Vegas Expansion Thread (Nate Schmidt selected)

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Isabelle isn't happy with the posts she is getting on Twitter. She firing back

Good for her. She takes a lot of sh-t, mostly from entitled crybaby men who won't/can't admit that their primary gripe with her is that they can't stand to see a woman *earning* success in a position they feel they--in all of their armchair GM-ing and know-it-all tweeting glory--should be handed instead.

It's evident in the constant cheap jabs, immature potshots, and dominance-asserting one-upsmanship these dudes (only half-assedly) try to disguise as "civil discourse." And by "civil discourse," I mean an endless stream of "just sayin'!" and "well actually!" lectures.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
It would be tough to ever get anything out of BMac if she stated how he didn't do a good enough job protecting a player or how she was disappointed in him. Isabelle is great and I think a genuine fan of the team who hated to see Nate leave but as a professional she carries herself great in separating herself from the "fan"

You can just tell she's annoyed with caps fans right now

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer

You can just tell she's annoyed with caps fans right now

I just defended Isabelle but it can go the same way for Caps fans. Losing Schmidt is a big blow. Not much of any LD after Orlov and it is clear Vegas was dealing. Again when it comes to Schmidt is was always going to be a lose lose

I am curious if Mac offered up the 3 UFA rights of Williams, Alzner, and Shattenkirk along with a pick. Wonder what that values out to

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think its overreaction.

Chances to lose Schmidt were high. It's OK.

Now GMBM almost have to trade Gruby and use Copley next year, for cap space and asset acquiring reasons.

Orpik being #5 is good for 3 things: playing with Chorney (seen that, not that ugly for regular season), playing with Carlson in case of an emergency, playing with Bowey as a mentor.

The obvious hole is #2LD. Was Nate Schmidt ideal #4D? That is highly debatable.

Now GMBM has a chance to investigate that and choose any player from the league to trade for.

I believe not paying through the nose to keep Schmidt was the right decision in the end. Didn't have alternative really.

Schmidt is not your ideal top-4 def and never was.
Alzner got broken.
Orpik is old.

We got Orlov out of the warm bench. Good for Caps.
Now we have to find another top-4 LD. Mobile, big, left handed and PK capable.

That's doable.

Orpik's contract is a totally another deal and shouldn't be considered within the expansion protection list.

Imagine Caps traded Orpik and got some nice #4D. Who will play #5? There is no such D for Caps behind Orpik. We can field some #6 or #7 with no problem but every #5 (or better) left handed candidate in the system is not ready.

Therefore I expect GMBM to either get 1 defender and keep Orpik or 2 defenders and trade Orpik. What is easier? Better for cap situation? Cheaper from assets lost standpoint?

We will see shortly.

PS: I bet Emelin for Orpik would benefit Caps significantly. 2018's #2 would be a nice price for that. This is just an example though. Better to trade for Neal :P

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A 24 year old with 71 points in 54 games is good regardless of league

Not if he's not going to come over to North America before they lose his rights. Or at all. It felt like it took Kuznetsov forever to come over, but he was just 21. Gusev is 24 and is playing on easily the most stable team in the KHL.

I'm not really impressed with any of the returns so far except maybe what they got from NYI. The players Vegas were paid not to select are mostly superior to the assets they acquired in order to not select them, and in some cases the protected players are superior by a large margin. Pretty obvious that McFail wants to suck hard so he can get his rebuild on and relive his glory days of assembling an entertaining yet fatally flawed roster.

There's no reason to assume that some of the names exposed would have actually been exposed if not for those trades. Take Minnesota, for example. All reports prior to the roster freeze indicated that Minnesota had offers on the table for both Brodin and Scandella, and has spent much of the past few days trying to trade Dumba. They obviously had zero intention of losing an asset like Dumba in the expansion draft. If Vegas doesn't strike a deal with Minnesota, then Minnesota makes the trades they need to either protect Dumba or get something in return for him. There was no real way that Vegas was ever going to get to pick him. So, instead, McPhee opts for a different path. Have Dumba exposed, but agree not to pick him in exchange for prospects. Same type of deal in place for Anaheim, most likely.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So it's only Theodore for Vegas to take Stoner and not take Vatanen/Manson. For taking Haula Vegas and not Scandella/Dumba/Staal trades a third for Tuch. Not great, Bob.

Vegas does end up with picks at 6, 13 and 15 but in a draft that isn't stellar.

(The 2018 2nd was included in the Eller deal.)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Mike Vogel‏Verified account @VogsCaps 31s31 seconds ago
Mike Vogel Retweeted Gavin
Would be unfair to player(s), so no, can't say. But it was more than in line with prices we saw other teams pay to protect assets.

Vogel saying Schmidt's price was more expensive.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well game on Christian Djoos, Jonas Siegenthaler, Lucas Johansen. Hope you're ready

Johansen won't play in the NHL for at least two seasons.

And I don't understand the compete overreaction on twitter (not here) to losing Nate Schmidt.

His greatest asset was his salary and it sucks losing a cheap DMan but people acting like he was the second coming of Bobby Orr on Twitter are idiots.

I will miss his fun loving attitude but I will survive.

These things work themselves out and if it means Bowey gets a legit shot than I'm happy.

If they re-sign Alzner and he returns to form that is fine as well.

I would have been more pissed had they lost Grubauer for nothing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wonder how many of Emelin, Sbisa, Stoner, Garrison get bought out. That's a lot of bad right there (two of which were acquired with no incentives). TVR seems to be on the move and likely Methot and Schlemko so maybe...

Schmidt - Miller
McNabb - Merrill
Garrison - Engelland

Perhaps they'll be active in UFA but...hello Rasmus Dahlin. All season long it seems like they'd have a good chance to add a number of solid #4s and they may only wind up with, say, two.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I wonder how many of Emelin, Sbisa, Stoner, Garrison get bought out. That's a lot of bad right there (two of which were acquired with no incentives). TVR seems to be on the move and likely Methot and Schlemko so maybe...

Schmidt - Miller
McNabb - Merrill
Garrison - Engelland

Perhaps they'll be active in UFA but...hello Rasmus Dahlin. All season long it seems like they'd have a good chance to add a number of solid #4s and they may only wind up with, say, two.

You really think they'll keep Schmidt? Judging by the price to keep him, I suspect someone else wants him.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Sorry but outside of Oshie I don't care who they lose.

I want Vrana in the top six, Bowey as a 5/6 to start the season, Seigenthaler as a callup, and Djoos/Barber/Gersich to get a legit shots (they have to sign Gersich).

If they suck they suck, it can't be any worse than winning Pres Trophies and flaming out every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad