• Yes

Votes: 106 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 403 79.2%

• Total voters

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
As Vegas is made up of pretty decent players from every team, would you consider them to be everybody's team?

What I mean by everybody's team is, are you or could you be a fan because they have players you had a connection to in 2016-17. Typically, expansion teams get a bunch of 4th liners, that most fans barely recognize, or play in easily replaceable roles that only a few cared about them. At least that was the case in the past.

This is the first time where the NHL make the expansion draft rules strict enough that Vegas was able to get REAL players right out of the box.

I wanted to post this survey up right when the playoffs started, but never got around to it :D.

Last edited:

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I think Vegas is "Everybody's interested team". I don't think everybody is cheering for them, but I've been getting the impression this year that everybody has pretty much been following their progress and their storyline, far more closely than they would any other team that is not their favourite team.

Does that make any sense?

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I think Vegas is "Everybody's interested team". I don't think everybody is cheering for them, but I've been getting the impression this year that everybody has pretty much been following their progress and their storyline, far more closely than they would any other team that is not their favourite team.

Does that make any sense?

Yes, I was struggling with the wording of the question. So a valid way to look at it is if it everybody's second team, after their main favorite.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
As Vegas is made up of pretty decent players from every team, would you consider them to be everybody's team?

What I mean by everybody's team is, are you or could you be a fan because they have players you had a connection to in 2016-17. Typically, expansion teams get a bunch of 4th liners, that most fans barely recognize, or play in easily replaceable roles that only a few cared about them. At least that was the case in the past.

This is the first time where the NHL make the expansion draft rules strict enough that Vegas was able to get REAL players right out of the box.

I wanted to post this survey up right when the playoffs started, but never got around to it :D.

Vegas vexes me. Also, I'm one of those guys who think a fan base should crawl through ten miles of broken glass before they've "earned" the right to a Stanley Cup parade. I'd rather see fans who bleed their team's colours enjoy the ultimate victory, over a bunch of people who didn't know what a Stanley Cup was a year ago.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Yes, I was struggling with the wording of the question. So a valid way to look at it is if it everybody's second team, after their main favorite.

I don't even know about that. As soon as you introduce the word "favourite", it indicates a preference towards, or in-support-of. I think it really is just a matter of the community finding them interesting. And probably for one of three or four reasons, least of which is former players (outside of Pens fans, maybe?)

Interested in them because:

1) Intrigue. Shiny new toy appeal?
2) Growth. They're the new model for expansion teams, so people will be interested in their story to see how future expansions might affect parity, going forward.
3) Economical. A lot of folks are interested in the dollars & cents of hockey operations (there's a whole board dedicated to it), and money is the gas in the NHL's tank.
4) Strategy. I can see people following their progress because they have a uniquely built roster of Four 2nd lines, and Three middle D-pairs (essentially). I'm sure a lot of people have wondered over the years how that model would actually play out, it's never been tested.
5) Former Players. They don't really have any elite players, so I don't think people are following them for their superstars, or for any former-players from their favourite team... outside of Pens fans really cheering for Fleury because he was so beloved here. I can't speak for other fan bases with former-players on the Knights now though.

Reactions: Roasted Nuts

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I've been rooting for them since Round 1/2 when the Avs lost. But they abandoned their Av, so it's not because of that. I'd like to see them win because it's a good story (brand new franchise, bunch of castoffs, feels good to see them winning) and because it'll piss off everyone else that take sports too seriously.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Vegas vexes me. Also, I'm one of those guys who think a fan base should crawl through ten miles of broken glass before they've "earned" the right to a Stanley Cup parade. I'd rather see fans who bleed their team's colours enjoy the ultimate victory, over a bunch of people who didn't know what a Stanley Cup was a year ago.

This is fan arrogance at its best (or worst). You don't win the Cup.

Please give me one reason why any PLAYER on Las Vegas deserves to win the Cup any less than any other player in the league, including the ones playing for your favorite team.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Please give me one reason why any PLAYER on Las Vegas deserves to win the Cup any less than any other player in the league, including the ones playing for your favorite team.
Pretty sure when he stated the fan base that meant nothing about their players.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006

Operative words being "fan base".

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Actually, I DID state the fans and not the players, and I stand by that. Since they aren't my team I can cheer for or against them for whatever reason I deem valid, not you.

My opinion is valid simply because it is an opinion and does not require buy-in or consensus from you or others.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Either way, fans don't "deserve" anything, no matter if you've been rooting for 80 years or 8 months.
I would respectfully disagree. Tell the guy who's spent thousands in season tickets for 10 years as his team goes through a rebuilding stage until they're finally a contender that the "fans" don't deserve anything.

I think any player in the league would tell you the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad