Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Imagine if Podkolzin chirps Chatfield at a bar and Chatfield one punches him out....Chatfield becomes the new Bieska
Except Chatfield would get his ass handed to him.

a8a4e22c24098fc62431f579a34f065c.gif

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Pearson isn't even signed past this year and probably should be dealt for picks at the deadline.
100%, but I think he regresses this year after those EN Goals/Assists padded his stats last year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We're into the WJHC countdown now. Podkolzin and the Russian team will be fun to watch....with all the COVID troubles on other squads, I'd say that along with the Canadians, the Russians have to be one of the tournament co-favorites.

I would be something if somehow could keep Podkolzin in N.A. after this tournament. Inserting Podkolzin and Hoglander into this lineup would completely change the narrative for the coming NHL season.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
His team just locked up the best Russian prospect since OV/Malkin to a 5 year contract. Likely to go 1st/2nd OA in the 2023 draft. Wonder if you’re picking in the top 2 in that draft you’re willing to wait 3-4 years to come over.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
His team just locked up the best Russian prospect since OV/Malkin to a 5 year contract. Likely to go 1st/2nd OA in the 2023 draft. Wonder if you’re picking in the top 2 in that draft you’re willing to wait 3-4 years to come over.

Probably wont be taken in the top 3 if they have to wait 3 years. But if hes that good I can see a team picking 4-5 taking him. I mean we are waiting 4 years for Juolevi.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Probably wont be taken in the top 3 if they have to wait 3 years. But if hes that good I can see a team picking 4-5 taking him. I mean we are waiting 4 years for Juolevi.

We weren't planning on waiting for Juolevi though. We did know Podkolzin would be a couple of years.

Going to be a few insane players coming through in a few years. MIchkov and Bedard obviously in 2023, and it will be interesting to see how Kiriharju does heading to 2024. Its going to take a couple of years to see if they all pan out ... some of these guys seem beyond belief and then stagnate.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Wasn’t there a lot of commentary around Podkolzin that if it hadn’t been for the 2-3 year wait attached to him, he might have gone Top 5 or Top 3?

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Vasily Podkolzin, F

How acquired:
Selected with No. 10 pick in 2019 NHL Draft
2019-20 season: SKA St. Petersburg (KHL): 30 GP, 2-6-8
The 19-year-old right wing could join the Canucks once his Kontinental Hockey League contract expires April 30, 2021. Podkolzin (6-foot-1, 190 pounds) scored three points (one goal, two assists) in four KHL postseason games last season and five points (one goal, four assists) in three games at the 2020 Karjala Cup (led tournament in scoring). Podkolzin, upon his NHL arrival, could play on the second line with center Bo Horvat and left wing Tanner Pearson.
"When [Podkolzin's] season is finished in Russia, we've communicated to him and his agent that we'd like to get him signed and bring him over," Vancouver general manager Jim Benning said. "We think he can for sure step in and play in the NHL right now. … He plays a power forward-style game and is a good two-way player, which coaches like in young players. … We feel like he's going to be another one of those guys that's going to be in our group of young core players that's going to drive winning for the team for a long time."
Projected NHL arrival:
This season

Top prospects for Vancouver Canucks

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Feb 20, 2013

Michkov is the type of talent that should be taken first overall even if you expected him to stay in the KHL for 5 years.

He is poised to break the all time record for U16 scoring in the MHL. He has 25 points in 24 games so far, compared to Kucherov's 54 in 53 in 2009-10.
Keep in mind he has a December birthday, so he only just turned 16 a few days ago, so while Kucherov put up those numbers in his 16-17 age season, Michkov is technically doing it in his 15-16 age season (although really he is only 6 months younger than Kucherov was).

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Michkov is the type of talent that should be taken first overall even if you expected him to stay in the KHL for 5 years.

He is poised to break the all time record for U16 scoring in the MHL. He has 25 points in 24 games so far, compared to Kucherov's 54 in 53 in 2009-10.
Keep in mind he has a December birthday, so he only just turned 16 a few days ago, so while Kucherov put up those numbers in his 16-17 age season, Michkov is technically doing it in his 15-16 age season (although really he is only 6 months younger than Kucherov was).

but if you're a GM, do you want to draft a player with your 1OA pick knowing your horrible team will not get any immediate help until you're probably fired?? you're asking them to do something that is detrimental to their own employment. seeing this is a Podkolzin thread, you will not have any input to the way he will be developed, you are fighting strong political forces within Russia trying to retain as many stars within their sphere to gain political favors. What if Michkov is convinced that national duty trumps his own earning power? hes probably starting to be influenced at 16 now, what if he signs another 2 years after that?? How long have we heard about the legend of Kaprizov? I doubt he will be selected top 2 with all these questions in mind.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
but if you're a GM, do you want to draft a player with your 1OA pick knowing your horrible team will not get any immediate help until you're probably fired?? you're asking them to do something that is detrimental to their own employment. seeing this is a Podkolzin thread, you will not have any input to the way he will be developed, you are fighting strong political forces within Russia trying to retain as many stars within their sphere to gain political favors. What if Michkov is convinced that national duty trumps his own earning power? hes probably starting to be influenced at 16 now, what if he signs another 2 years after that?? How long have we heard about the legend of Kaprizov? I doubt he will be selected top 2 with all these questions in mind.

So many things change this equation. How he performs until his draft year. what the finances of the different leagues are. does his trajectory change. Pretty much 2.5 years from now we will see if he's top 10, and where he's projected and where his contract stands.

edit - this "kid" is projected to be a superstar .... lets wait 2 years berfore we get too excited.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I know you aren't suppose to gauge a player off of world juniors, but I am really hoping to see him light it up at the WJC. It would give me some hope that this guy can do all the little things that we see him doing (strong on the puck, hard worker, leader, etc), plus be a top offensive threat in the NHL. If he is near the top of the scoring at the end of the tournament, then I will confidently be able to predict that he will be an elite or near elite player. I mean, if this guy can be a 70 to 80 point guy on top what we know he can already do, he will be a force. It's not really a bold prediction either, given the history of what top scorers in the WJC go on to become.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I know you aren't suppose to gauge a player off of world juniors, but I am really hoping to see him light it up at the WJC. It would give me some hope that this guy can do all the little things that we see him doing (strong on the puck, hard worker, leader, etc), plus be a top offensive threat in the NHL. If he is near the top of the scoring at the end of the tournament, then I will confidently be able to predict that he will be an elite or near elite player. I mean, if this guy can be a 70 to 80 point guy on top what we know he can already do, he will be a force. It's not really a bold prediction either, given the history of what top scorers in the WJC go on to become.

If he can produce that would be great, but I think he will be an incredible 60 - 70 pt beast who is an absolute pain to play against. Can't wait for him to get here.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Horvat and Podzolkin on the same line could have the makings a great matchup line in another year or two. After watching Horvat in the playoffs you can really see the value that a second line brings with bigger players who can shine once other coaches focus on shutting down the top line. Podzolkin and Horvat together with a third big guy could really change the makeup of the Canucks into a more heavy team which is what is needed in a long playoff run.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Horvat and Podzolkin on the same line could have the makings a great matchup line in another year or two. After watching Horvat in the playoffs you can really see the value that a second line brings with bigger players who can shine once other coaches focus on shutting down the top line. Podzolkin and Horvat together with a third big guy could really change the makeup of the Canucks into a more heavy team which is what is needed in a long playoff run.

Miller - Horvat - Podkolzin ...would be....?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
A few points here or there in a tournament against a lot of guys who haven’t played whether producing or non producing is not going to change his long term outlook.

It would definitely be nice to see him able to beat goalies clean with his shot. Haven’t really seen it since the preseason tourney in his draft year. But it really won’t change his projection.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i almost feel bad for pod and hoglander breaking in with all the unrealistic expectations on him because fans have had so little to distract them.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I actually think that ^ could be a really good line if Podkolzin works out. It could be a match-up type line that also produces top 6 offense. Leave Boeser with Petey and find a LW to play with them. Two very different look type lines but both could be effective
I totally agree. Pods appears to be a high level playmaker, and Bo needs that kind of winger. Plus, Pods adds size, skill, and mean too - of course.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I totally agree. Pods appears to be a high level playmaker, and Bo needs that kind of winger. Plus, Pods adds size, skill, and mean too - of course.
Not sure if cap space allows but if they scooped up a guy like Hoffman to play with Petey and Boeser...oh man that would be sweet. It would leave us with two legit line-drivers on the second line in Jt and Bo

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not sure if cap space allows but if they scooped up a guy like Hoffman to play with Petey and Boeser...oh man that would be sweet. It would leave us with two legit line-drivers on the second line in Jt and Bo
And that would drop Pearson and Jake to the third line, which is (on a winning team) those two would play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad