Vanek or Michalek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
KillToronto said:
..... and by the way, I like how you call me a homer, yet you call the Czech league better than the NHL.
Nope he didn't. Try to read his posts a bit more accurately next time.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Michalek was projected to be, at best, a solid two way player before a serious injury. I can't believe this is as close as it is.

Sammy*

BartG101 said:
Michalek was projected to be, at best, a solid two way player before a serious injury. I can't believe this is as close as it is.
Why is that?
Vanek was picked before Michalek.

KillToronto

Sammy said:
Why is that?
Vanek was picked before Michalek.

You know what? I bet if the Sharks had taken Vanek, all the shark fans would be singing a different tune about Vanek's laziness and Michalek's talent.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Sammy said:
Give me strength.
You may like Michalek better but dont try to suggest there has been any difference in their development from draft day to today on any basis, but certainly not something as inane as the fact that he is/was playing for the sad sack Sharks. . Thats simply stupid. Vanek couldnt even go to the Sabre camp cause he was going back to college. I guess Michaleks,Horton, Staal..etc are all developing much better than guys that didnt even go to camp (see Suter, Parise, Vanek, Zherdev). Yeah, ok.
Ridiculous comment.

If you would read a lil closer, I was implying that the Staals, Fluerys, and Michaleks of the world are just further along in their development not necessarily developing better or that the Vaneks and who-have-yas aren't developin at all. Its not a hard concept to grasp.

Sammy*

Patty Ice XXX said:
If you would read a lil closer, I was implying that the Staals, Fluerys, and Michaleks of the world are just further along in their development not necessarily developing better or that the Vaneks and who-have-yas aren't developin at all. Its not a hard concept to grasp.
First of all, thats not even close to what you said. What you said was " Fact is that, while Vanek has higher offensive upside, Michalek was/is playin in the NHL this year for a team that didnt necessarily need him in the line-up. Thats says volumes concerning the development of the two". suggesting that the simple fact that he made a team over a guy who chose not even to go to camp makeshim much furthur ahead in development.
Anyways, take it your way. Please explain how your statement is accurate at all.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
KillToronto said:
Exactly. I'm glad you noticed this nonsense post as well.

Do you want to see nonsense...nonsense is usin quotes like these as examples of why Vanek is tougher than Michalek.

"'Two goals 19 seconds apart early in the first period indicated how Minnesota planned to attack the opposing net. Later in the period, the Gophers confirmed it when sophomore forward Thomas Vanek barreled into Denver goalie Adam Berkhoel. "

"Sent to the penalty box for high sticking, Vanek slammed the door, threw his gloves against the glass, yelled at referee Todd Anderson and tried to squirt a water bottle in Anderson's direction."

That last one appears more childish rather than thuggish.

Just admit to the fact you have no idea of Michalek or the game he plays and that you only know of Vanek simply because he's Sabres property. There is no shame in that...you like your team's prospects...I have no beef with that. But when you imply that another team's prospect is inferior when you have no idea what you are talkin about...then we got problems. I said this before twice on this thread...I like Vanek BUT I had Michalek in my top 2 pre-draft and still in my top 2 post-draft regardless of the fact that he's Sharks' property (I was jumpin for joy on draft day). If the tables were turned and the Sabres had took Milan, I know who you would be defending and I would be pissed that the Sabres got Michalek (but satisfied with Vanek).

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I wanted Vanek all along so I'm not saying it because the Sabres picked him. I think he has higher upside than Michalek, but he also has a lower downside. I've never entertained the possibility that Michalek could be a bust, but I also don't think he's ever going to pop in 40-50 goals. Vanek could just as easily be the next Pavel Brendl as he could be the next Mike Bossy. That's a gamble I can live with.

KillToronto

Patty Ice XXX said:
Do you want to see nonsense...nonsense is usin quotes like these as examples of why Vanek is tougher than Michalek.

"'Two goals 19 seconds apart early in the first period indicated how Minnesota planned to attack the opposing net. Later in the period, the Gophers confirmed it when sophomore forward Thomas Vanek barreled into Denver goalie Adam Berkhoel. "

"Sent to the penalty box for high sticking, Vanek slammed the door, threw his gloves against the glass, yelled at referee Todd Anderson and tried to squirt a water bottle in Anderson's direction."

That last one appears more childish rather than thuggish.

Just admit to the fact you have no idea of Michalek or the game he plays and that you only know of Vanek simply because he's Sabres property. There is no shame in that...you like your team's prospects...I have no beef with that. But when you imply that another team's prospect is inferior when you have no idea what you are talkin about...then we got problems. I said this before twice on this thread...I like Vanek BUT I had Michalek in my top 2 pre-draft and still in my top 2 post-draft regardless of the fact that he's Sharks' property (I was jumpin for joy on draft day). If the tables were turned and the Sabres had took Milan, I know who you would be defending and I would be pissed that the Sabres got Michalek (but satisfied with Vanek).

First of all, i didn't use those quotes to defend Vanek's toughness. I posted at least 3 ofther sentences stating my argument. Those quotes were just thrown in to show Vanek has a mean streak, something Michalek lacks. Players with mean streaks are usually tough.

I actually do know how Michalek plays because I follwed him pretty closely last year because I thought the Sabres were going to pick him since Regier didn't speak too highly of Vanek a few weeks before the draft.

Anyway, I think I'm done posting in this thread as there is nothing but b*tching going on and I think we both look like whiners now.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Sammy said:
And why exactly is that?

And the simple fact that can and are playin the NHL. Say what you will about the teams they play for (the Sabres are no powerhouse themselves) but if you can compete in this league at the age of 18, that means you have got to be doin something right with game. I mentioned this earlier which you seem to ignore (maybe because it shows that your logic is faulty) but the Sharks didnt need to have Michalek up with the team. They could have sent him to Clevo and played a proven NHLer in Todd Harvey. Instead, they decided to make Harvey the only million dollar player ever to play in the AHL. Either thats bad management or they couldn't find a good enough reason why Michalek should be sent to the Barons.

I believe I have proven my points on all fronts and unless either of you can come up with a decent argument...I'm finished with this matter.

KillToronto

Patty Ice XXX said:
If the tables were turned and the Sabres had took Milan, I know who you would be defending and I would be pissed that the Sabres got Michalek (but satisfied with Vanek).

That statement has no basis as you could say that about anyone in these forums if the draft had been completely different. You included.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Buffaloed said:
I wanted Vanek all along so I'm not saying it because the Sabres picked him. I think he has higher upside than Michalek, but he also has a lower downside. I've never entertained the possibility that Michalek could be a bust, but I also don't think he's ever going to pop in 40-50 goals. Vanek could just as easily be the next Pavel Brendl as he could be the next Mike Bossy. That's a gamble I can live with.

Now thats an opinion I can agree with. Its not that hard Kill.

KillToronto

Patty Ice XXX said:
Now thats an opinion I can agree with. Its not that hard Kill.

I don't care if you can agree with that. I'm not posting here to make you happy. That's not my intention.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
KillToronto said:
That statement has no basis as you could say that about anyone in these forums if the draft had been completely different. You included.

Thats true except the part about me. Truth is I am a bigger fan of players rather than one team (although I do cheer for the Sharks) and Michalek is my number one guy outta this draft (all my opinion). I was just fortunate enough to have had my favorite team select him.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
KillToronto said:

Thats true except the part about me. Truth is I am a bigger fan of players rather than one team (although I do cheer for the Sharks) and Michalek is my number one guy outta this draft (all my opinion). I was just fortunate enough to have had my favorite team select him. He could have been a Duck and I'd still jock him as much.

KillToronto

Patty Ice XXX said:
Thats true except the part about me. Truth is I am a bigger fan of players rather than one team (although I do cheer for the Sharks) and Michalek is my number one guy outta this draft (all my opinion). I was just fortunate enough to have had my favorite team select him.

Gotcha.

Sammy*

Patty Ice XXX said:
And the simple fact that can and are playin the NHL. Say what you will about the teams they play for (the Sabres are no powerhouse themselves) but if you can compete in this league at the age of 18, that means you have got to be doin something right with game. I mentioned this earlier which you seem to ignore (maybe because it shows that your logic is faulty) but the Sharks didnt need to have Michalek up with the team. They could have sent him to Clevo and played a proven NHLer in Todd Harvey. Instead, they decided to make Harvey the only million dollar player ever to play in the AHL. Either thats bad management or they couldn't find a good enough reason why Michalek should be sent to the Barons.

I believe I have proven my points on all fronts and unless either of you can come up with a decent argument...I'm finished with this matter.
Your logic is flawed. Just because one guy is on an NHL roster & another isnt in & of itself mean jack squat. Thats like saying Brent Burns is developing better/or is furthur ahead in development than Ovechkin because one is in the NHL & the other isnt..
Its frankly stupid.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Sammy said:
Your logic is flawed. Just because one guy is on an NHL roster & another isnt in & of itself mean jack squat. Thats like saying Brent Burns is developing better/or is furthur ahead in development than Ovechkin because one is in the NHL & the other isnt..
Its frankly stupid.

Burns/Ovechkin comparison...thats graspin at straws buddy. Completely different area there. Next!

Dr_Chimera*

Patty Ice XXX said:

Well, it's up to the team as to which player makes the roster - which is no different in Michalek's case.

Some teams don't like to rush players, while others don't have as much patience and play them immediately.

Definitely, Michalek is doing "something right" - no one is disputing that. No one says he is a bad player, but these two are are so different, it's almost unfair to place one ahead of the other.

As for the pro v college argument - it's not entirely fair to Vanek. If he stayed in Europe, he would have 2-3 years of pro experience by now - few would argue with that.

Sammy*

Voodoo Daddy said:
Yeah, i think Burns/Zherdev would've made a bit more sense.
The point is the same.Use Ovechkin or Zherdev, it doesnt really matter. Its just using a more accomplished player as the example is more illustrative of the lunacy of his point.

X-SHARKIE

KillToronto is one of the most imature posters i've ever seen on this board....and thats saying alot coming from me.

Jesus Christ.... This isnt about..... Sabre fans Vs Sharks fans...It's about Michalek VS Vanek..

Pre draft months I was torn over who to ruite for...Vanek or Michalek...ask anyone... I got crapped on for not taking Michalek untill a week before the draft. I love Vanek. I just love Michalek more..

I really doubt KillToronto seen him play.

I do think Thomas Vanek is going to be an all star in this league. He's going to put up big numbers...I think Michalek well also make the all star team, he Wont have the numbers mabey that Thomas does but I think he'll be a much better all around hockey player.

Calling Michalek soft btw is the dumbest thing i've seen on this post Killtoronto...

He's a physical speciman, he's 6-2 and he's 220 pounds ...He won almost every single fitness test on the team this season.
Playing in the CZECH extra league is much harder then playing WCHA... So dont really look into the stats.

Grow up Killtoronto seriosly... No one is really going to respect you except for homer Sabres fans after what you've been saying. Once again I love Vanek, I think very highly of him. But I liked Michalek pre draft day even, I jumped for Joy ...Really I when the Sharks taken him. Everyone in San jose did, Except for Kevin. Lol.

I live in Wisconsin so I see alot of Badger games as well as any WCHA opponet. So i've seen Vanek quite a bit. Vanek is alot more lazy then Heatly ever was. Heatly worked hard to get bigger, he worked in practice. In his sophmore year he didnt look as intrested in the NCAA game. Vanek is heatly x's 10 in the lazieness compartment. I've never seen somone dog it so much in big games as Vanek does, Yes he's clutch. He comes on when he wants to. Thats the thing. He's almost uncoachable. I've seen the coach screaming at him one game last year, next shift he came out even worse. He sat the next shift. He's a baby. I Hate that in a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad