Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The comment from SKA's president suggests he feels fine and the 3-day timeline is out of caution. This is about as positive of an early report that you can get.

I do hope that he does not play for the Canucks this year. We can't be wasting ELC years on a team in cap hell.

If things go well, his "burning" a year of ELC is really not that big a deal. Keep him happy if you can, and if that costs us a year of his ELC, its only going to make a difference of about $2.5 M for ONE year. (based on that if he is playing "well", he gets a bridge deal of about $3.5 x 3 or 4 years.) One year is not worth suddenly becoming financially intelligent. And that year won't be until at least 2023, after our most burdensome contracts are gone.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Could the NHL actually be safer now for headhunting and concussions than the KHL?

NHL has gone a long ways (financially motivated) to try to get rid of illegal hits and take fighting out. Makes for a less exciting product, but the skill players can play longer at the top of the game.

Imagine what Kariya and Lindros could have done in todays league

Bring Pod over asap I say. End of the seasons, let him make his case.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Could the NHL actually be safer now for headhunting and concussions than the KHL?

NHL has gone a long ways (financially motivated) to try to get rid of illegal hits and take fighting out. Makes for a less exciting product, but the skill players can play longer at the top of the game.

Well at the height of their games, both Kariya and Lindros were stars. I think Kariya would have a longer peak, especially in the playoffs. Lindros, I'm not too sure if he would have done better. I think he would still be a unique force in today's NHL.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If things go well, his "burning" a year of ELC is really not that big a deal. Keep him happy if you can, and if that costs us a year of his ELC, its only going to make a difference of about $2.5 M for ONE year. (based on that if he is playing "well", he gets a bridge deal of about $3.5 x 3 or 4 years.) One year is not worth suddenly becoming financially intelligent. And that year won't be until at least 2023, after our most burdensome contracts are gone.

This is why having a Brian Burke type GM is good. “Keeping him happy”... used to be a dream to play in the NHL. Now kids have this entitlement or pout. I wouldn’t burn a year on this crap team. Roster next year is virtually the same. So that is another 2 years of garbage. Assuming Benning doesn’t sign more Ferlunds / Beagles / Rousells, we should see some cap space / roster flexibility in 2023.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Nothing is “safer”. You have idiots in the KHL and idiots in the NHL. Having an enforcer on your team isn’t going to stop the punk that drives his shoulder in to someone’s head. They are wired like that. Nobody is stopping a second short because they have a goon vs following thru because they don’t. Different player backs out of the blindside hit, just gotta be lucky that the few times you are admiring a pass or have your head down, the opposing player isn’t an idiot.

Reactions: BMann

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
If your brain gets the right amount of acceleration directed at it from an external force it will hit the interior of the skull in that direction. Enough force and even the 'toughest' of sportspeople will go down. Many is the time one sees a rugby union player out for the count or unable to understand where they are. It is best that Podkolzin takes the full time needed to recover. One always needs to be aware of the long term consequences.

Reactions: canuckking1

lawrence

May 19, 2012
. bambi legs. hope hes alright

bambi legs better than passed out on the ice and have to be helped off totally.

speedy recovery. Poor kid can't catch a break. finally starting to see ice time, and bam! he's out for 3 days first maybe more.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Not sure if it was announced previously he would definitely miss some time but he is not in SKA's lineup today

Reactions: supercanuck

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
bambi legs better than passed out on the ice and have to be helped off totally.

speedy recovery. Poor kid can't catch a break. finally starting to see ice time, and bam! he's out for 3 days first maybe more.
Severe blows to the nose often cause temporary shakiness and decreased LOC irrespective of whether a traumatic brain injury has taken place. No idea whether it’s the case here.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The issue isn't so much him missing time but the insistence that he would still be training. I can just see the kid having his career delayed due to not giving his brain time to heal.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Severe blows to the nose often cause temporary shakiness and decreased LOC irrespective of whether a traumatic brain injury has taken place. No idea whether it’s the case here.
Looked more like the chin to me. And I didnt notice any blood which youd expect from such a shot to the nose.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Not sure if it was announced previously he would definitely miss some time but he is not in SKA's lineup today

Some mentioning may be out til next training camp so missing tonights game is NO suprise unfortunately

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
At this point, I'm more in fear of the "trust me, kid, you're good to go" thing.
Podzilla is one tough customer, who is also a natural leader. Hopefully the doctors don’t let Pod’s natural instincts influence their medical decisions.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Well at the height of their games, both Kariya and Lindros were stars. I think Kariya would have a longer peak, especially in the playoffs. Lindros, I'm not too sure if he would have done better. I think he would still be a unique force in today's NHL.

His career was completely derailed by Darius Kasparaitis and Scott Stevens. He suffered 6 concussions in a 16 month span.

Are you thinking about his foot speed not being adequate? I guess that could be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad