Confirmed with Link: Varone, Akeson, Leduc, Conditional 7th to OTT for Guptil, O'Dell, Schneider, Sdao

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I liked this trade til I heard Schneider was 26 and still battling to break into the NHL. How are you supposed to feel when you trade approximately equally but there's little to no significant improvement (even in the Amerks)? Guess we'll see. I liked the idea of getting the Bing's leading scorer and points getter. But we'll have to see if that translates to anything more.

Meh?

Schneider is 25, same age as Varone...

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't know how he's never gotten even a look. He's been a great scorer 3 years running in Bingo. You'd think he'd get a cursory call up. It's weird

Here's what I do know....Leduc didn't deserve another deal, Akeson had disappointed and Varone was good but was where he was going to be. They may have gotten little to nothing...but they also gave up little to nothing. Hard to find a problem when there was no reason to keep the guys they moved.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
So it looks like Sdao's low games played numbers for last season and this one are injury related. Per the Binghamton Sens website, injuries were a big reason he only played in 33 games last year. As for this year, he didn't get waived to be sent down until December 29th, which means he was out with injury before then. He's been a healthy scratch a few times since, but considering he missed three months with injury (at least) that could just be an issue of rust.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
To me it reads more likely that they're getting some new faces into the Amerks. Dealing out players that they may not have wanted to retain after the season: Leduc and Varone. Though Varone played a decent two way game, it's always good for a shake up for the Amerks.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Any of our bigger Amerk followers (Sabrefan27) have any insight on Rochester's outlook after this trade?

Very good trade for the Amerks. Leduc was miserably bad and Akeson was a huge disappointment. I liked Varone but he was probably moving on after this year.

This was an excellent deal for the Amerks. Unfortunately, it came about 1 or 2 months too late.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Schneider is 25, same age as Varone...

Fair enough. Think I took that number from another poster earlier. Guess age really doesn't matter. Two team leading AHL players for two other team leading AHL players. Maybe the shuffle will benefit both teams?

static80 had a good insight on the trade forum thread: this move opens up a vet spot on the Amerks - that could be used to bury a contract that Murray might take in another trade? Seems plausible...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
To me it reads more likely that they're getting some new faces into the Amerks. Dealing out players that they may not have wanted to retain after the season: Leduc and Varone. Though Varone played a decent two way game, it's always good for a shake up for the Amerks.
Yes, and Varone, while a center, was likely small by Murray's desired standards.
Very good trade for the Amerks. Leduc was miserably bad and Akeson was a huge disappointment. I liked Varone but he was probably moving on after this year.

This was an excellent deal for the Amerks. Unfortunately, it came about 1 or 2 months too late.
Thanks, sabrefan27

I misspoke, I meant a 2 game tryout
We need more posts from you, because you're routinely funny, and I love the avatar.

Fair enough. Think I took that number from another poster earlier. Guess age really doesn't matter. Two team leading AHL players for two other team leading AHL players. Maybe the shuffle will benefit both teams?

static80 had a good insight on the trade forum thread: this move opens up a vet spot on the Amerks - that could be used to bury a contract that Murray might take in another trade? Seems plausible...
Perhaps, and I know there's lots of flexibility before next season, but with as dinged-up as the Sabres are, I don't know that they'd really need to assign anyone the rest of the way, in particular if they shed another pending UFA.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@kevinoDandC - Former #Amerks jumped right into #BSens lineup today. Varone and Akeson - 2 assists each. Leduc - one goal. Crunch won 5-4 in a shootout though.

LaxSabre - Not a surprise that Varone and Akeson played on the same line - they even started the game.
They both assisted on a Michael Koskta goal at 19:11 of the 3rd Period which gave the BSens a 4-3 lead. Unfortunately the Crunch tied it at 19:51 on a goal by Tye McGinn.
Shootout - Akeson was the second shooter and made his second attempt - gave the BSens a 1-0 lead.
Varone was the fourth shooter and missed on his attempt - he would gave the BSens a 2-1 lead if he had scored.
Leduc first goal as a BSen was scored 3:46 into the game and gave the BSens a 2-0 lead.
Varone - +1/3 SOG - Akeson - +2/4 SOG - Leduc - +2/1 SOG.

Last edited:

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
GMTM to Sabres and Amerks fans: "Dude, you're getting O"Dell!"

AbKze4E.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad