Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It doesn't matter when you're comparing accomplishments to players of the same age range. Pettersson holds the record in the SHL for most points in a season all time by a U20 player, unless you think Pod could beat that record in the same league then the strength of the league is irrelevant. My money would be on him not breaking Pettersson's record.

But you're right, getting PPG in the KHL playoffs would be huge. It has less "wow factor" than what Pettersson did, but it's a huge step forward in his development. What will be more important though is how he builds on it next year, it would really be something if he could finally get some offensive stability and score close to PPG in the KHL over a whole season.

Im not so sure about that.

It would be pretty close. KHL in the playoffs is seriously tough. When you remove the bottom barrel teams from the equation the difference between the SHL and the KHL is quite stark.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Pod is also almost a full year younger than petey. So although both Petey and Hughes came into the NHL in their D+2 they were the same age as Pod will be entering the NHL in his draft D+3.

Reactions: SantosLHalpar

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pod is nowhere close to Petey. He's a good prospect but Petey was breaking 40 year old records in the SHL. Not even on the same planet.

Also, Pod is 7 months younger than Petey. He's much closer to 0.5 years younger than "almost a full year younger".

I agree. I can't speak of the KHL.
But Peter Forsberg was attending games and talking about pettersson when he was in the SHL, so were other famous swedish players.
He won everything you can possibly win as a player.

Every SHL developed prospect in the future is now going to measured against Pettersson's benchmark.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah I think we need to appreciate how rare it is to possibly having back to back Calder winners (if Hughes can start dominating again). I get why some are so excited about Pod though, he’s got an intriguing set of skills that this team needs, and is only getting better.

Still don’t like the way he skates, or his shot, but there is time to improve those things still.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure that either the SHL or the Allsvenskan are as strong as they used to be.....most of the really good Swedish players are in the NHL now.

And as an 18 year old, there's absolutely no way Petey would have lit up the KHL like he did the SHL. Much tougher, and lower scoring league imo. So it's hard to compare Podkolzin and Pettersson.......but both guys are and will be huge additions to the Canusk in different ways.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not sure that either the SHL or the Allsvenskan are as strong as they used to be.....most of the really good Swedish players are in the NHL now.

And as an 18 year old, there's absolutely no way Petey would have lit up the KHL like he did the SHL. Much tougher, and lower scoring league imo. So it's hard to compare Podkolzin and Pettersson.......but both guys are and will be huge additions to the Canusk in different ways.

Many are in the KHL too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't wait for this kid to make his Canuck debut....getting positive vibes from this pick. An other 'impact forward' for the Canucks, 'on and off' the ice.

Reactions: jonnygf40

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks drafted 'franchise cornerstones' and 'game-changers' in 2017 and 2018.....Does Podkolzin make it three for three in 2019?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Still interested to see how Boldy develops vis a vis Pods as Boldy was a popular choice among the fan base here. Both Boldy and Pods got off to a slow start production wise only to turn things on late.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still interested to see how Boldy develops vis a vis Pods as Boldy was a popular choice among the fan base here. Both Boldy and Pods got off to a slow start production wise only to turn things on late.
Nothing against Boldy, who seems to be coming around after a slow start to his NCAA career.

But I doubt he's remotely good enough at this point in his career to even make a team in the KHL.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Why are we comparing podkolzin to Boldy? podkolzin will be better than Hughes and Kako AINEC

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Why are we comparing podkolzin to Boldy? podkolzin will be better than Hughes and Kako AINEC
Wow, you are very quick to write of Jack Hughes and Kakko. The are first year players, and especially Jack is super young and slight framed. If you think Pod is so much better than Jack that its not even close, I question your judgement a bit.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Wow, you are very quick to write of Jack Hughes and Kakko. The are first year players, and especially Jack is super young and slight framed. If you think Pod is so much better than Jack that its not even close, I question your judgement a bit.

I mean Hughes is good but Podkolzin is the best winger prospect since Ovie. I mean look at the guy

Speed of Bure
Defence of datsyuk
Shot of Ovie
Vision of Panarin

He’s THE complete package

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The guy I’m watching as the comparison point is Soderstrom. Made a poll about this on the main forum a few months back. Very intelligent player and his PPG increased in the SHL. Right shot, creative and improving.

Boldy was the similar player type to Pod, and had better numbers, but Pod projected better early on. Even with the risks Pod carried, with his production and KHL contract, there was a justification in reaching for him given his pre-draft pedigree.

With Soderstrom, other factors were similar. Most importantly, the men’s league exposure early on and lower production. Let’s see how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad