• Yes

Votes: 106 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 403 79.2%

• Total voters

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
"In the season before the lockout, the Jets were drawing 12,500 fans a game, which was 2,000 below the league average. So when hockey resumed in mid-January 1995, it wasn't all that surprising that less than 10,000 fans were showing up at Jets home games. Part of that was certainly a backlash to the league's imposed work stoppage, but when Winnipeg took on Anaheim in its second game, the team was booed off the ice.

I'll admit that the value of the dollar had a big impact on the Jets leaving, the fact is; there were many times over a 4 or 5 year period when the Jets could've been bought and saved locally and although everybody knew exactly what would happen if the fans didn't do their part, they simply didn't support their team.
How about our owner Barry Shenkarow didn’t own the arena. He received 0$ in concessions or in parking. The arena had only a couple of luxury boxes. He received gate revenue only. Salaries started to climb drastically at that time and the Canadian dollar was at .60 cents. We needed a new arena and our government wasn’t willing to foot the bill. Those are just a few things. The politics of the league and wanting to expand to large, non traditional hockey markets had a lot of play in that too, don’t kid yourself. And as far as our attendance goes, 12,500 was the league average for years, with much larger buildings. Our arena was retrofitted in ‘79 when we joined the league. 2,500 of those 15,000 seats were extremely obstructed views. I remember sitting in seats in one of the upper balconies and could only see 1/4 of the ice lol. We had 19” dusty monitors to catch the action. To be honest, Winnipeg simply couldn’t afford an NHL franchise at the time. Everything is different now. Revenue sharing, dollar parody put in place, a salary cap, our owner owns the arena and a bunch of venues around the building. The Jets kinda needed to leave so that Winnipeg could get its **** together. Saying that the team left because we the fans didn’t suppport the team is simply untrue and obviously just a way of trolling. Unless it’s coming from a new fan to hockey. If so, I’ll give you a decade or so to learn the game and it’s history, before I even consider entertaining your opinion.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
How about our owner Barry Shenkarow didn’t own the arena. He received 0$ in concessions or in parking. The arena had only a couple of luxury boxes. He received gate revenue only. Salaries started to climb drastically at that time and the Canadian dollar was at .60 cents. We needed a new arena and our government wasn’t willing to foot the bill. Those are just a few things. The politics of the league and wanting to expand to large, non traditional hockey markets had a lot of play in that too, don’t kid yourself. And as far as our attendance goes, 12,500 was the league average for years, with much larger buildings. Our arena was retrofitted in ‘79 when we joined the league. 2,500 of those 15,000 seats were extremely obstructed views. I remember sitting in seats in one of the upper balconies and could only see 1/4 of the ice lol. We had 19” dusty monitors to catch the action. To be honest, Winnipeg simply couldn’t afford an NHL franchise at the time. Everything is different now. Revenue sharing, dollar parody put in place, a salary cap, our owner owns the arena and a bunch of venues around the building. The Jets kinda needed to leave so that Winnipeg could get its **** together. Saying that the team left because we the fans didn’t suppport the team is simply untrue and obviously just a way of trolling. Unless it’s coming from a new fan to hockey. If so, I’ll give you a decade or so to learn the game and it’s history, before I even consider entertaining your opinion.
And that last season which averaged 10,000? The Jets were supposed to leave the summer before to Minneapolis and that deal fell through. They couldn’t put the team in Phoenix till the following season so we were stuck with the team KNOWING they was gone after the season. A lame duck season where the fans were all aware. Kinda hard to get pumped up and want to support that. I’d say 10,000 is pretty good, considering the circumstances.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
And that last season which averaged 10,000? The Jets were supposed to leave the summer before to Minneapolis and that deal fell through. They couldn’t put the team in Phoenix till the following season so we were stuck with the team KNOWING they was gone after the season. A lame duck season where the fans were all aware. Kinda hard to get pumped up and want to support that. I’d say 10,000 is pretty good, considering the circumstances.
After the Minnesota deal fell through the "Spirtit of Manitoba" had another chance (in between Minnesota and the Phoenix buyer) to save the Jets 1.0, but couldn't raise the money locally. IOW, there were many chances to save the team, nobody stepped up.
I'm not just blaming fans, there's lots of blame to go around, and yes the dollar is a big one. The team was given a 12th hour stay of execution and still didn't bother going to games. I'm not new to hockey, I remember that scenario of 20+ years ago (while shaking my head) like it was yesterday.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
After the Minnesota deal fell through the "Spirtit of Manitoba" had another chance (in between Minnesota and the Phoenix buyer) to save the Jets 1.0, but couldn't raise the money locally. IOW, there were many chances to save the team, nobody stepped up.
I'm not just blaming fans, there's lots of blame to go around, and yes the dollar is a big one. The team was given a 12th hour stay of execution and still didn't bother going to games. I'm not new to hockey, I remember that scenario of 20+ years ago (while shaking my head) like it was yesterday.

No one stepped up because if they had, they would have failed. Like I said, Winnipeg simply couldn’t afford NHL hockey at that time.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015

Fans in Winnipeg weren't expected to buy obstructed seats? That courtesy doesn't get extended to phoenix fans during the AWA years....

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
New Zealand, South Island
Nope. Are you kidding? The fact that Vegas is in the WCF is a joke and a black mark on the league. To assemble a finals team from other teams by allowing them to protect so few players, they have cheapened the prize.

God forbid if Vegas actually wins the whole thing. Then there will be at least 4 legitimate teams in the NHL that could rightfully claim to have been best real, actual NHL team in the league this year, instead of an artificially-created league experiment in expansion draft rules that obviously failed.

Not to mention the cheapening of all the other names engraved on the trophy - there would be this one huge asterisk-begging disgrace on it, for all time, that the league would have to apologize for.

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
If Vegas wins the cup I think that a lot of NHL team owners should take some serious looks at the experts running their hockey teams both at the GM and pro scouting level.

Yeah. Maybe they could have -every- team be allowed to steal exactly the right players, all at once, from other teams - players with known strengths and weaknesses right up front, with no wasted cap space.

Reactions: Sam Spade

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah. Maybe they could have -every- team be allowed to steal exactly the right players, all at once, from other teams - players with known strengths and weaknesses right up front, with no wasted cap space.
I don't know how you can refer to it as stealing when the other 30 teams had the right to protect those that they themselves deemed most valuable to their respective franchises. I also think that getting Gerard Gallant was a great blessing as well but I also agree with you that it is sort of a black eye for the league but only in the sense that LV should not be this good this soon.

member 151739

I never realized how many conspiracy theorists were on this forum until the Golden Knights came into the league.

From the supposed handing the team a Cup-caliber roster (despite this not holding up whatsoever when you look back at threads over the summer) to the league fixing the games... it's very tiring. All because of jealousy and frustration over their own teams' struggles. It boggles the mind.

meatwad4343

Apr 19, 2018
Tampa
Nope. Are you kidding? The fact that Vegas is in the WCF is a joke and a black mark on the league. To assemble a finals team from other teams by allowing them to protect so few players, they have cheapened the prize.

God forbid if Vegas actually wins the whole thing. Then there will be at least 4 legitimate teams in the NHL that could rightfully claim to have been best real, actual NHL team in the league this year, instead of an artificially-created league experiment in expansion draft rules that obviously failed.

Not to mention the cheapening of all the other names engraved on the trophy - there would be this one huge asterisk-begging disgrace on it, for all time, that the league would have to apologize for.
Not buying this at all. It's not the expansion draft. Blame the other gms stupidity for how good Vegas is. Blame the other teams like the panthers for gifting them two first line wings. Blame the jackets for giving away Karlsson and not giving him the chance to play there. They also had a bit of luck with the pens having two quality goalies, you can't keep both. The knights absolutely deserve to be here and their Gm should get a lot of credit for it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
From what I have seen during the regular season and the playoffs....Vegas gets considerably favoured officiating at home. Vegas players don't seem to get interference penalties, nearing as often at their opponents. I guess the NHL is trying to create a passionate home fan base....sort like the old roller derby, where the home team rarely lost.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I've read this thread and given it a lot of thought and I really think the Knights winning the Cup would sort of turn me off of hockey for a while.

For me it will just sort of be depressing for all the fans of teams that put so much of themselves, (some generations worth), their passion, their money, their hearts and souls into their teams and gotten nothing for it, and to have a team, that has no fans in the real sense of the word, win the Cup would be kind of heartbreaking.

I would really have to think about why I need to bother watching anymore.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t know how any long time hockey fan could watch JabbaWockEeez (or however the f*** you spell it) doing their weird routines with the Stanley Cup and think “yeah, I like watching this. This is good for hockey.”

It’s a joke, and Vegas just further pushes the narrative that the NHL is not a real major sport like the other 4. (Even though basketball is the biggest joke)

Reactions: rosenqvist

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
I don't know how you can refer to it as stealing when the other 30 teams had the right to protect those that they themselves deemed most valuable to their respective franchises. I also think that getting Gerard Gallant was a great blessing as well but I also agree with you that it is sort of a black eye for the league but only in the sense that LV should not be this good this soon.

I can reasonably refer to it as stealing. They shortened the allowable list of protected players for this particular expansion draft. Teams were not able to protect players they wanted to keep. It wasnt like it was only unwanted players left. It was a league experiment to see if, perhaps, they tipped the scales in favor of a new expansion team by limiting even more what players existing teams could protect, then maybe the expansion team would be competitive in 5-6 years instead of 10-12.

The experiment proved one thing - they obviously went to far, put existing teams at too much of a disadvantage. Vegas winning it all would obviously put the stamp of "failure" on the experiment, and would be an indelible stain on league history. And they should go back to the expansion rules of previous expansion teams, instead of allowing this sort of failure to happen again.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
[MOD]

On this site we post what we think and feel about ice hockey, I will do that until I don't feel like it anymore, if the Knights win the Cup, I think MY passion for the game will take a hit.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Heath

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
On this site we post what we think and feel about ice hockey, I will do that until I don't feel like it anymore, if the Knights win the Cup, I think MY passion for the game will take a hit.

[MOD]

Because a group of hard working players won the cup? Try to enjoy it. It's great hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad