with Nick Suzuki's younger brother Ryan, who is projected to be a 1st round pick in the NHL Entry Draft next season.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, as players were drafted by NHL team **before** the CHL selected them, they can play in AHL (regardless of age). (Or CHL, or European team.)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Does anyone have any info on Elvenes?

I thought I heard earlier this year that he seemed to take a big step this season and maybe proved himself a steal at 127.

Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad