Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If he does well these playoffs, I want a claude lemieux type presence come playoffs. Sure its unrealistic and premature at this point. But he has the tools, just need the orneryness.

Nov 1, 2011
If he does well these playoffs, I want a claude lemieux type presence come playoffs. Sure its unrealistic and premature at this point. But he has the tools, just need the orneryness.

I'd say he needs the protection.

It's hard for a young guy like Pods or even Virtanen to play physical knowing they won't have backup if a guy on the other team tries to "hold them accountable".

Need a Shawn Thornton type who knows the other tough guys in the league who can help mentor him along through that kind of stuff.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

It's hard for a young guy like Pods or even Virtanen to play physical knowing they won't have backup if a guy on the other team tries to "hold them accountable".

Need a Shawn Thornton type who knows the other tough guys in the league who can help mentor him along through that kind of stuff.
Bring in Leo Komarov and keep MacEwen in the line-up. Keep Roussel on the roster too and superstars will be going nuts trying to get through the neutral zone.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018

Yeah, he needs someone to have his back. I wonder how much this kind of thing screwed with Virtanen.

He got beat up by some AHL middleweight goon in New Jersey as a rookie. And he also got that questionable, IMO, suspension for a somewhat late hit against a San Jose player. He never lays the body anymore.

Canucks don't have a nuclear deterrent but they have a few players up and down the lineup that wouldn't shy away from a fight. Mac, Roussel, Benn, even Miller.

Reactions: bh53

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin plays with a hard, relentless style that won't endear him to his opponents, but I have absolutely no concern that he'll ever need 'protection'. It's like saying Horvat needs 'protection' because of the style he plays.

Podkolzin will dish out a lot of punishment, and give as good as he receives.

Reactions: Deezone

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, he needs someone to have his back. I wonder how much this kind of thing screwed with Virtanen.

He got beat up by some AHL middleweight goon in New Jersey as a rookie. And he also got that questionable, IMO, suspension for a somewhat late hit against a San Jose player. He never lays the body anymore.

Canucks don't have a nuclear deterrent but they have a few players up and down the lineup that wouldn't shy away from a fight. Mac, Roussel, Benn, even Miller.
Loui for Looch! :thumbu:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ironically Lucic probably ended up being the most useful of the three awful contracts (Lucic, Eriksson, and Neal)

Don't get the irony. Lucic actually got the most money and had the most movement restrictions. A potential Lucic for Eriksson deal was discussed before the Lucic for Neal trade and most people here were strongly against that idea.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Don't get the irony. Lucic actually got the most money and had the most movement restrictions. A potential Lucic for Eriksson deal was discussed before the Lucic for Neal trade and most people here were strongly against that idea.

Fair enough. "Interestingly" would have been more appropriate.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Ya, I have no concern about protecting Pod on the ice. My concern is having no other Russians to help him acclimatize and deal with language barriers.

Have tryamkin open doors as a 7th D? Actually he would be great as a #6D, we don't need much from him other than physicality, hopefully a better Alberts. Maybe he became a much improved player learning from Datsyuk?

Do russians really need to hang around other Russians though??? I know there are those on HF (atlas) that believe Russians are a separate species that need their systems their coaches their clubs for a specific amount of development years in order to be a good NHLer. But we have plenty of Russians that integrated well too as long as the msging from the coach is clear. And they are given an opportunity to succeed.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Mac is a really good fighter. Jake seems like he wants to be liked and not involved in rough stuff. Others like even Hoglander do not care. It seems Podz is more of a don't care type of guy. You do not have to fight you just cannot stop playing rough when threatened, look at Edler. He plays rough never fights but never changes, he has a stick and gives as good as he gets.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I get wanting a fellow countryman who can help someone settle into a culture in a new country....but Tryamkin is not that guy. You want to have someone who is acclimatized to the lifestyle, not someone who played bolted after one season as a regular.

Tryamkin would also need the same support.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I get wanting a fellow countryman who can help someone settle into a culture in a new country....but Tryamkin is not that guy. You want to have someone who is acclimatized to the lifestyle, not someone who played bolted after one season as a regular.

Tryamkin would also need the same support.
Maybe Zhukenov for both of them?

Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad