Vanek's status moving forward (trade/extend/let contract play out?)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
1. Treat both Miller and Vanek the same.
2. Speak to both of them right after our season ends. Explain the team's plans, and that the team wants them both life long Sabres. Tell them:
a. Stafford will be traded.
b. a top 4 defenseman will be brought in.
c. a veteran center will be brought in.
d. we will tweak this team and make the playoffs next year. (not out of the question)
e. we will be hiring a top coach.
f. let them know that it may be possible that Ennis, Sekera, Weber, Myers, Foligno, Grigs, Girgs, Armia, Larson, just about anyone might be traded to bring in said center/dman.
g. Ott will be back
3. offer both of them identical 3yr/$18mil contracts, with a mutual option for a 4th year @ $6 mil. Let them know team needs fiscal responsibility, that the team has been comittited to the two of them for years, and $6mil per is nothing to sneeze at.
4. let them know that we want to have a press conference on July 1st with both about the contract signings.
5. let them know if this is not satisfactory, that they will be dealt asap, ie draft. BUT, that is not what the team wants, the team wants to build around those two for the next 3-5 years.

Both Miller and Vanek are not the problem with this team, and never have been. Miller's been the best Sabre all season.

Anyway, I'd love them to sign both to 3-4 year contracts, and start building a competitive team for next year, I don't think we are that far off, couple pieces out, couple in.

I can't see those two taking a 3-4 year contract...especially Vanek... seeing how this will probably be their last pay day for a big contract.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
1. Treat both Miller and Vanek the same.
2. Speak to both of them right after our season ends. Explain the team's plans, and that the team wants them both life long Sabres. Tell them:
a. Stafford will be traded.
b. a top 4 defenseman will be brought in.
c. a veteran center will be brought in.
d. we will tweak this team and make the playoffs next year. (not out of the question)
e. we will be hiring a top coach.
f. let them know that it may be possible that Ennis, Sekera, Weber, Myers, Foligno, Grigs, Girgs, Armia, Larson, just about anyone might be traded to bring in said center/dman.
g. Ott will be back
3. offer both of them identical 3yr/$18mil contracts, with a mutual option for a 4th year @ $6 mil. Let them know team needs fiscal responsibility, that the team has been comittited to the two of them for years, and $6mil per is nothing to sneeze at.
4. let them know that we want to have a press conference on July 1st with both about the contract signings.
5. let them know if this is not satisfactory, that they will be dealt asap, ie draft. BUT, that is not what the team wants, the team wants to build around those two for the next 3-5 years.

Both Miller and Vanek are not the problem with this team, and never have been. Miller's been the best Sabre all season.

Anyway, I'd love them to sign both to 3-4 year contracts, and start building a competitive team for next year, I don't think we are that far off, couple pieces out, couple in.

6M$/yr for a goalie is too much IMO.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Sabres trade THE CAptain?Why all think that.
Vanek belive here and Score many many Goals for the Sabres the next 3-4 Season.

Because if he has no desire to stay in Buffalo during their rebuild, there's not much else to do with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad