Vanek's status moving forward (trade/extend/let contract play out?)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Provided that he isn't dealt at the deadline, what is the course of action you prefer regarding Vanek?

I see four options, with the possibility of some of them merging:

1) Trade him in the offseason, attempting to acquire pieces akin to those CBJ got for Nash (depth, picks, prospect)

2) trade him at the deadline next year, as a rental for a contending team, whether or not we are a contender ourselves

3) keep him if we are contenders and let him hit the market at the end of 2014

4) extend him...if so, for how much and how long?

Are you able to speak your preference on the matter now? Or is too much contingent on what happens with the rest of the roster, and subsequently, how we look next year?

Just wondering. Feel free to lay out your preference in the variety of possible circumstances (if we contend next year, if not, if we trade others at this deadline or in the offseason, etc.)... Can you commit to a route yet? I'd love to see some of you lay it out in various ways...

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Extend him. Unless the return is just too good to be true, he's a lifer in my book for now.

Now get him away from the front of the net and on to the half wall where he can use that shot and not get bombarded by pucks on a nightly basis.

As for how much and how long? Give him a lifer contract for God only knows what amount.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Extend him at all (reasonable) costs.We have invested far too much (top 5 pick in best draft in NHL history,$50 million dollar offer sheet etc) to just let him walk or trade him for an inferior return.Unless we are getting back a stud prospect,a top young player on an ELC or a legit franchise d-man I don't want to trade him.If the offers for him are anything like the horrendous garbage proposals fans of other teams are making for him on the trade board, then I'll gladly keep him.

Players with his production and talent are extremely scarce.Aside from Grigorenko and possibly Armia and Hodgson, there is really no one in the org. who has the potential to put up as much production as Vanek does.There is no chance of us signing a comparable player in free agency, as every top team is just re-signing their elite players at all costs and cutting secondary players to make room.And that is the route I want to go down.I would rather dump the Staffords, Leinos etc to make room to fit Vanek in.Anaheim signed Perry and Getzlaf to 8+ mil a year deals long term.They decided it was better to pay top dollar for their elite talent then to let them go and sign 2nd tier players at a lower cost to replace their production.And that is the correct move.Elite players are rare and hard to come by.If you don't draft them then your most likely not going to get one.Free Agency is a joke now a days since every star is re-signed and trading for a star is even harder.

6 years/36 million. A slight home town discount, if there is one current Sabre that deserves to be a Sabre for life, it's Vanek.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm just not sure he'll want to stay.

This is beginning to look like an extended rebuild.

Interesting point to throw into the mix.

If he doesn't want to stay...and extending him is clearly not an option...do you look to trade him in the offseason or at next year's deadline?

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I'm just not sure he'll want to stay.

This is beginning to look like an extended rebuild.

Paul Hamilton mentioned this yesterday, said Vanek once hinted he wouldn't want to stick around through an entire rebuild, wants to see team remain as competitive as possible, etc. As much as I love Vanek and would love to see him get extended, trade him to some desperate GM (Homer) if he's willing to pay an arm and a leg for a top line guy. How can anyone realistically say, with the state of the franchise, that they wouldn't take Couturier, Read and Philly's 1st this year? Would suck to move Vanek, but it's time to blow. It. Up.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Try to extend him now. If nothing's done by next season's deadline, trade him then, unless we magically transform into a team that looks like a real cup competitor.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Try to extend him, but dangle him to philly and calgary today and see which one of them makes a better offer. If it looks like we're not gonna be contending soon, deal him over the summer

Karate Johnson*

Listen to offers. If a great one comes along, trade him.

Try to extend him over the summer once this deadline is over and he knows the direction of the team.

If a team friendly career ending contract can't be reached start shopping him immediately.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
He's already on record that he isn't enthused about being part of a long rebuild. If that's what they're planning to do, they have to try and move him.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Paul Hamilton mentioned this yesterday, said Vanek once hinted he wouldn't want to stick around through an entire rebuild, wants to see team remain as competitive as possible, etc. As much as I love Vanek and would love to see him get extended, trade him to some desperate GM (Homer) if he's willing to pay an arm and a leg for a top line guy. How can anyone realistically say, with the state of the franchise, that they wouldn't take Couturier, Read and Philly's 1st this year? Would suck to move Vanek, but it's time to blow. It. Up.

Oh no no no. I made an offer of that for Vanek + 2nd and it wasn't received very well :laugh:

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
for total selfish reasons I want him to stick around, mainly because I want my favorite team to win the cup with a player from austria so that I get to see the cup.

But if there's someone willing to overepay, than trade him.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Scoring talent like Vanek don't come around but every so often...extend him.

Karate Johnson*

fleece someone at the 2014 deadline

Just fleece someone, I don't care when it is.

And really, nobody will get fleeced trading for Vanek. He's a very good player. I you're a contender and you trade picks and prospects to make a run, it's not getting fleeced.. It's a calculated risk.

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
My concern with waiting until next years deadline to move him is how healthy will Vanek be? And how much of a return would we get for a banged up rental?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->