Vanek or Michalek

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillToronto

Vanek has continued to be a big-time scorer for the University of Minnesota. However, in addition, he has also developed a mean-streak in him and he has crashed the net with authority in a number of games. Vanek all the way.

Robert Paulson*

I'd take Michalek.

Yeah, he has a torn ACL or MCL, can't remember exactly what, but he's out another 3 1/2 or 3 months.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Never seen Michalek play, but based on this weekends series between North Dakota and Minnesota, the comparisons between Vanek and Brendl are legitimate.
Vanek's talent level is obvious as there were some flashes of brilliance when he made ND d-men look stupid. But the guy floated around all weekend, made numerous errant passes (a couple resulted in ND goals), and was a genuine non-factor in 2 huge games for both sides. The guy is so lazy it's not even funny. Then again, Minnesota as a whole played very uninspired hockey.

X-SHARKIE

Michalek, He's going to be the guy that people wish they drafted in 2003.

A good, fast skater with excellent balance and fine acceleration. . .extremely high overall skill level. . .talented player with great moves. . .good hands, effective in traffic and has a good, quickshot. . .creative playmaker and a good passer. . .strong and aggressive in the corners and along the boards. . .can play tough when needed. . .useful offensive player. . .good size and strong on his skates. . .can play both center and wing. . .plays a strong two-way game.

He's going to be somthing, :) Good for my SHarks..But I also really like Vanek...But with not much difficulty I would take Michalek.

X-SHARKIE

Jacobv2 said:
I'd probably pick Michalek if he hadn't injured his knee.

lol, So many athletes have come back from a torn acl without any problems. I wouldnt base your answer on that. Marian Hossa just look at him. Sharks have one of the best medical staffs if not the best in the NHL. Dr. Ting Did the same opperation on Tony Granato in January 16th 2000, he came april 6th 2000. So don't let the knee injurey dictate the decision at all. Come 2004-2005 and on it wont be anything.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

TVanek26*

X-SHARKIE said:
lol, So many athletes have come back from a torn acl without any problems. I wouldnt base your answer on that. Marian Hossa just look at him. Sharks have one of the best medical staffs if not the best in the NHL. Dr. Ting Did the same opperation on Tony Granato in January 16th 2000, he came april 6th 2000. So don't let the knee injurey dictate the decision at all. Come 2004-2005 and on it wont be anything.

Tell that to Pavel Bure and Terrell Davis and so on.Torn ACL's are big problems.Anyone remember Denis Hamel 2 years ago?8 goals in 40 games for the Sabres as a rookie, playing amazing hockey.He is racing for a puck and Zdeno Chara falls on top of his leg, and he hasn't fully recovered yet, and it's been 3 years?If Michalek tears his ACL again, he will be considered an injury prone player.He'll get the Eric Lindros syndrome and not go in the corners.I was a big Michalek advocate before the draft but when Michalek's offensive abilities came to question, I was changed.Michalek is going to be a good defensive player, but he won't be more then a 20 goal scorer.

Dr_Chimera*

I would say that if I had to re-do my list for the 2003 draft, I would place Vanek second (obviously behind Fleury).

Vanek is that good. He's a scoring god - awesome hands, knows where to be at all times, has deceptive speed, tricky puck moves and a true clutch mentality. This guy is a good a bet as any among prospects - a much better bet than Zherdev as he is already as proven a scorer as they get.

Maybe the best collegian last year - as for this year, no contest.

As for Michalek - he's a solid player, just not what scouts would call a surefire star. Vanek, conversely, will be a star - you can book it - unless injuries limit him, but there's no indication of such things happening.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Depends on what you need...

Michalek is a great two way player with good offensive upside

Vanek is an extremely good goal scorer with huge offensive abilities.

For my Predators......Vanek quite easily

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
I would say that if I had to re-do my list for the 2003 draft, I would place Vanek second (obviously behind Fleury).

Vanek is that good. He's a scoring god - awesome hands, knows where to be at all times, has deceptive speed, tricky puck moves and a true clutch mentality. This guy is a good a bet as any among prospects - a much better bet than Zherdev as he is already as proven a scorer as they get.

As for Michalek - he's a solid player, just not what scouts would call a surefire star. Vanek, conversely, will be a star - you can book it - unless injuries limit him, but there's no indication of such things happening.
finally somebody that adree with me that Vanek is one of the most creative goal scorer i've ever seen ..

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:

So what say you about his supposed laziness (aka brendl-itis)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad