Movies: Vegan 2019 - The Film

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not an expert, but then explains to everyone about how we should all be vegans or else we're worse than slave owners.
I can't say that I think it's really all that outlandish of an idea, though, personally. I mean, meat consumption is happening on a scale that completely dwarves slavery-- if you view any farmed species of animal life as being anything remotely close to as worthy of moral consideration/worth as humans, it shouldn't be hard to see how or why someone can reach that conclusion. For me, valuing the lives of humans more than animals is purely driven by self-interested subjective and biological bias as well as comfort and conditioning-- I'm not sure I can make an objective moral argument that actually backs up the sentiment and that is consistent with how I view everything else.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Comparing meat eaters to slave owners is absurd, to the point where you can't even really have a discussion on it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Comparing meat eaters to slave owners is absurd, to the point where you can't even really have a discussion on it.
I have the same immediate instinct, but I don't have (and haven't heard) a good counter-argument for it that doesn't just sound like forced rationalization, personally. It likely feels absurd purely because it's so extreme compared to what's commonly accepted and ingrained in us/benefits our own self interests, but that's true of any moral frontier.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I have the same immediate instinct, but I don't have a good counter-argument for it that doesn't just sound like forced rationalization, personally. It likely feels absurd purely because it's so extreme compared to what's commonly accepted and ingrained in us, but that's true of any moral frontier, isn't it?

It would be the same as saying factory farming is essentially the Holocaust or Trail of Tears. While the side that makes that argument is trying to say how horrific it is, the only thing it does is make them seem like extremists, so people ignore them, and then desensitize the horrors that they are comparing it to.

You can make plenty of moral and ethical arguments without going to that extreme and they would be much more effective at getting people to change their mind or at least come closer to that point of view.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It would be the same as saying factory farming is essentially the Holocaust or Trail of Tears. While the side that makes that argument is trying to say how horrific it is, the only thing it does is make them seem like extremists, so people ignore them, and then desensitize the horrors that they are comparing it to.

You can make plenty of moral and ethical arguments without going to that extreme and they would be much more effective at getting people to change their mind or at least come closer to that point of view.
I agree that it's likely off-putting and possibly counter-productive (because people's first instinct is to resist the idea and find any reason they can to dismiss and ridicule it), but I'm not sure that makes it any less true, regardless of how extreme it is.

Personally, I care more about the principle than the perception of it, though, so that point's moot for me, personally.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree that it's off-putting and possibly counter-productive (because people's first instinct is to resist the idea and find any reason to dismiss it), but I'm not sure that makes it any less true, regardless of how extreme it is.
There is a distinction between humans and animals though. Always has been and always will be. Some will say there isn't, and that's their right, but there is still a distinction. There are still laws about what you can't do to animals, it's not like I'm saying we can do whatever we want with them though.

It's why owning a human is completely different from owning an animal.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There is a distinction between humans and animals though. Always has been and always will be. Some will say there isn't, and that's their right, but there is still a distinction. There are still laws about what you can't do to animals, it's not like I'm saying we can do whatever we want with them though.

It's why owning a human is completely different from owning an animal.
But that's not a good objective counter argument (and listen, I inherently WANT to eat meat and do regardless, so I'm more than open to one and will change my mind if I find a compelling one, but I haven't), because it's driven entirely by status quo traditions and comforts ("There are existing laws for it!" is a particularly bad one). There are distinctions, but I'm not sure what about those distinctions cause them to be any less relevant and that would still be consistent with how I distinguish between different groups of humans and their moral worth (distinctions in intelligence or degree of complexity sure don't hold up, for example).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
sounds like a propaganda film

gotta love how vegans want all their food to look like and taste like "meat" though...vegan sausage, vegan burgers, vegan chicken

Of course you'll get people like that but that's not necessarily true. A lot of the vegan stuff like burgers up to this point wasn't event imitating meat, rather just taking the form of the burger and being made of a variety of beans/veges/nuts/etc. For the most recent inventions, like Beyond Meat and Impossible burger, the marketing idea isn't to give vegans something that tastes like meat but rather to draw in meat eaters with a vegan alternative. They intentionally started with a burger because the burger is more or less the quintessential American meat product. Draw people in on something safe and familiar, then you can expand.

I find it kind of fascinating to follow from a business perspective, with a lot of parallels to the gas vs electric car market. In that it's not so much a battle of getting people to do what you (looking from the perspective of vegans, environmentalists, etc) consider to be the right thing, but rather creating a superior market alternative because that's the only thing our lazy ass society will listen too.

Reactions: Basement Cat

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
But that's not a good objective counter argument (and listen, I inherently WANT to eat meat and do regardless, so I'm more than open to one and will change my mind if I find a compelling one, but I haven't), because it's driven entirely by status quo traditions and comforts ("There are existing laws for it!" is a particularly bad one). There are distinctions, but I'm not sure what about those distinctions cause them to be any less relevant and that would still be consistent with how I distinguish between different groups of humans and their moral worth (distinctions in intelligence or degree of complexity sure don't hold up, for example).
Why do you need distinctions between different groups of humans to determine their moral worth? There is not a distinction for that. That's surely a path we should never go down again in society.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Of course you'll get people like that but that's not necessarily true. A lot of the vegan stuff like burgers up to this point wasn't event imitating meat, rather just taking the form of the burger and being made of a variety of beans/veges/nuts/etc. For the most recent inventions, like Beyond Meat and Impossible burger, the marketing idea isn't to give vegans something that tastes like meat but rather to draw in meat eaters with a vegan alternative. They intentionally started with a burger because the burger is more or less the quintessential American meat product. Draw people in on something safe and familiar, then you can expand.

I find it kind of fascinating to follow from a business perspective, with a lot of parallels to the gas vs electric car market. In that it's not so much a battle of getting people to do what you (looking from the perspective of vegans, environmentalists, etc) consider to be the right thing, but rather creating a superior market alternative because that's the only thing our lazy ass society will listen too.
Impossible and Beyond: How healthy are these meatless burgers? - Harvard Health Blog

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I'm sure there are people out there that would say this but I don't think anyone actually brought that up here? I thought the line of discussion was 'this is something our future ancestors will look down on us for'. As meat eating is a global thing though rather than going something extreme like US slavery or the holocaust I'd think it would be viewed more like general racism.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why do you need distinctions between different groups of humans to determine their moral worth? There is not a distinction for that. That's surely a path we should never go down again in society.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Sure, I can look at specific distinctions between humans and animals (like intelligence and complexity) and say that because humans are more advanced in those areas they have significantly more moral worth, but when I apply those same standards to different categories of humans, that doesn't hold up. It isn't any less wrong to murder a mentally disabled child than to murder fully grown adult, for example.

It's not a good counter argument.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm sure there are people out there that would say this but I don't think anyone actually brought that up here? I thought the line of discussion was 'this is something our future ancestors will look down on us for'. As meat eating is a global thing though rather than going something extreme like US slavery or the holocaust I'd think it would be viewed more like general racism.
Future generations will view it like slavery is viewed today, pretty sure that was the line. My takeaway from that, is that person personally believes that now.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's exactly what I'm saying. Sure, I can look at specific distinctions between humans and animals (like intelligence and complexity) and say that because humans are more advanced in those areas they have significantly more moral worth, but when I apply those same standards to different categories of humans, that doesn't hold up. It isn't any less wrong to murder a mentally disabled child than to murder fully grown adult, for example.
The distinction is at the species level. Do you have problems killing insects or spiders in your house or apartment?

Now, ordering those species in levels gets tough. At an extreme, Orcas and dolphins are clearly above ants and flies. I see what you mean, but for me there is a clear distinction between humans and everything else.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The distinction is at the species level. Do you have problems killing insects or spiders in your house or apartment?
No, and I also eat animal meat, but again, the only reason for that which I'm aware of is due to my own biological bias and my impulse to adhere to status quo norms and comforts/desires/fears as well as my ability to remove myself from things that are dissimilar to me (whether it's morally right to or not). That isn't a compelling moral argument.

With insects, you may be able to argue the degree of consciousness and ability to think and feel, perhaps, but we would need to find some measurement that's actually consistent beyond "look, that's what we've always done and what feels natural to us-- it's never going to change!"

You can say "at a species level", but there needs to be a compelling reason for how that changes the moral equation and why rather than just accepting an arbitrary line that feels comfortable regarding how far removed we are from them (in the same way that murdering a stranger or a member of a different race or sex isn't more morally acceptable than murdering someone closer to you or that resembles you).

It may be fair to say "my comforts/instincts/feelings/desires/fears are more important to me than what's actually moral", but it's not fair to say "It must be moral because I'm comfortable with it." What feels good or bad can be very different from what's morally right or wrong. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to look back in time and see "Oh wait, it turns out we were wrong about that all along and it was actually worse than we felt."

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No, and I also eat animal meat, but again, the only reason for that which I'm aware of is due to my own biological bias and my impulse to adhere to status quo norms and comforts as well as my ability to remove myself from things that are dissimilar to me (whether it's morally right to or not). That isn't a compelling moral argument because it can be used to justify all kinds of heinous things.

With insects, you may be able to argue the degree of consciousness and ability to think and feel, perhaps, but we would need to find some measurement that's actually consistent beyond "look, that's what we've always done and what feels natural to us-- it's never going to change!"

You can say "at a species level", but there needs to be a compelling reason for how that changes the moral equation and why rather than just accepting an arbitrary line that feels comfortable regarding how far removed we are from them (in the same way that murdering a stranger or a member of a different race or sex isn't more morally acceptable than murdering someone closer to you or that resembles you).

It may be fair to say "my comforts/instincts/feelings are more important to me than what's actually moral", but it's not fair to say "It must be moral because I'm comfortable with it." What feels good or bad can be very different from what's morally right or wrong.

It's moral because humans need to eat and that's where eating meat stems from. It is a primal thing, like a lion devouring a zebra, we're just intelligent enough as a species to move forward with technology so alternatives are available now, but that doesn't mean that those alternatives will always exist. Claiming that meat eaters will be looked down upon like we do on slavery is absurd, eating is a necessity for humans to survive, having slaves is not.

When looking at the mass agriculture needed to supply the planet with enough plants and nutrients to survive without eating meat, I just don't see how it's possible. The amount of fertile land required, the amount of chemicals used, the amount of farm equipment, variation in animal populations, etc. makes me think it can't really be done without harming certain animals and potentially the planet. Getting rid of factory farming and unfair treatment of animals is not the same thing as getting rid of meat in our diets.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
sounds like a propaganda film

gotta love how vegans want all their food to look like and taste like "meat" though...vegan sausage, vegan burgers, vegan chicken

I remember when veganism started to become really mainstream about 10 years ago. It started with "Because its evil!", but not a single statement about how unhealthy a single hard boiled egg is.

Fast forward several years later, all of a sudden 1 hard boiled egg is equivalent to smoking 5 cigarettes.....

It's as if the health scares of what is actually a healthy diet when consumed in moderation has become the Plan B of the militant vegans agenda to make everyone be like them. "We've told everyone that killing animals is evil but they are still eating meat. I know, let's tell them that's it unhealthy too! And we'll use unsupported, flawed and biased evidence! That will change them!"

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's moral because humans need to eat and that's where eating meat stems from. It is a primal thing, like a lion devouring a zebra, we're just intelligent enough as a species to move forward with technology so alternatives are available now, but that doesn't mean that those alternatives will always exist. Claiming that meat eaters will be looked down upon like we do on slavery is absurd, eating is a necessity for humans to survive, having slaves is not.

When looking at the mass agriculture needed to supply the planet with enough plants and nutrients to survive without eating meat, I just don't see how it's possible. The amount of fertile land required, the amount of chemicals used, the amount of farm equipment, variation in animal populations, etc. makes me think it can't really be done without harming certain animals and potentially the planet. Getting rid of factory farming and unfair treatment of animals is not the same thing as getting rid of meat in our diets.
To me, what you're describing is a case where our self interest in personal survival outweighs our desire to be moral, not a case where we're behaving morally-- You're essentially arguing that it's a necessary evil (a phrase that implies immorality), which is another discussion altogether. And listen, I'm not saying that it shouldn't-- Moral consideration isn't necessarily the absolute most important thing in the world and shouldn't be the sole barometer for what is considered understandable behavior-- We're selfish beings by design, and if you were in a desperate life or death situation where you had to harm someone you didn't know or care about or who didn't deserve it against their will in order to save yourself, you may just do that and it may be somewhat understandable-- but that doesn't make it morally right. Either way, though, we should call a spade a spade about the act committed, rights/social contracts/intrinsic conscious value violated, and broader, more removed objective principles. The idea that our own self interests contributes to how moral something is doesn't make much sense and seems antithetical to me. The two are often at odds with one another-- In fact, that's what makes behaving morally challenging and at times impractical.

The fact that eating meat is a more understandable impulse than owning slaves (which I agree that it obviously is) should have no bearing on whether or not it's acknowledged as just as immoral of an act consisting of just as many moral violations, if not more (again, it's easy to see how someone can arrive at that conclusion). Having a compelling reason to do it is not the same thing as being morally justified in doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Correct. I know hunting hasn't been brought up much here, but it usually does in these discussions. Something it doesn't get credit for is how hunting has helped rebuild ecosystems. Many of the animals today were on the edge of extinction before refrigeration became a thing. Humans would have to hunt quite a bit and there would be a lot of wasted meat because it could be kept or sent to people in mass. Now with taxes and regulation, the hunting industry has helped many species recover and flourish. Over-fishing is a risk though right now.

Yeah, that is something really not considered very often either. To be able to feed everyone through plants, the impact would be massive, not even sure we are there yet. Lab grown meat is not where it needs to be either. If lab grown meat can be healthy and tasty, that would be the game-changer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think you'd have to be an idiot to think these burgers are healthy. If you're a vegan I think the idea is that it's more of once a week/once a month type of thing. I don't think anybody would eat a real hamburger everyday either, neither of these things are good for you.
You'd be surprised. It's just like gluten-free. Too many people believe that simply if something is vegan or gluten-free, then it must be healthier. Those foods are made for people that have actual diet restrictions where that is their only option to have that type of food. Although some of those food brands will try and push misinformation.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

holocaust
destruction or slaughter on a mass scale

By the very definition of the word, what we're doing to these animals is a holocaust

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
You'd be surprised. It's just like gluten-free. Too many people believe that simply if something is vegan or gluten-free, then it must be healthier. Those foods are made for people that have actual diet restrictions where that is their only option to have that type of food. Although some of those food brands will try and push misinformation.

Same thing with the "super food" title. Which is simply a marketing tactic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad