Prospect Info: Vegas Golden Knights Prospect/Chicago Wolves AHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Max stops 72 of 76 shots, though. Insane! :clap:

it's bittersweet, especially since DanskDanskRevolution is probably 'the guy' for next season and he let in a softie in game 2.

but this one's all sweet:

Erik Brännström cherishes the opportunity to compete with NHL stars

Brännström has decided to leave Sweden this fall to pursue a career in North America. His goal is to play in the NHL as early as next season.

“It will be a challenge. I’m not very old yet, but I want to go there and give it a shot, obviously. NHL is where you want to be, it’s what I’ve been striving for all my life.”

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hacksaw Jack Dugan's Chicago Steel were eliminated by the USD team last night. He led his team with 8 points in 7 games, and is curently tied for the playoff scoring lead.

It's on to college for him now, so no rookie camp in Sep.

and Dylan Coghlan's Americans are down 3-1 now to the Everett Silvertips. They face elimination tonight.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
On the plus side Suzuki got in a lot of pro hockey that one game. It's time for them to join the big club and be Golden Knights black aces.

Wolves 2019-20?

Kolesar Suzuki Elvenes
Rondberg
Jones Leschyshyn
Duke

Bischoff Whitecloud
Coghlan

Ferguson
I'd really prefer if Vegas would start grooming Suzuki for a wing role. His game does not yet have me convinced he can handle center duties in the NHL.

Reactions: derriko

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'd really prefer if Vegas would start grooming Suzuki for a wing role. His game does not yet have me convinced he can handle center duties in the NHL.

easier to move a C to W than vice versa. Owen Sound might lose some players and move him back to C next year as well. He plays a lot like Duchene.

Plus Knights assistant coach McGill coached Suzuki last year so he'll probably have a lot of input in the next 2 years. I got the impression from him that he sees Nick as a C in the NHL.

Coghlan's Tri-City made the series 3-2 last night and on Monday they'll try and push it to a game 7.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I suppose Brannstrom could still play with the Wolves if he's not ready next season?

He'll be 19 in September. He *can* play in AHL (as he was drafted by NHL before any CHL claim).

He can also play in Europe.

VGK braintrust will need to determine a) if he's ready to play in NA, b) if he wants to play in NA. If so, then they can determine (probably based on merit) if he's capable of playing in NHL or needs seasoning in AHL.

He may also have an out in contract that he returned to Europe that than get assigned to AHL.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
in the article I posted a few days ago it was stated in the interview he's coming to NA next season and Kelly McC has already determined that.

WANTS TO PLAY IN THE NHL NEXT SEASON
Brännström has decided to leave Sweden this fall to pursue a career in North America. His goal is to play in the NHL as early as next season.
“It will be a challenge. I’m not very old yet, but I want to go there and give it a shot, obviously. NHL is where you want to be, it’s what I’ve been striving for all my life.”
He could have been playing for Vegas’ farm team Chicago Wolves in the Calder Cup right now, but the chance to get international ice-time with “Tre Kronor” convinced the NHL team he was better off staying in Sweden.

“I had long talks with (assistant general manager) Kelly McCrimmon when I was in Vegas”, Swedish head coach Rikard Grönborg told Elite Prospects. “They thought it was great for Erik to play with us instead of bringing him over right now. I think that’s a healthy way of looking at it. We want to help them get a better product and in exchange we will get them back to play for the national team every now and then. We know that the player’s end goal is to play overseas and we have to help them on their journey. I thought it was very wise of Vegas to let Erik play here. ”
Erik Brännström might be the youngest player on the Swedish roster, but he has earned his keep on the team.
“He has done an incredible job”, Grönborg noted. “He’s a very stubborn kid that hates to lose and has really intriguing skills to go with that. Those are qualities I love, obviously.”

Erik will surprise a lot of people next preseason. :yo:

I'll be putting up some hilights of his WC exhibition and SEL playoffs soon.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That Wolves article made no mention of Leslie, who was one of the better defenders down the stretch. Suzuki & Glass aren't eligible. Whitecloud isn't a lock for the NHL roster and can pass through waivers, and Brannstrom is coming to NA to play for either the Knights or Wolves. Coghlan & Ferguson can go back to juniors, but they should spend a bit of time with the Wolves. I can see Wong being brought back to the Knights rookie tournament as an invite & given another year with Chicago. Kolesar wasn't mentioned either which is strange since he's still a solid power forward prospect IMO.

Obviously Hyka should spend time between Chicago and Vegas as well, as he can still pass through waivers up until a certain amount of NHL games played next season.

There's also Elvenes and Rondberg, although unlikely to be signed & brought over until 2019, they're possibilities if they impress at development camp.

I'm hoping the Knights sign some Europeans. Suomela, Persson or Mäenalanen would be nice. Or maybe Jobst from the NCAA.

Fonteyne, Maksimovich, Burghardt and Keating would be nice invites to development camp as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: HanSolo

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Hyka played great in a top 6 offensive role for the Czech’s in the WC. He was on Necas’s wing (lottery pick by CAR last year) and made a good play for the puck to send the game to OT with like 3 seconds left in regulation. They then went on to win the game, with Hyka getting a good amount of ice in the 3v3.

He’s old for a prospect, but new to NA. I still think he could be a player like Nosek, with more offense.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
That Wolves article made no mention of Leslie, who was one of the better defenders down the stretch. Suzuki & Glass aren't eligible. Whitecloud isn't a lock for the NHL roster and can pass through waivers, and Brannstrom is coming to NA to play for either the Knights or Wolves. Coghlan & Ferguson can go back to juniors, but they should spend a bit of time with the Wolves. I can see Wong being brought back to the Knights rookie tournament as an invite & given another year with Chicago. Kolesar wasn't mentioned either which is strange since he's still a solid power forward prospect IMO.

I see no reason to send Coghlan back for a FIFTH year of Junior - he's 20, let's get his AHL development going.
If Holm gets re-signed, he'll be waiver-eligible next year. I'd almost rather just bring him back and let him be the #7 in Vegas, but I think they're gonna let him walk.
Brannstrom should be in the AHL next year. Let him get adjusted to the smaller NA ice, plus there's still a logjam in the Vegas D and I'd rather have him playing full-time in the AHL than just practicing with the Knights and getting scratched.
It looks like Patera is going to sign, so I'd rather send Ferguson back for one more year of Junior. Even if Lagace walks as a UFA, I'd rather just sign a veteran to backup Dansk in Chicago, if Patera goes to the ECHL team (wherever that may be?).
I know there's going to be a logjam on D at the AHL level too (especially if Reinhart passes through waivers successfully again), but I'd like to see them keep Leslie. He'll be waiver-eligible next year as well - not that I think anyone would claim him - but he could be the extra d-man in Vegas as well.

Vegas 2018-19 defense:
Schmidt - McNabb
Theodore - Engelland
Merrill - Miller
Hunt, Leslie

Chicago 2018-19 defense:
Reinhart - Bischoff
Brannstrom - Whitecloud
Hague - Coghlan

I know the Wolves are independently-run and are trying to win games, but I hope they let us develop our young D. The starting defense at the beginning of the season could be aged: 19, 19, 20, 21, 24, 24

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Patera played professionally in the Czech Republic, so he isn't eligible to play NCAA hockey. I would guess the ECHL for him.

Makes me wonder what the plan would be for him. Unless by pro contract he means a Czech team?

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Leschyshyn plays in the Memorial Cup tournament starting tonight (Regina being the host team gets to play the CHL finalists)

Babula

May 31, 2012
Czech NT fan here. I believe Nosek is in his dream position right in Vegas. Hyka was one the speediest guy for CZE NT in Denmark... I would like to think about the youngsters... Glass, Suzuki, Brannstrom. Is the fourth round first Vegas pull in this draft of 2018 ?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Czech NT fan here. I believe Nosek is in his dream position right in Vegas. Hyka was one the speediest guy for CZE NT in Denmark... I would like to think about the youngsters... Glass, Suzuki, Brannstrom. Is the fourth round first Vegas pull in this draft of 2018 ?

Just a warning, I'm a lot higher on our draft picks than a lot of other posters so this is going to sound like praise from a homer but I honestly think they pulled off a heist at the 2017 draft:
  • Glass is considered a potential 1st line star 2-way forward, somewhat like Scheifele. He has all the tools and vision to be a fantastic playmaker and 30+ goal scorer in the NHL. When he fills in his large 6'2 frame he might be very tough for defenders to handle. ~ An excellent puck mover, he finds teammates with ease and is a huge possession asset(Future Considerations) ~He has a knack for causing breakdowns in opponent’s offense and is a pest on the fore-check (HockeyProspect.com)
  • Suzuki, to me, looks an awful lot like a poor man's Bergeron. I use Duchene as a comparable because I don't want to get flak but he really does resemble Toews-Bergeron to me. He will need to fill out and get stronger though. ~ Has impressive quickness in his feet and an enviable top speed…agile and shifty…deceptive with quick hands (FutureConsideration) ~ Nick is a very creative forward with strong passing ability, but likes to shoot the puck as much as possible (HockeyProspect.com)
  • Brannstrom plays a bit like Toby Enstrom, Shane Gostisbehere or Victor Mete. But he also has a fiery competitiveness and will start a quick transition like PK Subban. His offensive instincts are incredibly high, and his 2 line passing is a thing of beauty. He reads the play so well that every time I watch him he seems to be more confident than the last time I've seen him. His defense keeps getting better. His pinches keep getting better. The only glaring flaw in his game is a weak shot that he needs to work on. This kid isn't even 19 yet and he looked like he belonged with OEL on the Swedish National Team. IMO he was the 6th-7th best defenseman for Sweden in friendlies but they elected to go with a defender over 20. This is their best prospect, and the sky is the limit for him. ~A puck moving defenseman with excellent skating skills. Brännström has impressive offensive instincts and hockey sense. Plays a pretty good defensive game, which will improve further with increased strength to go with his rather modest height. Passing ability stands out, shot is good and he loves to control the PP. (EliteProspects) ~Quickness, agility and edge work is outstanding and he relies on these skills heavily to evade opponents and create time and space (HockeyProspect.com)
  • Hague is a lanky defender with a booming Sheldon Souray-like shot. The Steelheads relied heavily on him this year and he may have been burnt out by the playoffs but he didn't look out of place for the AHL Chicago Wolves. He won the OHL defenseman of the year award and scored the most goals by a defender in the past 20 years, and the first defenseman to score 30 since 1999-00.
the 'other guys'
  • Elvenes often gets overshadowed but he had a heck of a year in Sweden. ~Creative with his puck handling and passing ability…has a quick release on his shot…battles hard for pucks(Future Considerations) ~He has excellent skating ability, changing speeds and stopping/starting on a dime. His evasiveness makes him extremely difficult to defend (Hockeyprospect.com)
  • Rondberg showed a lot of promise in the SEL as well but he was hurt for a few weeks in April ~He has a good compete level, winning the majority of his puck battles, keeping his feet moving all the time (Hockeyprospect.com) ~Good anticipation and reads..turns up in positive places to support his team's puck-movement (DraftinEu.com)
  • Dugan had a good year for his USHL team, expecting him to develop his game the next 3-4 years in college
  • Center Ben Jones had a fantastic year for Niagara. He's a well rounded forward that started his minor midget days as a D that projects to a 3rd line C upside
  • Reid Duke is a 22yo C that spent most of this year on the shelf. Assistant GM Kelly McCrimmon knows him well from the Brandon Wheat Kings and so he became the very 1st VGK signing last year
  • Jake Bischoff is a solid yet undersized defenseman with some good offensive instincts. His offense started to take off in the 2nd half for the Wolves this year.
  • goalie Dylan Ferguson has actually played in the NHL this year, albeit on emergency basis. He looks great for a kid who wasn't picked until the 7th round (Dallas pick, included in the Methot deal)
  • Zach Whitecloud is a smooth skating defender with good size. He was signed out of college this year.
  • Keegan Kolesar was acquired last year from Columbus at the draft. He didn't show much in the way of offensive instincts at camp, but he has shown he can be a scorer in junior, and had a great February for the Wolves, showing some promise of a potential 3rd line power forward ~A gritty two-way winger with the hard-nosedness and work ethic to frustrate opponents every time he is on the ice. Possesses good awareness in all three zones and knows how to backcheck hard; however, this doesn't take away from his offensive ability, as he has shown flashes of great offensive playmaking and finishing ability. All-in-all, a physical two-way winger that consistently plays to his strengths and is productive with his ice time. (EliteProspects)
  • Dylan Coghlan was signed after attending prospects camp. A well rounded defender with good offensive instincts, he helped get his WHL team to the 3rd round of the playoffs this season. Nothing about his game really stands out to me so I can see why he went undrafted. He has a decent frame and decent skillset to work with though.
  • G Zhukov will compete to be Russia's netminder for the WJCs next year
  • G Oscar Dansk showed flashes of excellence for the Wolves as well as the Knights but he was maybe burnt out by the playoffs.
  • G Maxime Lagace was more impressive with his callup to the Knights than in the AHL, helping Vegas stay around .500 with both Fleury and Subban out.
  • Jake Leschyshyn is having a so-so year and he's currently playing in the Memorial Cup with host team Regina Pats

Vegas will draft in the 2nd round this year and have Pittsburgh's 4th and Vancouver's 4th (99th overall) as well.

I'm very much rooting for Hyka as he was one of the better prospects at camp last year. I think he has a future in the NHL, he's looked decent in call ups this year. Hyka can pass through waivers for most of the year so he might go up and down between the Wolves and the Knights but I hope he sticks on the 3rd line eventually.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Jake 'the decision' Leschyshyn and the Regina Pats win a nailbiter to move on to the Memorial Cup semi-finals vs Hamilton on Friday.

He'll have to work on his defensive play if he wants to make it to the NHL as a bottom 6 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad